This study compared the fracture resistances and the failure patterns of 100 simulated mandibular premolars of a different number of coronal walls (zero to four walls) with or without fiber-reinforced composite (FRC) posts. In addition, the photoelastic stress distribution was analyzed.
The fracture resistance was measured at a 45° angle with a crosshead speed of 1 mm/min, and the failure patterns were observed. The photoelastic stress distribution of specimens with or without FRC posts was also evaluated. The fracture resistance was analyzed by analysis of variance and a Duncan's multiple range test (p<0.05).
In the no post groups, the fracture resistances decreased significantly in groups with two or fewer walls. The FRC post increased fracture resistances significantly, except for the zero-wall group, and optimized the failure patterns. A high stress concentration was observed along the canal space in the no post groups; stress seemed to be distributed in post groups in photoelasticity.
Within the limitation of the experimental methods of this study, the FRC post was advantageous in lower premolars, especially with two or more walls in terms of the fracture resistance and stress distribution.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Are endodontically treated teeth more brittle?.J Endod. 1992; 18: 332-335
- Effect of different all-ceramic crown system on fracture resistance and failure pattern of endodontically treated maxillary premolars restored with and without glass fiber posts.J Endod. 2007; 33: 848-851
- Intermittent loading of teeth restored using quartz fiber, carbon-quartz fiber, and zirconium dioxide ceramic root canal posts.J Adhes Dent. 1999; 1: 153-158
- Light transmission through a translucent fiber post.J Endod. 2008; 34: 299-302
- Effect of adhesive resin cements and post surface silanization on the bond strengths of adhesively inserted fiber posts.J Endod. 2007; 33: 840-843
- The effect of different full-coverage crown systems on fracture resistance and failure pattern of endodontically treated maxillary incisors restored with and without glass fiber posts.J Endod. 2008; 34: 842-846
- Clinical performance of fiber post restorations in endodontically treated teeth: 2-year results.Int J Prosthodont. 2007; 20: 293-298
- Effect of remaining dentine structure and thermal-mechanical aging on the fracture resistance of bovine roots with different post and core systems.Int Endod J. 2008; 41: 969-976
- Relationship between crown placement and the survival of endodontically treated teeth.J Prosthet Dent. 2002; 87: 256-263
- Photoelastic stress analysis of different post and core restoration methods.Dent Mater J. 2009; 28: 204-211
- Photomechanical investigations on post endodontically rehabilitated teeth.J Biomed Opt. 2002; 7: 262-270
- Fracture resistance and failure patterns of endodontically treated mandibular molars restored using resin composite with or without translucent glass fiber posts.J Endod. 2006; 32: 752-755
- Microleakage and fracture patterns of teeth restored with different posts under dynamic loading.J Prosthet Dent. 2007; 98: 270-276
- Ferrule design and fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth.J Prosthet Dent. 1990; 63: 529-536
- Influence of test parameters on in vitro fracture resistance of post-endodontic restorations: a structured review.J Oral Rehabil. 2009; 36: 299-312
- Load-induced stresses in photoelastic primary canines with facial restorations.J Dent Child. 2006; 73: 170-174
- Photoelastic stress analysis of implant-tooth connected prostheses with segmented and nonsegmented abutments.J Prosthet Dent. 2003; 89: 495-502
- In vitro fracture resistance and deflection of pulpless teeth restored with fiber posts and prepared for veneers.J Endod. 2008; 34: 838-841
- Surface debris of canal walls after post space preparation in endodontically treated teeth: a scanning electron microscopic study.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2004; 97: 381-387
- Influence of post fit and post length on fracture resistance.Int Endod J. 2009; 42: 47-53
- Bond strength of fiber posts to weakened roots after resin restoration with different light-curing times.J Endod. 2009; 35: 1034-1039
- Fracture resistance of weakened roots restored with a transilluminating post and adhesive restorative materials.J Prosthet Dent. 2006; 96: 339-344
- The influence of cavity design and glass fiber posts on biomechanical behavior of endodontically treated premolars.J Endod. 2008; 34: 1015-1019
- Restoration of pulpless teeth: application of traditional principles in present and future contexts.J Prosthet Dent. 1996; 75: 375-380
- Fracture strength and survival rate of endodontically treated maxillary incisors with approximal cavities after restoration with different post and core systems: an in-vitro study.J Dent. 2001; 29: 427-433
- Fracture resistance of upper and lower incisors restored with glass fiber reinforced posts.J Endod. 2006; 32: 328-330
- In vitro fracture resistance and marginal adaptation of metallic and tooth-coloured post systems.J Oral Rehabil. 2004; 31: 675-681
- Structural resistance in immature teeth using root reinforcements in vitro.Dent Traumatol. 2005; 21: 155-159
- Fracture resistance of pulpless teeth restored with post-cores and crowns.Dent Mater. 2006; 22: 477-485
- Reflection photoelasticity: a new method for studies of clinical mechanics in prosthetic dentistry.Dent Mater. 2003; 19: 106-117
- Photoelastic analysis of stress distribution in oral rehabilitation.J Craniofac Surg. 2009; 20: 471-474
- Is adhesive cementation of endodontic posts necessary?.J Endod. 2008; 34: 1006-1010
- Foundation restorations in fixed prosthodontics: current knowledge and future needs.J Prosthet Dent. 1999; 82: 643-657
- Effect of post design on resistance to fracture of endodontically treated teeth with complete crowns.J Prosthet Dent. 1993; 69: 36-40
- Three-year clinical comparison of survival of endodontically treated teeth restored with either full cast coverage or with direct composite restoration.J Prosthet Dent. 2002; 88: 297-301
Published online: December 11, 2009
Supported by the Korea Research Foundation Grant funded by the Korean Government (MOEHRD, Basic Research Promotion Fund) (KRF-2008-531-E00071).
© 2010 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.