Diode laser endodontic treatments such as disinfection or the generation of cavitations should not cause deleterious thermal changes in radicular dentin.
This study assessed thermal changes in the root canal and on the root surface when using 940 and 980 nm lasers at settings of 4 W/10 Hz and 2.5 W/25 Hz, respectively, delivered into 2000-μm fibers to generate cavitations in water. The root surface temperature in the apical third was recorded, as was the water temperature in coronal, middle, and apical third regions, by using thermocouples placed inside the canal. Lasing was undertaken with either rest periods or rinsing between 5-second laser exposures.
Both diode lasers induced only modest temperature changes on the external root surface at the settings used. Even though the temperature of the water within the canal increased during lasing by as much as 30°C, the external root surface temperature increased by only a maximum of 4°C. Irrigation between laser exposures was highly effective in minimizing thermal changes within the root canal and on the root surface.
Diode laser parameters that induce cavitation do not result in adverse thermal changes in radicular dentin.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Photodynamic treatment of endodontic polymicrobial infection in vitro. J Endod. 2008; 34: 728-734
- Antimicrobial effects of photodynamic therapy on patients with necrotic pulps and periapical lesion.J Endod. 2008; 34: 138-142
- Effect of 980-nanometer diode laser on root canal permeability after dentin treatment with different chemical solutions.J Endod. 2008; 34: 721-724
- Effects of diode laser (810 nm) irradiation on root canal walls: thermographic and morphological studies.J Endod. 2007; 33: 252-255
- Diode laser radiation and its bactericidal effect in root canal wall dentin.J Clin Laser Med Surg. 2000; 18: 57-60
- In vitro irradiation of infected root canals with a diode laser: results of microbiologic, infrared spectrometric, and stain penetration examinations.Quintessence Int. 1997; 28: 205-209
- Irradiation of infected root canals with a diode laser in vivo: results of microbiological examinations.Lasers Surg Med. 1997; 21: 221-226
- Bactericidal effect of different laser systems in the deep layers of dentin.Lasers Surg Med. 2004; 35: 111-116
- Innovative wavelengths in endodontic treatment.Lasers Surg Med. 2006; 38: 624-630
- Bactericidal effect of a 980-nm diode laser in the root canal wall dentin of bovine teeth.J Clin Laser Med Surg. 2004; 22: 9-13
- Effects of diode laser irradiation on smear layer removal from root canal walls and apical leakage after obturation.Photomed Laser Surg. 2005; 23: 575-581
- Cavitational effects in aqueous endodontic irrigants generated by near infrared lasers.J Endod. 2010; 36: 275-278
- Laser activation of endodontic irrigants with improved conical laser fiber tips for removing smear layer in the apical third of the root canal.J Endod. 2008; 34: 1524-1527
- Apical extrusion of root canal irrigants when using Er:YAG and Er, Cr:YSGG lasers with optical fibers: an in vitro dye study.J Endod. 2008; 34: 706-708
- Preliminary investigation of the histological effects of laser endodontic treatment on the periradicular tissues in dogs.J Endod. 1992; 18: 47-51
- Temperature variation at the external root surface during 980-nm diode laser irradiation in the root canal.J Dent. 2008; 36: 529-534
- Temperature evolution on human teeth root surface after diode laser assisted endodontic treatment.Lasers Med Sci. 2005; 20: 99-103
- Thermal and morphological effects of the pulsed Nd:YAG laser on root canal surfaces.Photomed Laser Surg. 2009; 27: 235-240
- Temperature threshold levels for heat-induced bone tissue injury: a vital-microscopic study in the rabbit.J Prosthet Dent. 1983; 50: 101-107
- Lasers in dentistry.Quintessence Publishing Co, Inc, Chicago1995 (42–82)
- Bactericidal effect of Nd: YAG laser irradiation on some endodontic pathogens ex vivo.Int Endod J. 2006; 39: 547-557
Published online: March 08, 2010
© 2010 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.