The use of biocompatible materials like mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA) may improve the prognosis of teeth with root perforations.
The treatment outcome of root perforations repaired between 2000 and 2006 with MTA was investigated. Twenty-six patients received treatment with MTA in 26 teeth with root perforations. Treatment was performed by supervised undergraduate students (29%), general dentists (52%), or dentists who had focused on endodontics (19%). Perforation repair by all treatment providers was performed using a dental operating microscope. Calibrated examiners assessed clinical and radiographic outcome 12 to 65 months after treatment (median 33 months, 81% recall rate). Pre-, intra-, and postoperative information relating to potential prognostic factors was evaluated.
Of 21 teeth examined, 18 teeth (86%) were classified as healed. None of the analyzed potential prognostic factors had a significant effect on the outcome.
MTA appears to provide a biocompatible and long-term effective seal for root perforations in all parts of the root.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Reaction of the lateral periodontium of dogs' teeth to contaminated and noncontaminated perforations filled with mineral trioxide aggregate.J Endod. 2007; 33: 1192-1197
- Periodontal wound healing following intentional root perforations in permanent teeth of Macaca mulatta.Int Endod J. 1986; 19: 36-44
- A simplified method of treatment for endodontic perforations.J Endod. 1976; 2: 126-134
- An evaluation of the use of amalgam, Cavit, and calcium hydroxide in the repair of furcation perforations.J Endod. 1982; 8: 459-466
- Root perforations. A review of literature.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1994; 78: 368-374
- Treatment of endodontic perforations.J Endod. 1985; 11: 191-192
- Management of endodontic perforations.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1982; 54: 668-677
- Nonsurgical repair of perforation defects. Internal matrix concept.Dent Clin North Am. 1992; 36: 439-457
- An in vitro study of furcation perforation repair using calcium phosphate cement.J Endod. 1997; 23: 588-592
- An in vitro evaluation of plaster of Paris barriers used under amalgam and glass ionomer to repair furcation perforations.J Endod. 1994; 20: 449-452
- Healing of furcation perforations in primate teeth after repair with decalcified freeze-dried bone: a longitudinal study.J Endod. 1993; 19: 357-361
- Root perforations: classification and treatment choices based on prognostic factors.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1996; 12: 255-264
- A clinical and roentgenological study of 55 cases of root perforation.Int Endod J. 1989; 22: 75-84
- Treatment outcome in endodontics: the Toronto study. Phases I and II: Orthograde retreatment.J Endod. 2004; 30: 627-633
- Cellular response to mineral trioxide aggregate.J Endod. 1998; 24: 543-547
- Adhesion of human osteoblasts on root-end filling materials.J Endod. 2000; 26: 404-406
- Effect of apical root-end filling materials on gingival fibroblasts.Int Endod J. 2003; 36: 610-615
- In vitro comparison of the biocompatibility of mineral trioxide aggregate, 4META/MMA-TBB resin, and intermediate restorative material as root-end-filling materials.J Endod. 2007; 33: 1066-1069
- Dye leakage of four root end filling materials: effects of blood contamination.J Endod. 1994; 20: 159-163
- Perforation repair comparing mineral trioxide aggregate and amalgam using an anaerobic bacterial leakage model.J Endod. 1998; 24: 184-186
- ProRoot MTA, MTA-Angelus and IRM used to repair large furcation perforations: sealability study.J Endod. 2008; 34: 59-61
- Use of mineral trioxide aggregate for repair of furcal perforations.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1995; 79: 756-763
- Mineral trioxide aggregate repair of lateral root perforations.J Endod. 2001; 27: 281-284
- Histological evaluation of contaminated furcal perforation in dogs' teeth repaired by MTA with or without internal matrix.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007; 103: e92-e99
- Repair of root perforations using mineral trioxide aggregate: a long-term study.J Endod. 2004; 30: 80-83
- Der Verschluss von Perforationen mit Mineral Trioxide Aggregate (MTA).Endodontie. 2004; 13-3: 243-255
- Perforation repair with mineral trioxide aggregate: a modified matrix concept.Int Endod J. 2005; 38: 59-69
- Clinical and radiographic evaluation of root perforation repair using MTA.N Y State Dent J. 2007; 73: 46-49
- Mineral trioxide aggregate as repair material for furcal perforation: case series.J Endod. 2008; 34: 1130-1133
- Mineral trioxide aggregate obturation: a review and case series.J Endod. 2009; 35: 777-790
- Mineral trioxide aggregate apical plugs in teeth with open apical foramina: a retrospective analysis of treatment outcome.J Endod. 2009; 35: 1354-1358
- The periapical index: a scoring system for radiographic assessment of apical periodontitis.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1986; 2: 20-34
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- Expected outcomes in the prevention and treatment of apical periodontitis.in: Orstavik D. Pitt Ford T. Essential Endodontology: Prevention and Treatment of Apical Periodontitis. Second ed. Blackwell Munksgaard Ltd, Oxford2008: 408-469
- Endodontic success–who's reading the radiograph?.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1972; 33: 432-437
- Accuracy of cone beam computed tomography and panoramic and periapical radiography for detection of apical periodontitis.J Endod. 2008; 34: 273-279
- Endodontic treatment of traumatic root perforations in man. A clinical and roentgenological follow-up study.Sven Tandlak Tidskr. 1972; 65: 457-466
- Evaluation of healing with use of an internal matrix to repair furcation perforations.Int Endod J. 2002; 35: 775-783
- Tissue reaction to implanted super-EBA and mineral trioxide aggregate in the mandible of guinea pigs: a preliminary report.J Endod. 1995; 21: 569-571
- Factors affecting the long-term results of endodontic treatment.J Endod. 1990; 16: 498-504
- Endodontic failure caused by inadequate restorative procedures: review and treatment recommendations.J Prosthet Dent. 2002; 87: 674-678
Published online: December 17, 2009
© 2010 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.