The regeneration of the periodontal structure for avulsed teeth extended dry times has been a goal of dentists. The aim of this study was to investigate a new strategy of delayed replantation for avulsed teeth that were not suitable for immediate replantation.
Extracted dog's premolar teeth were maintained in a dry environment for a month after isolation and proliferation of the periodontal ligament (PDL) cells. Then, tooth roots coated with 1 × 106 cultured autologous PDL cells were autotransplanted in artificial sockets created in the mandible. The dogs were sacrificed 60 days after transplantation. Histologic analyses showed that a root-PDL-bone complex was found in all cases of the PDL cell–loaded samples.
The new PDL-like connective tissue was located between the alveolar bone and the transplanted roots, with fibers inserting into the newborn cementum on one end and alveolar bone on the other. For the control samples, no PDL-like tissue was found, and ankylosis was commonly observed.
The results indicated that cultured autologous PDL cells assist in the re-establishment of periodontal architecture of autotransplanted teeth that is devoid of viable periodontal cells.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The tooth attachment mechanism defined by structure, chemical composition and mechanical properties of collagen fibers in the periodontium.Biomaterials. 2007; 28: 5238-5245
- Replantation 2. The role of the periodontal ligament.J Endod. 1980; 6: 506-508
- Effects of temperature, storage time and media on periodontal and pulpal healing after replantation of incisors in monkeys.Dent Traumatol. 2002; 18: 190-195
- Replantation of 400 avulsed permanent incisors. 4. Factors related to periodontal ligament healing.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1995; 11: 76-89
- Preserving avulsed teeth for replantation.J Am Dent Assoc. 1992; 123: 80-88
- A postreplantation evaluation of air-dried and saliva-stored avulsed teeth.J Endod. 1980; 6: 546-551
- Storage of experimentally avulsed teeth in milk prior to replantation.J Dent Res. 1983; 62: 912-916
- Results after replantation of avulsed permanent teeth. I. Endodontic considerations.Dent Traumatol. 2005; 21: 80-92
- Effect of extra-alveolar period and storage media upon periodontal and pulpal healing after replantation of mature permanent incisors in monkeys.Int J Oral Surg. 1981; 10: 43-53
- Healing of 400 intra-alveolar root fractures. 2. Effect of treatment factors such as treatment delay, repositioning, splinting type and period and antibiotics.Dent Traumatol. 2004; 20: 203-211
- A long-term study of 370 autotransplanted premolars. Part I. Surgical procedures and standardized techniques for monitoring healing.Eur J Orthod. 1990; 12: 3-13
- A long-term study of 370 autotransplanted premolars. Part IV. Root development subsequent to transplantation.Eur J Orthod. 1990; 12: 38-50
- A long-term study of 370 autotransplanted premolars. Part II. Tooth survival and pulp healing subsequent to transplantation.Eur J Orthod. 1990; 12: 14-24
- A long-term study of 370 autotransplanted premolars. Part III. Periodontal healing subsequent to transplantation.Eur J Orthod. 1990; 12: 25-37
- New philosophy for the treatment of avulsed teeth.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1995; 79: 616-623
- Delayed replantation of avulsed mature teeth with calcium hydroxide treatment.J Endod. 2000; 26: 472-476
- Cell survival within pulp and periodontal constructs.J Endod. 2009; 35: 63-66
- Interrelation between alveolar bone and periodontal ligament repair after replantation of mature permanent incisors in monkeys.J Periodont Res. 1981; 16: 228-235
- Is fibroblast heterogeneity relevant to the health, diseases, and treatments of periodontal tissues?.Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 1997; 8: 253-268
- Formation of differentiated tissues in vivo by periodontal cell populations cultured in vitro.J Dent Res. 1995; 74: 1219-1225
- The origin of fibroblasts and their role in the early stages of horizontal furcation defect healing in the beagle dog.J Periodontol. 1995; 66: 716-730
- Investigation of multipotent postnatal stem cells from human periodontal ligament.Lancet. 2004; 364: 149-155
- Phenotypic comparison of periodontal ligament cells in vivo and in vitro.J Periodont Res. 2001; 36: 71-79
- Apical tooth germ cell-conditioned medium enhances the differentiation of periodontal ligament stem cells into cementum/periodontal ligament-like tissues.J Periodont Res. 2009; 44: 199-210
- Effect of intracanal corticosteroids on healing of replanted dog teeth after extended dry times.J Endod. 2009; 35: 663-667
- Occlusal forces promote periodontal healing of transplanted teeth and prevent dentoalveolar ankylosis: an experimental study in rats.Angle Orthod. 2005; 75: 637-644
- Adhesion and growth of bone marrow stromal cells on modified alginate hydrogels.Tissue Eng. 2004; 10: 1480-1491
- Cell-interactive alginate hydrogels for bone tissue engineering.J Dent Res. 2001; 80: 2025-2029
Published online: October 28, 2009
Supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China Grant.
© 2010 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.