The aim of this study was to compare the diagnostic accuracy of cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) scans with different voxel resolutions in the detection of simulated vertical root fracture (VRF).
Sixty teeth, 30 with root fractures and 30 without, were examined through i-CAT tomography at 4 different voxel resolutions (0.125, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 mm). Three observers scored the presence of VRF in all modalities. Sensitivity, specificity, likelihood ratio, and accuracy were calculated for each modality.
Chi-square statistical analysis showed no significant difference among the resolutions or observers. However, positive likelihood ratio values of 24.5 for a 0.125-mm voxel, 24.25 for a 0.2-mm voxel, 13.2 for a 0.3-mm voxel, and 13 for a 0.4-mm voxel were found. Accuracy results confirmed the likelihood ratios as 0.97, 0.96, 0.93, and 0.92, respectively.
CBCT scans were reliable in detecting simulated VRF, and a 0.2-mm voxel was the best protocol, considering the lower x-ray exposure and good diagnostic performance.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Root fractures.in: Andreasen J.O. Andreasen F.M. Textbook and color atlas of traumatic injuries to the teeth. 3rd ed. Munsksgaard, Copenhagen, Denmark1994: 279-311
- Root fracture detection: a comparison of direct digital radiography with conventional radiography.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2001; 30: 106-109
- In vitro assessment of local computed tomography for the detection of longitudinal tooth fractures.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007; 103: 825-829
- Use of cone-beam volumetric tomography in the diagnosis of root fractures.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009; 108: 270-277
- Detection of vertical root fractures in endodontically treated teeth by a cone beam computed tomography scan.J Endod. 2009; 35: 719-722
- Comparison of five cone beam computed tomography systems for the detection of vertical root fractures.J Endod. 2010; 36: 126-129
- Variable-resolution cone-beam computerized tomography with enhancement filtration compared with intraoral photostimulable phosphor radiography in detection of transverse root fractures in an in vitro model.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009; 108: 939-945
- Three-dimensional, non-destructive visualization of vertical root fractures using flat panel volume detector computer tomography: an ex vivo in vitro case report.Int Endod J. 2005; 38: 904-913
- Detection of artificially induced vertical radicular fractures using tuned aperture computed tomography.Eur J Oral Sci. 2001; 109: 375-379
- Detection of vertical root fracture using cone-beam computerized tomography: an in vitro assessment.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2010; 109: e74-e81
- Clinical applications of cone-beam computed tomography in dental practice.J Can Dent Assoc. 2006; 72: 75-80
- The basics of maxillofacial cone beam computed tomography.Semin Orthod. 2009; 15: 2-13
- Diagnosis goes digital.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2004; 125: 512-515
- The effect of decreasing mAs on image quality and patient dose in sinus CT.Br J Radiol. 2001; 74: 157-161
- CT of the head by use of reduced current and kilovoltage: relationship between image quality and dose reduction.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2000; 21: 1654-1660
- Assessment of image quality of a standard and three dose-reducing protocols in adult cranial CT.Eur Radiol. 2005; 15: 1959-1968
- Low-dose dental computed tomography: significant dose reduction without loss of image quality.Acta Radiol. 2004; 45: 847-853
- Development of a compact computed tomographic apparatus for dental use.Dent Maxillofac Radiol. 1999; 28: 245-248
- Endodontic applications of cone beam volumetric tomography.J Endod. 2007; 33: 1121-1132
- Digital and advanced imaging in endodontics: a review.J Endod. 2007; 33: 1-6
- Differentiation of radicular cyst and granulomas using computerized tomography.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1989; 5: 69-72
- Accuracy of cone beam computed tomography, panoramic and periapical radiographic for the detection of apical periodontitis.J Endod. 2008; 34: 273-279
- A new periapical index based on cone beam computed tomography.J Endod. 2008; 34: 1325-1331
- The effect of voxel size on image reconstruction in cone-beam computed tomography.Oral Radiol. 2009; 25: 149-153
- Influence of voxel size in the diagnostic ability of cone beam tomography to evaluate simulated external root resorption.J Endod. 2009; 35: 233-235
- Alara still applies.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2005; 4: 395-397
- Comparison of radiation levels from computed tomography and conventional dental radiographs.Aust Orthod J. 2003; 19: 67-75
- Diagnosis.in: Cohen S. Hargreaves K.M. Pathways of the pulp. 9th ed. Mosby, St Louis, MO2006: 2-39
- The potential applications of cone beam computed tomography in the management of endodontic problems.Int Endod J. 2007; 40: 818-830
- Cone-beam computed tomography in endodontics: are we there yet?.Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2009; 30: 312-322
- An evaluation of endodontically treated vertical root fractured teeth: impact of operative procedures.J Endod. 2001; 27: 46-48
Published online: November 09, 2010
© 2011 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.