Angiogenesis is key to both the development and regeneration of the dentin-pulp complex.
We hypothesized that proangiogenic signaling molecules sequestered in dentin matrix can be solubilised to induce angiogenic events.
Matrix components were extracted from powdered sound human dentin with EDTA and their dose-dependent (0.0001-5 mg/mL) effects examined in endothelial cells in an in vitro angiogenic tube formation assay, proliferation assay, and transcriptional regulation of the VEGF and VEGF-R2 genes.
Lower concentrations of dentin matrix components were found to show proangiogenic activity, whereas higher concentrations suppressed angiogenic activity.
This study highlights that the release of dentin matrix components after dental injury can contribute to the angiogenic events that support pulp regeneration.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Induction and regulation of crown dentinogenesis—embryonic events as a template for dental tissue repair.Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2001; 12: 425-437
- Cells and extracellular matrices of dentin and pulp: biological strategies for repair and tissue engineering.Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2004; 15: 4-12
- Angiogenesis.J Biol Chem. 1992; 267 (1093–14)
- Biologically based treatment of immature permanent teeth with pulpal necrosis: a case series.J Endod. 2008; 34: 876-887
- Pulp revascularization of immature dog teeth with apical periodontitis.J Endod. 2007; 33: 680-689
- Contemporary perspectives on vital pulp therapy: views from the endodontists and pediatric dentists.J Endod. 2008; 34: S57-S61
- Lipoteichoic acid up-regulates VEGF expression in macrophages and pulp cells.J Dent Res. 2003; 82: 466-470
- Vascular endothelial growth factor and its relationship with the dental pulp.J Endod. 2007; 33: 524-530
- Effects of VEGF and FGF2 on the revascularization of severed dental pulps.J Dent Res. 2008; 87: 1144-1148
- Angiogenic signalling triggered by cariogenic bacteria in pulp cells.J Dent Res. 2009; 88: 835-840
- MAPK signalling is required for LPS-induced VEGF in pulp stem cells.J Dent Res. 2010; 89: 264-269
- Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) expression in healthy and inflamed human dental pulps.J Endod. 2002; 28: 20-23
- Role of human pulp fibroblasts in angiogenesis.J Dent Res. 2006; 85: 819-823
- VEGF and odontoblast-like cells: stimulation by low frequency ultrasound.Arch Oral Biol. 2009; 54: 185-191
- A target-mediated model to describe the pharmacokinetics and hemodynamic effects of recombinant human vascular endothelial growth factor in humans.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2002; 72: 20-32
- Angiogenic growth factors in human dentine matrix.Arch Oral Biol. 2000; 45: 1013-1016
- The effect of calcium hydroxide on solubilisation of bio-active dentine matrix components.Biomaterials. 2006; 27: 2865-2873
- Dissolution of bio-active dentine matrix components by mineral trioxide aggregate.J Dent. 2007; 35: 636-642
- Dental pulp tissue engineering with stem cells from exfoliated deciduous teeth.J Endod. 2008; 34: 962-969
- In vivo morphogenetic activity of dentine matrix proteins.J Biol Buccale. 1990; 18: 123-129
- Targeting angiogenesis: structural characterization and biological properties of a de novo engineered VEGF mimicking peptide.Proc Nat Acad Sci U S A. 2005; 102: 14215-14220
- Vitality of the dentin-pulp complex in health and disease: growth factors as key mediators.J Dent Educ. 2003; 67: 678-689
- Inflammation-regeneration interplay in the dentine-pulp complex.J Dent. 2010; 38: 687-697
- TGF-ß/extracellular matrix interactions in dentin matrix: a role in regulating sequestration and protection of bioactivity.Calc Tiss Int. 2009; 85: 66-74
- Transforming growth factor- β1 (TGF- β1) in dentine matrix: ligand activation and receptor expression.Eur J Oral Sci. 1998; 106: 179-184
- Comparative analysis of transforming growth factor-beta (TGF- β) isoforms 1-3 in human and rabbit dentine matrices.Arch Oral Biol. 1997; 42: 219-223
- In vivo effects of dentine matrix on angiogenesis in rat skeletal muscle.J Dent Res. 1996; 75: 173
- Adrenomedullin is expressed during rodent dental tissue development and promotes cell growth and mineralisation.Biol Cell. 2010; 102: 145-157
- Vasculogenesis.Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 1995; 11: 73-91
- Potent synergism between vascular endothelial growth factor and basic fibroblast growth factor in the induction of angiogenesis in vitro.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1992; 89: 824-831
- The vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) family: angiogenic factors in health and disease.Genome Biol. 2005; 6: 209-219
- SHED differentiate into functional odontoblasts and endothelium.J Dent Res. 2010; 89: 791-796
- Vascular endothelial cell growth factor attenuates actions of transforming growth factor- β in human endothelial cells.J Biol Chem. 2004; 279: 55104-55108
- A quantitative light microscopic study of the odontoblast and subodontoblastic reactions to active and arrested enamel caries without cavitation.Caries Res. 1998; 32: 59-69
- A light microscopic study of odontoblastic and non-odontoblastic cells involved in tertiary dentinogenesis in well-defined cavitated carious lesions.Caries Res. 1999; 33: 50-60
- Mechanisms of TGF-beta-mediated apoptosis.Cell Tiss Res. 2002; 307: 1-14
- TGF- β concentration specifies differential signalling profiles of growth arrest/differentiation and apoptosis in podocytes.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005; 16: 3211-3221
Published online: October 18, 2010
© 2011 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.