Successful endodontic treatment is dependent on a perfect knowledge of normal root canal anatomy and variations from the norm. This study was aimed to investigate the root canal anatomy of mandibular first premolars by both radiography and cross-sectional methods in an Iranian population.
Two hundred seventeen extracted human mandibular first premolars were used. Radiographs were taken in both mesiodistal and buccolingual directions for each premolar. Then, all the teeth were decoronated at the cementoenamel junction and resected perpendicular to their long axes into three equal sections and stained with fuscin. Digital photographs of the cross-sectional root surfaces were taken and surveyed at 40× magnification. The root canal configuration types were determined separately by radiographs and cross-sectional images for each premolar.
Out of 217 teeth examined, 192 (88.47%) had a single root canal. The remaining 25 teeth (11.53%) showed two canals in at least one cross-section of their roots with five root canal configurations. In the mesiodistal (MD) radiographs, only 5.99% of premolars showed two canals with three root canal configurations.
One-hundred ninety two out of 217premolars showed one canal in both cross-section and MD radiography. Only 7 premolars were diagnosed as having more than one canal with the same canal configuration in both cross-sections and MD radiography methods.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Principles and practice of endodontics.4th ed. Saunders, St. Louis2009 (216–8)
- Endodontic management of a mandibular second premolar with four roots and four root canals with the aid of spiral computed tomography: a case report.J Endod. 2008; 34: 104-107
- Contemporary endodontic retreatments: an analysis based on clinical treatment findings.J Endod. 2002; 28: 834-836
- Three canal mand ibular first and second premolars: a treatment approach. A case report.J Endod. 2005; 31: 474-476
- Root canal anatomy. Road map to successful endodontics.Dent Clin North Am. 1979; 23: 555-573
- Mandibular premolars with more than one root canal in different race groups.J Endod. 1986; 12: 343-345
- Complicated root canal morphology of mandibular first premolar in a Chinese population using the cross section method.J Endod. 2006; 32: 932-936
- Root canal morphology of mandibular first and second premolars.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1973; 36: 738-744
- Root canal anatomy of mandibular first premolars in a southern Chinese population.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1988; 4: 226-228
- The root and root canal morphology of the human mandibular first premolar: a literature review.JEndod. 2007; 33: 509-516
- Investigation of the root canal configurations of mandibular permanent teeth in the Turkish population.Int Endod J. 2004; 37: 494-499
- Root canal configuration of the mandibular first premolar.J Endod. 1992; 18: 505-508
- Root canal systems in mandibular first premolars with C-shaped root configurations. Part I: microcomputed tomography mapping of the radicular groove and associated root canal cross sections.J Endod. 2008; 34: 1337-1341
- Root canal anatomy of the human permanent teeth.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1984; 58: 589-599
- C-shaped canal system in mandibular second molars: part I-anatomical features.J Endod. 2004; 30: 899-903
- Roentgenographic in vitro investigation of frequency and location of curvatures in human maxillary premolars.J Endod. 2006; 32: 307-311
- The root and root canal morphology of the human mandibular second premolar: a literature review.J Endod. 2007; 33: 1031
- Endodontics.5th ed. BC Decker, Hamilton2002 (447–50)
- Endodontic treatment of a mandibular second premolar with four canals using operating microscope.J Endod. 2007; 33: 318-321
- Pathways of the pulp.9th ed. Mosby, St.Louis2006 (227–8)
Published online: December 07, 2009
Supported by Tehran University of Medical Sciences & Health Services. Tehran, Iran.
© 2010 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.