This in vitro study compared the tooth color and the ultrastructure of internal dental tissues before and after internal bleaching.
Sodium perborate was placed in the pulp chamber of endodontically treated molars and sealed with intermediate restorative material. The test samples were stored in a physiologic solution, and the bleaching agent was replaced every 7 days. A control group was used. After 1 month, the colors of the test and control samples were measured with a colorimeter, and the internal surfaces were observed under field emission scanning electron microscopy (FESEM).
Statistically significant differences were found between the test and control sample colors. The FESEM ultrastructure analysis of the internal enamel and dentin surfaces did not show any changes after the internal bleaching.
The results of the present study show that sodium perborate is effective in bleaching nonvital teeth and does not produce ultrastructural changes in the dental tissues.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prognosis of intracoronal bleaching with sodium perborate preparations in vitro: 1- year study.J Endod. 1993; 19: 10-12
- Nonvital tooth bleaching: a review of the literature and clinical procedures.J Endod. 2008; 34: 394-407
- Histochemical analysis of dental hard tissues following bleaching.J Endod. 1996; 22: 23-26
- Effect of 10% carbamide peroxide bleaching gel on enamel microhardness, microstructure, and mineral content.J Endod. 2000; 26: 203-206
- Effect of hydrogen peroxide and sodium perborate on biomechanical properties of human dentin.J Endod. 2002; 28: 62-67
- External resorption associated with bleaching of pulpless teeth.J Endod. 1979; 5: 344-348
- Invasive cervical root resorption: treatment rationale with an interdisciplinary approach.J Endod. 2007; 33: 1383-1387
- Invasive cervical resorption: a case report.J Endod. 2007; 33: 999-1003
- Postbleaching cervical resorption.J Endod. 1986; 12: 262-264
- Cementoenamel junction: microscopic analysis and external cervical resorption.J Endod. 2000; 26: 503-508
- Intracoronal isolating barriers: effect of location on root leakage and effectiveness of bleaching agents.J Endod. 1991; 8: 365-368
- Effect of different protective base materials on hydrogen peroxide leakage during intracoronal bleaching in vitro.J Endod. 1992; 3: 114-117
- An in vitro comparison of bleaching agents on the crowns and roots of discoloured teeth.J Endod. 1990; 10: 463-467
- An in-vitro comparison of different bleaching agents in the discoloured tooth.J Endod. 1989; 15: 106-111
- Tubular permeability to calcium hydroxide and to bleaching agents.J Endod. 1989; 15: 362-364
- Effect of cementum defects on radicular penetration of 30% H2O2 during intracoronal bleaching.J Endod. 1991; 17: 230-233
- Cervical root resorption following bleaching of endodontically treated teeth.J Endod. 1990; 16: 570-574
- Bleaching of discoloured root-filled teeth.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1988; 4: 197-201
- In-vivo measurement of colour changes in natural teeth.J Oral Rehabil. 2000; 27: 786-792
- Sphere spectrophotometer versus human evaluation of tooth shade.J Endod. 1998; 12: 786-790
- Variations of L∗ a∗ b∗ values among Vitapan classical shade guides.J Prosthodont. 2007; 16: 352-356
- In-vivo evaluation of the effectiveness of bleaching agents on the shade alteration of blood-stained teeth.Int Endod J. 2008; 41: 485-492
- The repeatability of an intraoral dental colorimeter.J Prosthet Dent. 2002; 88: 585-590
- Analysis of dental adhesive systems using scanning electron microscopy.Int Dent J. 1994; 44: 349-359
- Precision of in vivocolorimetric assessments of teeth.J Prosthet Dent. 1997; 7: 464-470
- Tooth colour: a review of the literature.J Dent. 2004; 32: 3-12
- Bleaching teeth treated endodontically: long-term evaluation of a case series.J Endod. 2006; 32: 376-378
- Separate whitening effects on enamel and dentin after fourteen days.J Endod. 2007; 1: 34-37
- Objective and subjective whitening response of two self-directed bleaching system.J Esthet Dent. 1991; 3: 169-173
- In vitro FT-IR study of the effects of hydrogen peroxide on superficial tooth enamel.J Dent. 2007; 35: 325-330
- Effect of bleaching agents on inorganic components of human dentin and cementum.J Endod. 1992; 18: 290-293
- Effect of intracoronal bleaching agents on dentin microhardness.J Endod. 2007; 33: 460-462
Published online: December 23, 2009
© 2010 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.