- •The aim of this study was to evaluate the morphologic aspects of the root canal anatomy of the distal root of mandibular first molars using micro–computed tomographic analysis.
- •The percentage of the morphologic configuration of the root canal was performed according to Vertucci’s classification. Two-dimensional parameters (area, perimeter, roundness, aspect ratio, and major and minor diameters) and the cross-sectional shape of the root canal were also analyzed.
- •The distal roots of the mandibular first molars showed a high prevalence of single root canals. The prevalence of long oval and flattened canals increased in the coronal direction. In 13% of the samples, canal configurations that were not included in the Vertucci configuration system were found.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Root canal anatomy of the human permanent teeth.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1984; 58: 589-599
- Root canal morphology and its relationship to endodontic procedures.Endod Topics. 2005; 10: 3-29
- Endodontic working width: current concepts and techniques.Dent Clin North Am. 2004; 48: 323-335
- Prevalence and extent of long oval canals in the apical third.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2000; 89: 739-743
- Microcomputed tomography analysis of the root canal morphology of single-rooted mandibular canines.Int Endod J. 2013; 46: 800-807
- Root and canal morphology of Burmese mandibular molars.Int Endod J. 2001; 34: 359-370
- Root and canal morphology of Thai mandibular molars.Int Endod J. 2002; 35: 56-62
- Evaluation of the root canal configurations of the mandibular and maxillary permanent teeth by gender in the Turkish population.J Endod. 2004; 30: 391-398
- Micro-computed tomography study of the internal anatomy of mesial root canals of mandibular molars.J Endod. 2011; 37: 1682-1686
- Root canal morphology of permanent three-rooted mandibular first molars—part I: pulp floor and root canal system.J Endod. 2010; 36: 990-994
- Preparation of oval-shaped root canals in mandibular molars using nickel-titanium rotary instruments: a micro-computed tomography study.J Endod. 2010; 36: 703-707
- Root canal morphology of primary molars: a micro-computed tomography study.Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2014; 15: 317-326
- Micro–computed tomographic analysis of the root canal morphology of mandibular incisors.J Endod. 2014; 40: 710-716
- Morphologic micro-computed tomography analysis of mandibular premolars with three root canals.J Endod. 2013; 39: 1130-1135
- Root and root canal morphology of four-rooted maxillary second molars: a micro-computed tomography study.J Endod. 2012; 38: 977-982
- Enamel pearls in permanent dentition: case report and micro-CT evaluation.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2013; 42: 20120332
- Micro-computed tomography analysis of the root canal anatomy and prevalence of oval canals in mandibular incisors.J Endod. 2013; 39: 1529-1533
- Detection of various anatomic patterns of root canals in mandibular incisors using digital periapical radiography, 3 cone-beam computed tomographic scanners, and micro-computed tomographic imaging.J Endod. 2014; 40: 42-45
- Comparison of alternative image reformatting techniques in micro-computed tomography and tooth clearing for detailed canal morphology.J Endod. 2014; 40: 417-422
- Micro-computed tomography evaluation of the preparation of long oval root canals in mandibular molars with the Self-Adjusting File.J Endod. 2011; 37: 517-521
- Impact of cross-sectional root canal shape on filled canal volume and remaining root filling material after retreatment.Int Endod J. 2013; 46: 547-555
- An anatomic investigation of the mandibular first molar using micro-computed tomography.J Endod. 2013; 39: 1374-1378
- Root canal morphology of mandibular permanent molars at different ages.Int Endod J. 2008; 41: 828-835
- Root canal systems of the mandibular and maxillary first permanent molar teeth of south Asian Pakistanis.Int Endod J. 2001; 34: 263-266
- Root anatomy and canal configuration of the permanent mandibular first molar: a systematic review.J Endod. 2010; 36: 1919-1931
- Root and canal morphology of mandibular first and second permanent molar teeth in a Ugandan population.Odontology. 2009; 97: 92-96
- The anatomy of two-rooted mandibular canines determined using micro-computed tomography.Int Endod J. 2011; 44: 682-687
- Correlative bacteriologic and micro-computed tomographic analysis of mandibular molar mesial canals prepared by Self-adjusting File, Reciproc, and Twisted File systems.J Endod. 2013; 39: 1044-1050
- Roentgenographic investigation of frequency and degree of canal curvatures in human permanent teeth.J Endod. 2002; 28: 211-216
- Microbial status of apical root canal system of human mandibular first molars with primary apical periodontitis after “one-visit” endodontic treatment.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2005; 99: 231-252