- •The remaining amount of the residual filling materials in the root canals after retreatment using ProTaper Universal Retreatment (PTUR) files (Dentsply Maillefer, Ballaigues, Switzerland) alone or with the additional use of Self-Adjusting File (SAF; ReDent-Nova, Ra'anana, Israel), Reciproc (VDW, Munich, Germany), or Hedström-files (H-file; VDW, Antaeos, Munich, Germany) was compared with volumetric estimation using the stereologic method via cone-beam computed tomographic images.
- •The additional use of the SAF did not significantly improve the removal of filling materials when compared with the PTUR system alone (P > .05). However, the additional use of Reciproc or hand H-files significantly improved the removal of filling materials when compared with the PTUR system alone (P < .05).
- •Modern stereologic methodology seems to be a reliable, accurate, and promising method for estimating the remaining volume of residual root canal filling material after the retreatment procedures.
- •The additional use of files with different motion kinetics improved the removal of root canal fillings; however, none of the systems completely removed the root canal filling material from the root canals.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- On the causes of persistent apical periodontitis: a review.Int Endod J. 2006; 39: 249-281
- Nonsurgical retreatment.J Endod. 2004; 30: 827-845
- Efficacy of reciprocating and rotary techniques for removing filling material during root canal retreatment.Int Endod J. 2013; 46: 947-953
- Efficacy of ProTaper Universal rotary retreatment system for gutta-percha removal from root canals.Int Endod J. 2008; 41: 288-295
- Comparative study of removal of current endodontic fillings.J Endod. 2008; 34: 326-329
- In vitro evaluation of the effectiveness of ProTaper universal rotary retreatment system for gutta-percha removal with or without a solvent.J Endod. 2009; 35: 1580-1583
- Canal preparation using only one Ni-Ti rotary instrument: preliminary observations.Int Endod J. 2008; 41: 339-344
- The self-adjusting file (SAF). Part 1: respecting the root canal anatomy–a new concept of endodontic files and its implementation.J Endod. 2010; 36: 679-690
- Efficacy of 2 reciprocating systems compared with a rotary retreatment system for gutta-percha removal.J Endod. 2014; 40: 543-546
- Efficacy of reciprocating instruments for removing filling material in curved canals obturated with a single-cone technique: a micro-computed tomographic analysis.J Endod. 2014; 40: 1000-1004
- Oval-shaped canal retreatment with self-adjusting file: a micro-computed tomography study.Clin Oral Investig. 2014; 18: 1147-1153
- Removal of gutta-percha from root canals using the self-adjusting file.J Endod. 2012; 38: 1004-1006
- The effectiveness of a self-adjusting file to remove residual gutta-percha after retreatment with rotary files.Int Endod J. 2012; 45: 386-392
- Retreatment of flat-oval root canals with a self-adjusting file: an SEM study.Dent Mater J. 2014; 33: 786-791
- Self-adjusting files in retreatment: a high-resolution micro-computed tomography study.J Endod. 2012; 38: 1283-1287
- Validation of cone beam computed tomography as a tool to explore root canal anatomy.J Endod. 2010; 36: 1187-1190
- Comparison of MR imaging against physical sectioning to estimate the volume of human cerebral compartments.Neuroimage. 2003; 18: 505-516
- The benefit of stereology for quantitative radiology.Br J Radiol. 2000; 73: 679-697
- Low-level laser therapy improves bone formation: stereology findings for osteoporosis in rat model.Lasers Med Sci. 2015; 30: 1599-1607
- Effectiveness of rotatory and reciprocating movements in root canal filling material removal.Braz Oral Res. 2015; 29: 1-6
- Three-dimensional evaluation of effectiveness of hand and rotary instrumentation for retreatment of canals filled with different materials.J Endod. 2008; 34: 1370-1373
- Efficacy of reciprocating and rotary NiTi instruments for retreatment of curved root canals assessed by micro-CT.Int Endod J. 2014; 47: 942-948
- Comparative evaluation of the efficiency of manual and rotary gutta-percha removal techniques.J Endod. 2015; 41: 1871-1874
- Effectiveness of ProTaper, D-RaCe, and Mtwo retreatment files with and without supplementary instruments in the removal of root canal filling material.Int Endod J. 2012; 45: 927-932
- Effectiveness of rotary and hand files in gutta-percha and sealer removal using chloroform or chlorhexidine gel.Braz Dent J. 2006; 17: 139-143
- Digital and advanced imaging in endodontics: a review.J Endod. 2007; 33: 1-6
- The efficiency of systematic sampling in stereology and its prediction.J Microsc. 1987; 147: 229-263
- If you assume, you can make an ass out of u and me': a decade of the disector for stereological counting of particles in 3D space.J Anat. 1996; 188: 1-15
- Dependence of computed tomography volume measurements upon section thickness: an application to human dry skulls.Clin Anat. 2008; 21: 479-485
- Unbiased estimation of the liver volume by the Cavalieri principle using magnetic resonance images.Eur J Radiol. 2003; 47: 164-170