The purpose of this study was to observe and evaluate 3-dimensional pulp cavity changes during orthodontic treatment.
Eighty-seven patients formed the study sample and were divided into an experimental group (48 patients) and a control group (39 patients). Cone-beam computed tomographic (CBCT) records were obtained before the start of the treatment (T0) and after space closure for the experimental group, whereas for the control group CBCT images were obtained approximately 17–18 months (T1) after obtaining the first image (T0). CBCT data were reconstructed with surface and volume rendering software (Mimics; Materialise, Leuven, Belgium), and the volumetric images were modified to display the teeth from various orientations. Six anterior teeth were segmented and their pulps isolated. Paired t test was used to check for statistical significance.
The difference in the pulp volume was statistically significant at P < .05 for all the anterior teeth in the experimental group and at P < .05 for the right canine, P < .05 for the right and left lateral incisors, and P < .05 for the left central in the control group.
Orthodontic treatment in the experimental group produced a significant decrease in the size of the pulp, which was statistically significant.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Luxation of permanent teeth due to trauma: a clinical and radiographic follow-up study of 189 injured teeth.Scand J Dent Res. 1970; 78: 273-286
- Traumatized permanent teeth in children aged 7-15 years.Sven Tandlak Tidskr. 1975; 68: 157-169
- Root resorption after orthodontic treatment: part 1. Literature review.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1993; 103: 62-66
- Root resorption after orthodontic treatment: part 2. Literature review.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1993; 103: 138-146
- Root resorption in upper first premolars after application of continuous torque moment. Intra-individual study.J Orofac Orthop. 2001; 62: 285-295
- Root resorptions in upper first premolars after application of continuous intrusive forces. Intra-individual study.J Orofac Orthop. 1998; 59: 208-219
- Direction of orthodontic tooth movements associated with external apical root resorption of the maxillary central incisor.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1998; 114: 677-683
- The relationship between apical root resorption and orthodontic tooth movement in growing subjects.Zhonghua Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2002; 37: 265-268
- Apical root resorption in orthodontically treated adults.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1996; 110: 311-320
- Pulpal response to orthodontic tooth movement in adolescents: a radiographic study.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1992; 101: 228-233
- A histologic study of pulpal reaction to orthodontic tooth movement in dogs.Angle Orthod. 1972; 42: 50-55
- Effects of intrusive forces upon the microvasculature of the dental pulp.Angle Orthod. 1980; 50: 129-134
- Pulp and dentine reactions to experimental tooth intrusion: a histologic study of the initial changes.Am J Orthod. 1970; 57: 370-385
- A study of bone and tooth changes incident to experimental tooth movement and its application to orthodontic practice.Int J Orthod Dent Child. 1933; 19: 1-17
- Initial pulp changes during orthodontic movement: histomorphological evaluation.Braz Dent J. 2007; 18: 34-39
- Angiogenesis in human dental pulp following orthodontic tooth movement.J Dent Res. 1996; 75: 1761-1766
- The effect of orthodontic force applicationon the pulpal tissue respiration rate in the human premolar.Am J Orthod. 1980; 77: 368-378
- The response of human pulpal tissue after orthodontic force application.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1987; 92: 220-224
- Three-dimensional imaging in orthognathic surgery: the clinical application of a new method.Int J Adult Orthodon Orthognath Surg. 2002; 17: 318-330
- A three-dimensional evaluation of the upper airway in adolescents.Orthod Craniofac Res. 2003; 6: 173-175
- Computer-assisted orthodontic treatment: the SureSmile process.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2001; 120: 85-87
- Three-dimensional diagnosis and treatment planning: the use of 3D facial imaging and 3D cone beam CT in orthodontics and dentistry.Australas Dent Pract. 2007; : 107-113
- Evaluation of root resorption following rapid maxillary expansion using cone-beam computed tomography.Angle Orthod. 2012; 82: 488-494
- Apical root resorption due to orthodontic treatment detected by cone beam computed tomography.Angle Orthod. 2013; 83: 196-203
- Odontoblasts: the cells forming and maintaining dentine.Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2004; 36: 1367-1373
- Bioactive molecules stimulate tooth repair and regeneration.J Hard Tissue Biol. 2006; 15: 36-45
- Ultrastructural and immunocytochemical analyses of osteopontin in reactionary and reparative dentine formed after extrusion of upper rat incisors.J Anat. 2007; 210: 418-427
- Pulpal and periapical disease.in: Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. 2nd ed. Saunders, New Delhi2002: 107-116
- Local hormones, inflammation and allergy.in: Pharmacology. 2nd ed. Churchill Livingstone, Hong Kong1991: 256-278
- Stimulation of the dentine-pulp complex of rat incisor teeth by transforming growth factor-β isoforms 1-3 in vitro.Arch Oral Biol. 1999; 44: 149-156
- Endodontic-orthodontic relationships: a review of integrated treatment planning challenges.Int Endod J. 1999; 32: 343-360
- Conservative management of a combined endodontic-orthodontic lesion.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1991; 7: 266-269
- Endodontic implications of orthodontic tooth movement.J Dent Res. 1984; 63: 286
- Three-dimensional observation of decrease in pulp cavity volume using micro CT: age related change.Bull Tokyo Dent Coll. 2010; 51: 1-6
- A method of age estimation on the morphometric analysis of dental pulp in mandibular first premolars by means of three dimensional measurements taken by micro CT.Nihon Univ Dent J. 2005; 79: 195-203
- Three-dimensional observation of the pulp cavity of mandibular first molars by micro-CT.J Oral Biosci. 2006; 48: 94-102
- Age estimation of Malawian adults from dental radiographs.West Afr J Med. 2005; 24: 329-333
- Human dental age estimation by calculation of pulp-tooth volume ratios yielded on clinically acquired cone beam computed tomography images of monoradicular teeth.J Forensic Sci. 2010; 56: S77-S82
- Dental age estimation through volume matching of teeth imaged by cone-beam CT.Forensic Sci Int. 2006; 159: 78-83
Published online: September 14, 2014
© 2014 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.