- •The morphometric aspects of the internal anatomy of the root canal system of mandibular second molars with C-shaped canals were evaluated.
- •Morphometric parameters, including the major and minor diameters of the root canals, the aspect ratio, the roundness, and the tridimensional configuration (merging, symmetric, and asymmetric), were evaluated. The root canal cross sections were recorded as C1, C2, C3, and C4 root canal configurations according to the modified Melton classification.
- •Mandibular molars with C-shaped root canals exhibited similar distributions of symmetric, asymmetric, and merging type canals. The C1 and the distal aspect of the C2 configurations exhibited high area values, low roundness values, and greater apical diameters.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Micro-computed tomography study of the internal anatomy of mesial root canals of mandibular molars.J Endod. 2011; 37: 1682-1686
- Correlative bacteriologic and micro-computed tomographic analysis of mandibular molar mesial canals prepared by self-adjusting file, reciproc, and twisted file systems.J Endod. 2013; 39: 1044-1050
- Root canal anatomy of the human permanent teeth.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1984; 58: 589-599
- Root canal anatomy of mandibular second molars. Part II. C-shaped canals.Int Endod J. 1990; 23: 40-45
- Anatomical and histological features of C-shaped canals in mandibular second molars.J Endod. 1991; 17: 384-388
- Incidence of C-shaped root canal systems in mandibular second molars in the native Chinese population by analysis of clinical methods.Int J Oral Sci. 2012; 4: 161-165
- C-shaped root canal system in mandibular second molars in a Chinese population evaluated by cone-beam computed tomography.Int Endod J. 2011; 44: 857-862
- C-shaped root canals of mandibular second molars in a Korean population: clinical observation and in vitro analysis.Int Endod J. 2004; 37: 139-144
- Anatomical study of C-shaped canals in mandibular second molars by analysis of computed tomography.J Endod. 2006; 32: 10-13
- C-shaped canal system in mandibular second molars. Part III: the morphology of the pulp chamber floor.J Endod. 2006; 32: 1155-1159
- C-shaped canal system in mandibular second molars: part I–anatomical features.J Endod. 2004; 30: 899-903
- C-shaped canal system in mandibular second molars part IV: 3-D morphological analysis and transverse measurement.J Endod. 2006; 32: 1062-1065
- Histological evaluation of the effectiveness of five instrumentation techniques for cleaning the apical third of root canals.J Endod. 1997; 23: 499-502
- A primary observation on the preparation and obturation of oval canals.Int Endod J. 2001; 34: 137-141
- Impact of cross-sectional root canal shape on filled canal volume and remaining root filling material after retreatment.Int Endod J. 2013; 46: 547-555
Measurement AUsfta. Standard practice for characterization of particles. In: ASTM American Society for Testing and Measurement; 2010:15.
- Microcomputed tomography analysis of the root canal morphology of single-rooted mandibular canines.Int Endod J. 2013; 46: 800-807
- Prevalence of C-shaped root canal in a Brazilian subpopulation: a cone-beam computed tomography analysis.Braz Oral Res. 2013; 28: 39-45
- Evaluation of root canal configuration of mandibular molars in a Brazilian population by using cone-beam computed tomography: an in vivo study.J Endod. 2013; 39: 849-852
- C-shaped canal system in mandibular second molars: part II–radiographic features.J Endod. 2004; 30: 904-908
- Identification of C-shaped canal in mandibular second molars. Part I: radiographic and anatomical features revealed by intraradicular contrast medium.J Endod. 2007; 33: 806-810
- Morphometric observations on the root canals of human molars.J Endod. 1977; 3: 114-118
- Prevalence and extent of long oval canals in the apical third.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2000; 89: 739-743
- Endodontic working width: current concepts and techniques.Dent Clin North Am. 2004; 48: 323-335
- Micro-computed tomographic comparison of nickel-titanium rotary versus traditional instruments in C-shaped root canal system.J Endod. 2010; 36: 708-712
- The challenge of C-shaped canal systems: a comparative study of the self-adjusting file and ProTaper.J Endod. 2012; 38: 209-214
- Evaluation of a rotary instrumentation method for C-shaped canals with micro-computed tomography.J Endod. 2008; 34: 1233-1238
- The in vivo evaluation of hand/rotary/ultrasound instrumentation in necrotic, human mandibular molars.J Endod. 2007; 33: 782-787