The purpose of this study was to analyze the characteristics, distribution, and associated factors of longitudinal fractured teeth according to the well-defined criteria of the American Association of Endodontists (AAE).
One hundred seven teeth with longitudinal fracture from 103 patients were diagnosed and analyzed. The patients’ signs, symptoms, age, and sex were noted as well as the tooth number, dental arch, filling materials, size/classification of restoration, crack direction, pulp vitality, whether the patient had undergone endodontic treatment, bite test results, percussion test results, wear facet, and periodontal pocket depth.
Eighty-seven teeth were diagnosed with a cracked tooth (81.3%), 14 were diagnosed with vertical root fracture (VRF, 13.1%), 4 had a split tooth (3.7%), and 2 had a fractured cusp (1.9%); 82.2% showed a sensitive reaction on the bite test. Longitudinal tooth fractures were observed most frequently in patient in their 40s. The upper first molar (28.0%) was most frequently cracked, followed by the lower first molar (25.2%), the lower second molar (20.6%), and the upper second molar (16.8%). Most longitudinal tooth fractures (72.0%) occurred mainly in restored teeth, whereas only 28.0% were found in intact teeth. Compared with resin (4.7%) or porcelain (0.9%), the use of nonbonded inlay restoration materials such as gold (20.5%) or amalgam (18.7%) increased the occurrence of longitudinal tooth fractures. Out of 107 of longitudinal fractured teeth, 33 (30.8%) were treated endodontically and 74 (69.2%) were not. VRF was associated with endodontic treatment.
The bite test is most reliable for reproducing symptoms. The combined use of various examination methods is recommended for detecting cracks and minutely inspecting all directions of a tooth.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diagnosis and treatment planning: cracked tooth.Tex Dent J. 2003; 120: 278-283
- Survival of root filled cracked teeth in a tertiary institution.Int Endod J. 2006; 39: 886-889
- The cracked tooth syndrome: additional findings.J Am Dent Assoc. 1976; 93: 971-975
- Detection of vertical root fractures by using cone beam computed tomography with variable voxel sizes in an in vitro model.J Endod. 2011; 37: 75-79
- Diagnosis and treatment of endodontically treated teeth with vertical root fracture: three case reports with two-year follow-up.J Endod. 2011; 37: 97-102
- Fracture necrosis: diagnosis, prognosis assessment, and treatment recommendations.J Endod. 2010; 36: 442-446
- Analysis of reasons for extraction of endodontically treated teeth: a prospective study.J Endod. 2011; 37: 1512-1515
- Incomplete tooth fracture–proposal for a new definition.Br Dent J. 2001; 190: 424-428
- The cracked tooth conundrum: terminology, classification, diagnosis, and management.Am J Dent. 2008; 21: 275-282
- Cracked-tooth syndrome.J Am Dent Assoc. 1964; 68: 405-411
- Incomplete crown-root fracture in pulpal-periodontal disease.J Periodontol. 1973; 44: 369-379
- Endodontics: Colleagues for Excellence-Cracking the Cracked Tooth Code.American Association of Endodontists, Chicago, IL2008
- R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2010
- Influence of patient age on the nature of tooth fracture.J Prosthet Dent. 1999; 82: 226-230
- Cracked tooth syndrome: diagnosis, treatment and correlation between symptoms and post-extraction findings.Aust Dent J. 1990; 35: 105-112
- Management of coronal fractures of permanent posterior teeth.J Prosthet Dent. 1974; 31: 172-178
- Analysis of 154 cases of teeth with cracks.Dent Traumatol. 2006; 22: 118-123
- Cracked tooth syndrome: characteristics and distribution among adults in a Nigerian teaching hospital.J Endod. 2009; 35: 334-336
- Cracked tooth syndrome.J Prosthet Dent. 1982; 47: 36-43
- Cracked tooth syndrome–incidence, clinical findings and treatment.Aust Dent J. 1998; 43: 217-222
- Bite force and functional state of the masticatory system in young men.Swed Dent J. 1978; 2: 167-175
- The cracked tooth syndrome: an elusive diagnosis.J Am Dent Assoc. 1996; 127: 1502-1507
- Type and incidence of cracks in posterior teeth.J Prosthet Dent. 2001; 86: 168-172
- Diagnosis, therapy, and prevention of the cracked tooth syndrome.Quintessence Int. 2003; 34: 409-417
- Bruxism and the occlusion.Dent Clin North Am. 1981; 25: 395-407
- Vertical root fractures: clinical and radiographic diagnosis.J Am Dent Assoc. 2003; 134: 434-441
- Crack initiation on the apical root surface caused by three different nickel-titanium rotary files at different working lengths.J Endod. 2011; 37: 522-525
- Identifying and reducing risks for potential fractures in endodontically treated teeth.J Endod. 2010; 36: 609-617
- Pain and the cracked tooth.J Indiana Dent Assoc. 1975; 54: 15-18
- Stress analysis of a bulk-filled Class V light-cured composite restoration.J Dent Res. 1994; 73: 1470-1477
- Thermo-debonding mechanisms in dentin bonding systems using finite element analysis.Biomaterials. 2001; 22: 113-123
- Stress distribution in molars restored with inlays or onlays with or without endodontic treatment: a three-dimensional finite element analysis.J Prosthet Dent. 2010; 103: 6-12
- Effect of adhesive layer properties on stress distribution in composite restorations—a 3D finite element analysis.Dent Mater. 2002; 18: 295-303
- The use of a masticatory robot to analyze the shock absorption capacity of different restorative materials for prosthetic implants: a preliminary report.Int J Prosthodont. 2009; 22: 53-55
- The cracked-tooth syndrome: clinical features and case reports.Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 1992; 12: 395-405
- Endodontics: Principles and Practice.4th ed. Saunders, Philadelphia2008 (474)
- The cracked tooth syndrome.J Can Dent Assoc. 2002; 68: 470-475
- Diagnosis and management of vertical root fractures.J Can Dent Assoc. 1995; 61: 607-613
- Diagnosis and management of teeth with vertical root fractures.Aust Dent J. 1999; 44: 75-87
- Further investigation of spreader loads required to cause vertical root fracture during lateral condensation.J Endod. 1987; 13: 277-284
Published online: January 09, 2012
© 2012 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.