- •Fiber and metal posts present similar survival rates in clinical studies.
- •The incidence of root fractures observed among metal and fiber posts was similar.
- •In clinical trials, metal posts showed a higher incidence of root fractures.
- •Cast posts result in less root fracture than metal prefabricated metal posts.
- •The incidence of root fracture was lower for glass fiber than carbon fiber posts.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A review of the management of endodontically treated teeth. Post, core and the final restoration.J Am Dent Assoc. 2005; 136: 611-619
- Fibre-based post systems: a review.Br Dent J. 2003; 195 (discussion 37): 43-48
- Comparison of fracture resistance between cast posts and fiber posts: a meta-analysis of literature.J Endod. 2013; 39: 11-15
- Can fiber posts increase root stresses and reduce fracture?.J Dent Res. 2010; 89: 587-591
- An up to 3-year controlled clinical trial comparing the outcome of glass fiber posts and composite cores with gold alloy-based posts and cores for the restoration of endodontically treated teeth.Int J Prosthodont. 2011; 24: 363-372
- A randomized controlled trial of endodontically treated and restored premolars.J Dent Res. 2012; 91: 72S-78S
- The Cochrane Collaboration's tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.BMJ. 2011; 343: d5928
- The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for Assessing the Quality of Nonrandomised Studies in Meta-analyses.Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, University of Ottawa, Canada2000
- Meta-analysis of rare binary adverse event data.J Am Stat Assoc. 2012; 107: 555-567
- The combination of estimates from different experiments.Biometrics. 1954; 10: 101
- Quantifying heterogeneity in a meta-analysis.Stat Med. 2002; 21: 1539-1558
- A basic introduction to fixed-effect and random-effects models for meta-analysis.Res Synth Methods. 2010; 1: 97-111
- Operating characteristics of a rank correlation test for publication bias.Biometrics. 1994; 50: 1088-1101
- Investigating and dealing with publication and other biases in meta-analysis.BMJ. 2001; 323: 101-105
- A 5-year prospective clinical study on core restorations without covering crowns.Int J Prosthodont. 2005; 18: 40-41
- Four post-and-core combinations as abutments for fixed single crowns: a prospective up to 10-year study.Int J Prosthodont. 2003; 16: 249-254
- Long-term retrospective study of the clinical performance of fiber posts.Am J Dent. 2007; 20: 287-291
- A 10-year retrospective study of the survival rate of teeth restored with metal prefabricated posts versus cast metal posts and cores.J Dent. 2010; 38: 916-920
- A 15-year clinical comparative study of the cumulative survival rate of cast metal core and resin core restorations luted with adhesive resin cement.Int J Prosthodont. 2010; 23: 397-405
- A comparison of composite post buildups and cast gold post-and-core buildups for the restoration of nonvital teeth after 5 to 10 years.Int J Prosthodont. 2007; 20: 63-69
- Clinical evaluation of a carbon fibre reinforced carbon endodontic post.J Oral Rehabil. 2003; 30: 785-789
- Randomized clinical comparison of endodontically treated teeth restored with amalgam or with fiber posts and resin composite: five-year results.Oper Dent. 2005; 30: 9-15
- 10-year survival evaluation for glass-fiber-supported postendodontic restoration: a prospective observational clinical study.J Endod. 2012; 38: 432-435
- A retrospective long term study of teeth restored with prefabricated carbon fiber reinforced epoxy resin posts.Swed Dent J. 2006; 30: 1-8
- Long-term survival of endodontically treated, maxillary anterior teeth restored with either tapered or parallel-sided glass-fiber posts and full-ceramic crown coverage.J Dent. 2009; 37: 115-121
- Rigid versus flexible dentine-like endodontic posts—clinical testing of a biomechanical concept: seven-year results of a randomized controlled clinical pilot trial on endodontically treated abutment teeth with severe hard tissue loss.J Endod. 2012; 38: 1557-1563
- Retrospective study of tapered, smooth post systems in place for 10 years or more.J Endod. 1991; 17: 293-297
- Sources of heterogeneity in the meta-analysis of observational studies: the example of SIDS and sleeping position.J Clin Epidemiol. 2001; 54: 440-447
- Recommendations for conducting controlled clinical studies of dental restorative materials.Clin Oral Investig. 2007; 11: 5-33