A mandibular first molar with more than four canals is an interesting example of anatomic variations, especially when four of these canals are located in distal roots. This report describes a case of a mandibular first molar with six canals (two mesial and four distal canals in two distal roots). The canals were equipped with a K-file and irrigated with NaOCl (5.25%) and normal saline as the final irrigant. The canals were filled laterally with gutta percha and AH26 sealer (De Trey, Dentsply, Switzerland). This case shows a rare anatomic configuration and points out the importance of looking for additional canals.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pathways of the pulp.in: 9th ed. Mosby, St Louis2005: 220
- Root canal anatomy of the human permanent teeth.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1984; 58: 589-599
- Mesiodistal and buccolingual roentgenographic investigation of 7,275 root canals.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1972; 33: 101-110
- A study of the dental pulp cavity of mandibular first permanent molars in the Kuwait population.J Endod. 1998; 24: 125-127
- Seven canals in a lower first molar.J Endod. 1998; 24: 497-499
- Mandibular first molars with multiple mesial canals.J Endod. 1994; 20: 610-613
- Root canal morphology of the human mandibular first molar.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1971; 32: 778-784
- Root canal systems of the mandibular and maxillary first permanent molar teeth of South Asian Pakistanis.Int Endod J. 2001; 34: 263-266
- The radix entomolaris in mandibular first molar: an endodontic challenge.Int Endod J. 2004; 37: 789-799
- The radix entomolaris and paramolaris: clinical approach in endodontics.J Endod. 2007; 33: 58-63
- A retrospective study of endodontically treated mandibular first molars in a Chinese population.J Endod. 1993; 19: 471-473
- Incidence of an accessory distal root on mandibular first permanent molars in Hispanic children.ASDC J Dent Child. 1986; 53: 122-123
- Study of the number of roots and canals in Senegalese first permanent mandibular molars.Int Endod J. 1998; 31: 117-122
- Three rooted mandibular permanent molars in English Caucasian.J Dent Res. 1973; 52: 181-183
- Three rooted lower molars in man and their racial distribution.Br Dent J. 1938; 64: 264-274
- Three rooted lower first permanent molars in Hong Kong Chinase.Br Dent J. 1985; 159: 298-299
Published online: October 16, 2007
© 2007 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.