This study proposed to investigate aspects of cell proliferation and death in the epithelium of radicular (RCs) and dentigerous (DCs) cysts.
Serial sections of 17 RCs and 9 DCs were prepared for immunohistochemical detection of caspase-3, Bcl-2, and Ki-67 antigens.
Caspase-3 was detected mainly in the suprabasal and superficial epithelial cells of RCs and DCs, whereas Ki-67 was detected predominantly in the basal layer. Both markers had significant expression in hyperplastic epithelium related to an intense inflammation in the capsule. Immunoreactivity for Bcl-2 was restricted to the basal layer and was significantly higher in atrophic epithelium of DCs than that of RCs.
These results suggest that epithelial proliferation is balanced by apoptosis and that the presence of inflammation inhibits the Bcl-2 expression. DCs and RCs have different formation mechanisms but have similar biological behavior in the presence of intense inflammatory infiltrate.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- New perspectives on radicular cysts: do they heal?.Int Endod J. 1998; 31: 155-160
- Proliferation of epithelial cell rests, formation of apical cysts, and regression of apical cysts after periapical wound healing.J Endod. 2007; 33: 908-916
- Types and incidence of human periapical lesions obtained with extracted teeth.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1996; 81: 93-102
- Pathogenesis of apical periodontitis and the causes of endodontic failures.Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2004; 15: 348-381
- Cell proliferation and apoptosis in keratocystic odontogenic tumors.Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2008; 13: 697-702
- Apoptosis-related factors in the epithelial components of dental follicles and dentigerous cysts associated with impacted third molars of the mandible.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2005; 99: 17-23
- The relationship of lesion size to diagnosis, incidence, and treatment of periapical cysts and granulomas.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1984; 57: 82-94
- Radicular cyst affecting a root-filled human tooth: a long-term post-treatment follow-up.Int Endod J. 1993; 26: 225-233
- Nonsurgical treatment of extensive cyst-like periapical lesion of endodontic origin.Int Endod J. 2006; 39: 566-575
- Clinical outcome of the endodontic treatment of teeth with apical periodontitis using an antimicrobial protocol.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008; 106: 757-762
- Observations on the structure and pathogenesis of apical periodontal cyst (author’s transl).Estomatol Cult. 1973; 7: 196-201
- Apoptosis in epithelial cells of apical radicular cysts.Int Endod J. 2005; 38: 465-469
- Cellular pathology I: cell injury and cell death.in: Cotran R.S. Kumar V. Collins T. Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease. 6th ed. WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, PA1999: 1-29
- Morphological assessment of apoptosis.Methods. 2008; 44: 200-204
- Uncoupling cell shrinkage from apoptosis reveals that Na+ influx is required for volume loss during programmed cell death.J Biol Chem. 2003; 278: 39176-39184
- Apoptosis—an introduction.Bioessays. 2003; 25: 888-896
- Apoptosis-associated caspase activation assays.Methods. 2008; 44: 262-272
- Screening and detection of apoptosis.J Surg Res. 2007; 139: 143-156
- Apoptosis in bone for tissue engineering.Arch Med Res. 2008; 39: 467-482
- Apoptosis: a review of programmed cell death.Toxicol Pathol. 2007; 35: 495-516
- A brief history of apoptosis: from ancient to modern times.Onkologie. 2008; 31: 702-706
- Cell proliferation, apoptosis and apoptosis-related factors in odontogenic keratocysts and in dentigerous cysts.J Oral Pathol Med. 2005; 34: 280-286
- Monoclonal antibody Ki-67: its use in histopathology.Histopathology. 1990; 17: 489-503
- Automated selection of DAB-labeled tissue for immunohistochemical quantification.J Histochem Cytochem. 2003; 51: 575-584
- Quantification of immunohistochemistry—issues concerning methods, utility and semiquantitative assessment I.Histopathology. 2006; 49: 406-410
- Immunohistochemical study of apical periodontal cysts.J Endod. 1998; 24: 36-37
- Cell synthesis, proliferation and apoptosis in human dental periapical lesions analysed by in situ hybridisation and immunohistochemistry.Oral Dis. 1999; 5: 313-320
- Immunohistochemical analysis of apoptosis-related factors in lining epithelium of radicular cysts.J Oral Pathol Med. 2005; 34: 46-52
- Nonsurgical root canal therapy of large cyst-like inflammatory periapical lesions and inflammatory apical cysts.J Endod. 2009; 35: 607-615
- Apoptosis: an introduction for the endodontist.Int Endod J. 2003; 36: 237-245
© 2011 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.