Experimental studies show that dental pulp cells respond unfavorably to contact with resin composite restorative material. Hypothetically, in a random population, the frequency of apical periodontitis should be higher for teeth restored with resin composite than with amalgam. Therefore, the aim was to compare the periapical status of non–root-filled teeth restored with resin composite, amalgam, or laboratory-fabricated crowns in an adult Swedish population.
The subjects comprised 440 individuals from a randomly selected sample of 1,000 adult residents of a Swedish county. The type, material, and quality of the restorations were recorded for all non–root-filled teeth by clinical examination and intraoral clinical photographs. Periapical status was evaluated on panoramic radiographs. The association between periapical status and type, material, and quality of the restorations was analyzed using the chi-square test and logistic regression analysis.
There was no significant difference in the frequency of apical periodontitis (AP) between teeth restored with resin composite or amalgam (1.3% and 1.1%, respectively). The frequency of AP for teeth restored with laboratory-fabricated crowns was significantly higher (6.3%). Regression analysis showed no association between AP and resin composite restorations but a significant association with laboratory-fabricated crowns.
The results indicate that the risk of damage to the pulp-dentin complex from exposure to resin composite material and dentin bonding agents shown in experimental studies is not reflected in the clinical setting. However, in the study sample, AP was diagnosed in a significantly higher proportion of teeth restored with laboratory-fabricated crowns.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Resin restorations: leakage, bacteria, pulp.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1993; 9: 127-152
- Evidence for bacterial causation of adverse pulpal responses in resin-based dental restorations.Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2000; 11: 467-480
- Microleakage and polymerization shrinkage of various polymer restorative materials.J Dent Child. 2008; 75: 125-133
- Resin composite restorative materials.Aust Dent J. 2011; 56: 59-66
- TEGDMA reduces mineralization in dental pulp cells.J Dent Res. 2011; 90: 257-262
- Oxidative stress and cytotoxicity generated by dental composites in human pulp cells.Clin Oral Investig. 2012; 16: 215-224
- Endodontic complications after plastic restorations in general practice.Int Endod J. 2005; 38: 409-416
- A clinical evaluation of posterior composite resin restorations: 8-year findings.J Dent. 1998; 26: 311-317
- A retrospective clinical study on longevity of posterior composite and amalgam restorations.Dent Mater. 2007; 23: 2-8
- Four-year clinical evaluation of posterior resin-based composite restorations placed using the total-etch technique.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2001; 13: 50-57
- Composite resin fillings and inlays. An 11 year evaluation.Clin Oral Investig. 2003; 7: 71-79
- Endodontic complications following periodontial and prosthetic treatment of patients with advanced periodontal disease.J Periodontol. 1984; 55: 63-68
- A clinical evaluation of fixed bridges, 10 years following insertion.J Oral Rehabil. 1986; 13: 423-432
- Long-term changes in marginal and periapical periodontal conditions in patients with fixed prostheses: a radiographic study.J Oral Rehabil. 1996; 23: 101-107
- Assessment of the periapical and clinical status of crowned teeth over 25 years.J Dent. 1997; 25: 97-105
- Prevalence of periradicular periodontitis associated with crowned teeth in an adult Scottish subpopulation.Br Dent J. 1998; 185: 137-140
- Risk factors for developing apical periodontitis in a general population.Int Endod J. 2007; 40: 290-299
- Oral Health in the Adult Population of Skåne, Sweden: a clinical study.Acta Odontol Scand. 2012; 70: 511-519
- Endodontic epidemiology and treatment outcome: general considerations.Endod Topics. 2002; 2: 1-9
- Periapical status of endodontically treated teeth in relation to the technical quality of the root filling and the coronal restoration.Int Endod J. 1995; 28: 12-18
- Periapical status and quality of root fillings and coronal restorations in a Danish population.Int Endod J. 2000; 33: 509-515
- Influence of coronal restorations on the periapical health of endodontically treated teeth.Endod Dent Traumatol. 2000; 16: 218-221
- Periapical health related to the quality of coronal restorations and root fillings.Int Endod J. 2002; 35: 680-689
- Comparison between panoramic and periapical radiography in the diagnosis of periapical bone lesions.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 1989; 18: 151-155
- Accuracy of cone beam computed tomography and panoramic and periapical radiography for detection of apical periodontitis.J Endod. 2008; 34: 273-279
- Rotational panoramic radiography in epidemiological studies of dental health. Comparison between panoramic radiographs and intraoral full mouth surveys.Swed Dent J. 1986; 10: 73-84
- Panoramic and restrictive intraoral radiography in comprehensive oral radiographic diagnosis.Eur J Oral Sci. 1995; 103: 191-198
- Panoramic imaging.in: White S.C. Pharoah M.J. Oral Radiology: Principles and Interpretation. 6th ed. Elsevier, St Louis, MO2009: 175-190
- Periapical health related to the quality of root canal treatment in a Belgian population.Int Endod J. 2000; 33: 113-120
- The periapical index: a scoring system for radiographic assessment of apical periodontitis.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1986; 2: 20-34
- A histological and roentgenological study of the periapical region of human upper incisors.Odontol Revy. 1967; 18
- The influence of observer performance in radiographic caries diagnosis.Swed Dent J. 1979; 3: 101-107
- Application of statistical decision theory to radiographic diagnosis of endodontically treated teeth.Scand J Dent Res. 1983; 91: 213-218
- On the repair of the dentine barrier.Swed Dent J Suppl. 2012; 226: 9-84
- The dentin-pulp complex: structures, functions and responses to adverse influences.in: Bergenholtz Hørsted-Bindslev Reit Textbook of Endodontology. 2nd ed. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK2010: 11-30
Published online: July 16, 2014
© 2014 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.