Matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) inhibition may improve endodontic treatment prognosis. The purpose of this study was to determine if zinc incorporation into experimental resin cements containing bioactive fillers may modulate MMP-mediated collagen degradation of dentin.
Human dentin samples untreated and demineralized using 10% phosphoric acid or 0.5 mol/L EDTA were infiltrated with the following experimental resins: (1) unfilled resin, (2) resin with Bioglass 45S5 particles (OSspray, London, UK), (3) resin with beta-tricalcium silicate particles (βTCS), (4) resin with zinc-doped Bioglass 45S5, and (5) resin with zinc-doped βTCS particles. The specimens were stored in artificial saliva (for 24 hours, 1 week, and 4 weeks) and submitted to radioimmunoassay to quantify C-terminal telopeptide. Scanning electron microscopy analysis was also undertaken on dentin samples after 4 weeks of storage.
Collagen degradation was prominent both in phosphoric acid and EDTA-treated dentin. Resin infiltration strongly reduced MMP activity in demineralized dentin. Resin containing Bioglass 45S5 particles exerted higher and stable protection of collagen. The presence of zinc in βTCS particles increases MMP inhibition. Different mineral precipitation was attained in dentin infiltrated with the resin cements containing bioactive fillers.
MMP degradation of dentin collagen is strongly reduced after resin infiltration of dentin. Zinc incorporation in βTCS particles exerted an additional protection against MMP-mediated collagen degradation. However, it did not occur in resin containing Bioglass 45S5 particles, probably because of the formation of phosphate-zinc compounds.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- MMP-7 and TIMP-1, new targets in predicting poor wound healing in apical periodontitis.J Endod. 2013; 39: 1141-1146
- Genetic susceptibility to periapical disease: conditional contribution of MMP2 and MMP3 genes to the development of periapical lesions and healing response.J Endod. 2012; 38: 604-607
- Matrix metalloproteinase expression in teeth with apical periodontitis is differentially modulated by the modality of root canal treatment.J Endod. 2010; 36: 231-237
- Determination of matrix metalloproteinases in human radicular dentin.J Endod. 2009; 35: 686-689
- Expression levels of matrix metalloproteinase-9 and gram-negative bacteria in symptomatic and asymptomatic periapical lesions.J Endod. 2013; 39: 444-448
- Evaluation of gelatinases, tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase-2, and myeloperoxidase protein in healthy and inflamed human dental pulp tissue.J Endod. 2013; 39: 879-882
- Adhesive/dentin interface: the weak link in the composite restoration.Ann Biomed Eng. 2010; 38: 1989-2003
- Chlorhexidine arrests subclinical degradation of dentin hybrid layers in vivo.J Dent Res. 2005; 84: 741-746
- Zinc inhibited MMPs-collagen degradation after dentin etching procedures.Caries Res. 2012; 46: 201-207
- Effect of dentin etching and chlorhexidine application on metalloproteinase-mediated collagen degradation.Eur J Oral Sci. 2011; 119: 79-85
- 2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate as an inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase-2.Eur J Oral Sci. 2009; 117: 64-67
- Apatite formation on bioactive calcium-silicate cements for dentistry affects surface topography and human marrow stromal cells proliferation.Dent Mater. 2010; 26: 974-992
- Environmental scanning electron microscopy connected with energy dispersive x-ray analysis and Raman techniques to study ProRoot mineral trioxide aggregate and calcium silicate cements in wet conditions and in real time.J Endod. 2010; 36: 851-857
- Remineralisation properties of innovative light-curable resin-based dental materials containing bioactive micro-fillers.J Mater Chem B. 2013; 1: 2624-2638
- Bioactivity of zinc-doped dental adhesives.J Dent. 2014; 42: 403-412
- Zinc induces apatite and scholzite formation during dentin remineralization.Caries Res. 2014; 48: 276-290
- Experimental resin cements containing bioactive fillers reduce MMPs mediated dentin collagen degradation.J Endod. 2012; 38: 1227-1232
- A review of the biological response to ionic dissolution products from bioactive glasses and glass-ceramics.Biomaterials. 2011; 32: 2757-2774
- Zinc reduces collagen degradation in demineralized human dentin explants.J Dent. 2011; 39: 148-153
- The type I collagen fragments ICTP and CTX reveal distinct enzymatic pathways of bone collagen degradation.J Bone Miner Res. 2003; 18: 859-867
- The effect of a hydroxamic acid-containing polymer on active matrix metalloproteinases.Biomaterials. 2009; 30: 1890-1897
- Differential effect of calcium phosphate and calcium pyrophosphate on binding of matrix metalloproteinases to fibrin: comparison to a fibrin-binding protease from inflammatory joint fluids.Clin Exp Immunol. 2004; 136: 176-187
- Hydroxyapatite induces autolytic degradation and inactivation of matrix metalloproteinase-1 and -3.J Bone Miner Res. 1998; 13: 1890-1892
- Properties of dissociatively extracted fetal tooth matrix proteins. II. Separation and purification of fetal bovine dentin phosphoprotein.J Biol Chem. 1980; 255: 9769-9772
- Ceramics.in: Nicholson J.W. The Chemistry of Medical and Dental Materials. Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, UK2002: 92
- Evaluation of selected properties of mineral trioxide aggregate sealer cement.J Endod. 2009; 35: 1412-1417
- Therapeutic effects of novel resin bonding systems containing bioactive glasses on mineral-depleted areas within the bonded-dentine interface.J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2012; 23: 1521-1532
- Bioceramics and the origin of life.J Biomed Mater Res. 1989; 23: 685-703
- Self-organization mechanism in a bone-like hydroxyapatite/collagen nanocomposite synthesized in vitro and its biological reaction in vivo.Biomaterials. 2001; 22: 1705-1711
- Modulation of phosphate/pyrophosphate metabolism to regenerate the periodontium: a novel in vivo approach.J Periodontol. 2011; 82: 1757-1766
- Zinc may increase bone formation through stimulating cell proliferation, alkaline phosphatase activity and collagen synthesis in osteoblastic MC3T3-E1 cells.Nutr Res Pract. 2010; 4: 356-361
- Alkaline phosphatase activity and pH optima.J Biol Chem. 1951; 192: 561-568
- Effects of Na2HPO4 and NaH2PO4on hydroxyapatite formation.J Biomed Mater Res. 1993; 27: 1095-1102
- Collagenolytic Activity of Cathepsin K is specifically modulated by cartilage-resident chondroitin sulfates.Biochemistry. 2000; 39: 529-536
Published online: August 13, 2014
© 2014 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.