The purpose of this study was to investigate the root canal configuration of the mandibular anterior teeth using cone-beam computed tomographic (CBCT) imaging in a Chinese subpopulation.
A total of 3,871 CBCT images of mandibular anterior teeth were collected from 648 patients who accepted CBCT projection as a preoperative assessment for implants or orthodontic treatment. The following items were recorded and evaluated: tooth position, root number, canal number, root canal type, the distance between the anatomic apex and the point at which the canal divided into 2 for mandibular anterior teeth with 2 root canals (excluding canines with 2 roots), and the distance between the 2 root canal orifices. The Fisher exact test was used to analyze the correlation between the number of root canals and tooth position.
All of the incisors in this study had 1 root, and 1.32% of the canines had 2 roots. The prevalence of 2 root canals in the lateral incisors (354, 27.36%) was higher than that in the central incisors (202, 15.71%) (P < .05) and the canines (81, 6.27%) (P < .05).
There is a high prevalence of 2 root canals in the mandibular anterior teeth of the studied Chinese subpopulation. This study provides detailed information about the root canal morphology of mandibular anterior teeth in a Chinese subpopulation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Clinical Endodontics.2nd ed. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, PA1965: 269-271
- The bifurcated root canal in lower anterior teeth.J Am Dent Assoc. 1965; 70: 1162-1165
- Incidence of bifurcations in mandibular incisors.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1973; 36: 589-591
- Root canal anatomy of the mandibular anterior teeth.J Am Dent Assoc. 1974; 89: 369-371
- Incidence of two root canals in human mandibular incisor teeth.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1974; 38: 122-126
- CBCT study of root and canal morphology of permanent mandibular incisors in a Chinese population.Acta Odontol Scand. 2014; 72: 26-30
- Root canal morphology of mandibular incisors.J Endod. 1992; 18: 562-564
- Root canal system of the mandibular incisor.J Endod. 1997; 23: 479-484
- Investigation of the root canal configurations of mandibular permanent teeth in the Turkish population.Int Endod J. 2004; 37: 494-499
- Prevalence of two root canals in human mandibular anterior teeth in an Iranian population.Indian J Dent Res. 2013; 24: 234-236
- Root canal morphology of human permanent teeth in a Turkish population.J Endod. 1995; 21: 200-204
- Root canal morphology of mandibular incisors in a Jordanian population.Int Endod J. 2006; 39: 873-877
- Root canal anatomy of the human permanent teeth.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1984; 58: 589-599
- Incidence and configuration of canal systems in the mesiobuccal root of maxillary first and second molars.J Endod. 1990; 16: 311-317
- Three-dimensional imaging using microcomputed tomography for studying tooth macromorphology.J Am Dent Assoc. 2006; 137: 1555-1561
- Use of CBCT to identify the morphology of maxillary permanent molar teeth in a Chinese subpopulation.Int Endod J. 2011; 44: 162-169
- Use of cone-beam computed tomography to evaluate root and canal morphology of mandibular molars in Chinese individuals.Int Endod J. 2011; 44: 990-999
- Endodontic application of cone-beam computed tomography in South Korea.J Endod. 2012; 38: 153-157
- Comparative evaluation of modified canal staining and clearing technique, cone-beam computed tomography, peripheral quantitative computed tomography, spiral computed tomography, and plain and contrast medium-enhanced digital radiography in studying root canal morphology.J Endod. 2010; 36: 1547-1551
- Detection of various anatomic patterns of root canals in mandibular incisors using digital periapical radiography, 3 cone-beam computed tomographic scanners, and micro-computed tomographic imaging.J Endod. 2014; 40: 42-45
Published online: July 16, 2014
© 2014 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.