The aim of the present study was to evaluate the physicochemical properties of a bioceramic root canal sealer, Endosequence BC Sealer. Radiopacity, pH, release of calcium ions (Ca2+), and flow were analyzed, and the results were compared with AH Plus cement.
Radiopacity and flow were evaluated according to ISO 6876/2001 standards. For the radiopacity analysis, metallic rings with 10-mm diameter and 1-mm thickness were filled with cements. The radiopacity value was determined according to radiographic density (mm Al). The flow test was performed with 0.05 mL of cement placed on a glass plate. A 120-g weight was carefully placed over the cement. The largest and smallest diameters of the disks formed were measured by using a digital caliper. The release of Ca2+ and pH were measured at periods of 3, 24, 72, 168, and 240 hours with spectrophotometer and pH meter, respectively. Data were analyzed by analysis of variance and Tukey test (P < .05).
The bioceramic endodontic cement showed radiopacity (3.84 mm Al) significantly lower than that of AH Plus (6.90 mm Al). The pH analysis showed that Endosequence BC Sealer showed pH and release of Ca2+ greater than those of AH Plus (P < .05) during the experimental periods. The flow test revealed that BC Sealer and AH Plus presented flow of 26.96 mm and 21.17 mm, respectively (P < .05).
Endosequence BC Sealer showed radiopacity and flow according to ISO 6876/2001 recommendations. The other physicochemical properties analyzed demonstrated favorable values for a root canal sealer.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cytotoxicity comparison of mineral trioxide aggregates and EndoSequence bioceramic root repair materials.J Endod. 2011; 37: 372-375
- Comparison of the root-end seal provided by bioceramic repair cements and White MTA.Int Endod J. 2011; 44: 662-668
- Bioceramic technology: the game changer in endodontics.Endodontic Practice. 2009; 2: 17-21
- Retreatability of a bioceramic root canal sealing material.J Endod. 2011; 37: 1547-1549
- Setting properties and cytotoxicity evaluation of a premixed bioceramic root canal sealer.J Endod. 2011; 37: 673-677
- Antibacterial activity of endodontic sealers by modified direct contact test against Enterococcus faecalis.J Endod. 2009; 35: 1051-1055
- Dynamics of the pulp dentin complex.Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 1996; 7: 104-133
- Assessment of a new root canal sealer‘s apical sealing ability.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009; 107: e79-e82
- International Organization for Standardization ISO 6876 dental root canal sealing materials.International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland2001
- Radiopacity of Portland cement associated with different radiopacifying agents.J Endod. 2009; 35: 737-740
- Cytotoxicity evaluation of Gutta Flow and Endo Sequence BC sealers.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2011; 112: 657-661
- pH required to kill Enterococcus faecalis in vitro.J Endod. 2004; 30: 218-219
- Enterococcus faecalis: its role in root canal treatment failure and current concepts in retreatment.J Endod. 2006; 32: 93-98
- Effects of pH on mineralization ability of human dental pulp cells.J Endod. 2006; 32: 198-201
- Reaction of rat connective tissue to implanted dentin tube filled with mineral trioxide aggregate, Portland cement or calcium hydroxide.Braz Dent J. 2001; 12: 3-8
- The calcium silicate hydrates.Cem Conc Res. 2008; 38: 137-158
- Influence of apatite seeds on the synthesis of calcium phosphate cement.Biomaterials. 2002; 23: 2751-2760
- Physicochemical basis of the biologic properties of mineral trioxide aggregate.J Endod. 2005; 31: 97-100
- Push-out bond strength of gutta-percha with a new bioceramic sealer in the presence or absence of smear layer.Aust Endod J. 2011; : 1-6
Published online: April 06, 2012
© 2012 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.