After a traumatic injury to the upper central incisors of a 7-year-old patient, avulsion of tooth #9 and pulp exposure after crown fracture of tooth #8 were managed.
After immediate replacement of tooth #9 in its socket, teeth were splinted for 3 weeks. No endodontic treatment was performed on tooth #9, but pulp capping was performed with mineral trioxide aggregate (Pro Root MTA; Dentsply Maillefer, Ballaigues, Switzerland) on #8, and both teeth were restored with composite resin. The teeth were monitored every 3 months for 2 years.
At 24 months, both teeth responded positively to electrometric tests and roots showed normal development, but an abnormal reduction in the size of the root canal space of tooth#8 was observed.
Based on these observations, we discuss odontoblast behavior in the context of the stage of dentinogenesis and the probable disturbance of regulation of the physiologic dentinogenic secretory processes in the pathologic situation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cells and extracellular matrices of dentin and pulp: a biological basis for repair and tissue engineering.Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2004; 15: 13-27
- Understanding pulp biology for routine clinical practice.ENDO Endodontic Practice Today. 2009; 3: 171-184
- Designing new treatment strategies in vital pulp therapy.J Dent. 2000; 28: 77-92
- Induction and regulation of crown dentinogenesis: embryonic events as a template for dental tissue repair?.Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2001; 12: 425-437
- The use of mineral trioxide aggregate cement (MTA) as a pulp capping material (abstract).J Endod. 1996; 22: 199
- Using mineral trioxide aggregate as pulp capping material.J Am Dent Assoc. 1996; 127: 1491-1494
- Clinical applications of mineral trioxide aggregate.J Endod. 1999; 25: 197-205
- Histological, ultrastructural and quantitative investigations on the response of healthy human pulps to experimental capping with mineral trioxide aggregate: a randomized controlled trial.Int Endod J. 2008; 41: 128-150
- Evaluation of a new laboratory model for pulp healing: preliminary study.Int Endod J. 2008; 41: 781-790
- Guidelines for the management of traumatic dental injuries. II. Avulsion of permanent teeth.Dent Traumatol. 2007; 23: 130-136
- Prognosis of luxated permanent teeth—the development of pulp necrosis.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1985; 1: 207-220
- Luxation injuries of permanent teeth: feneral findings.in: Andreasen J.O. Andreasen F.M. Andersson L. Textbook and Color Atlas of Traumatic Injuries to the Teeth. 4th ed. Muksgaard, Blackwell2008: 372-378
- Long-term prognosis of traumatized permanent anterior teeth showing calcifying processes in the pulp cavity.Scand J Dent Res. 1977; 85: 588-598
- Molecular characterisation of young and mature odontoblasts.Bone. 2009; 45: 693-703
- The radiographic outcomes of direct pulp-capping procedures performed by dental students: a retrospective study.J Am Dent Assoc. 2006; 137: 1699-1705
- Pulp capping of carious exposures: treatment outcome after 5 and 10 years: a retrospective study.J Endod. 2000; 26: 525-528
- Direct pulp capping treatment: a long-term follow-up.J Am Dent Assoc. 1978; 97: 607-612
Published online: November 06, 2009
© 2010 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.