This study aimed to explore patients' values when selecting treatment for a tooth with apical periodontitis (AP), namely retention via root canal treatment (RCT) and extraction without replacement or replacement with implant-supported crowns or fixed or removable partial prostheses.
Through 2 surveys of patients (800 university patients and 200 community patients, response rate = 43%) and dentists (498 Ontario endodontists, periodontists, prosthodontists, oral and maxillofacial surgeons, response rate = 40% and 1983 Ontario general dentists, response rate = 15%), the importance of values that might be considered important to patients when selecting treatment options for a tooth with AP were recorded. Chi-square and Kendall's tau tests were used to respectively compare the importance rating frequency by each surveyed group and its correlation to their demographic variables (P ≤ .05).
Patients considered communication and trust (94%), tooth retention (90%), esthetic outcome (84% regardless of location), cost (83%), longevity (83%), and preoperative pain (81%) as the most important decision values. Dentists overrated the importance of patients' previous experience with the treatment options (94% vs 72%), dental insurance (90% vs 70%), and intraoperative pain (79% vs 60%) while underestimating the importance of maintenance cost (60% vs 79%).
Dentists should respect patients' views about esthetic outcome, longevity, and cost associated with treatment options for a tooth with AP. In particular, this survey highlights the value of communication and trust between patient and dentist and preservation of the natural tooth through RCT over implant-supported crown replacement when planning treatment for a tooth with AP.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Declaration of Alma-Ata. In: International Conference on Primary Health Care. Alma-Ata, Kazakhstan.September 6–12, 1978
- Clinical decision making for a tooth with apical periodontitis: the patients' preferred level of participation.J Endod. 2014; 40: 784-789
- Patient participation in decision-making.Soc Sci Med. 1998; 47: 329-339
- Apical periodontitis: a very prevalent problem.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2002; 94: 651-652
- A survey of dentists' preferences for the treatment of teeth with apical periodontitis.J Endod. 2013; 39: 1226-1233
- A survey of patients' preferences for the treatment of teeth with apical periodontitis.J Endod. 2013; 39: 1534-1541
- Barriers to improving endodontic care: the views of NHS practitioners.Br Dent J. 1999; 186: 564-568
- Dental Ethics at Chairside: Professional Principles and Practical Applications.2nd ed. Georgetown University Press, Washington, DC2002: 343
- Evidence based medicine: what it is and what it isn't.BMJ. 1996; 312: 71-72
- Considerations and concepts of case selection in the management of post-treatment endodontic disease (treatment failure).Endod Topics. 2002; 1: 54-78
- The dentist-patient relationship: perceived dentist behaviors that reduce patient anxiety and increase satisfaction.J Am Dent Assoc. 1988; 116: 73-76
- Origins and characteristics of fear of dentistry.J Am Dent Assoc. 1973; 86: 842-848
- A qualitative analysis of patient-centered dentistry in consultations with dental phobic patients.J Health Commun. 2003; 8: 171-187
- Outcomes of root canal treatment and restoration, implant-supported single crowns, fixed partial dentures, and extraction without replacement: a systematic review.J Prosthet Dent. 2007; 98: 285-311
- Patients' satisfaction with dental esthetics.J Am Dent Assoc. 2007; 138: 805-808
- Esthetic dentistry in North American dental schools.J Can Dent Assoc. 2004; 70: 230
- The measurement of satisfaction with healthcare: implications for practice from a systematic review of the literature.Health Technol Assess. 2002; 6: 1-244
- Patients' expectations to dental implant: a systematic review of the literature.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2014; 12: 153
- Variation, treatment outcomes, and practice guidelines in dental practice.J Dent Educ. 1995; 59: 61-95
- Retrospective cross sectional comparison of initial nonsurgical endodontic treatment and single-tooth implants.J Endod. 2006; 32: 822-827
- Comparison of success of implants versus endodontically treated teeth.J Endod. 2008; 34: 1302-1305
- Dental insurance, income and the use of dental care in Canada.J Can Dent Assoc. 2007; 73: 57
- Dental insurance and use of dental services.Health Rep. 1999; 11 (Eng); 59–72(Fre): 55-67
- Patients' memories of painful medical treatments: real-time and retrospective evaluations of two minimally invasive procedures.Pain. 1996; 66: 3-8
- Shifts in attention biases in response to acute pain induction: examination of a model of “conversion” among repressors.Emotion. 2010; 10: 755-766
- Evaluation of nurses' self-insight into their pain assessment and treatment decisions.J Pain. 2010; 11: 454-461
- Combine or separate future pain? The impact of current pain on decisions about future dental treatments.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e64057
- Consumer empowerment as a solution to health system financing.Pharmacoeconomics. 2000; 18: 77-83
- Preliminary qualitative search for attributes important to patients when choosing between options for treatment of apical periodontitis [report submitted for the fulfillment of MSc degree in endodontics].Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada2007
- Patients' perceptions of the decision-making process leading to extraction of permanent teeth in Norway.Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1995; 23: 165-169
- Shared decision-making in primary care: the neglected second half of the consultation.Br J Gen Pract. 1999; 49: 477-482
- The patient's role in clinical decision-making.Ann Intern Med. 1980; 93: 718-722
- Single-tooth anterior implant: a word of caution. Part II.J Esthet Dent. 1997; 9: 285-294
- Systematic review of the survival rate and the incidence of biological, technical, and aesthetic complications of single crowns on implants reported in longitudinal studies with a mean follow-up of 5 years.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2012; 23: 2-21
- Long-term survival of endodontically treated teeth at a public dental specialist clinic.J Endod. 2015; 41: 176-181
- Section 4 consensus report: for teeth requiring endodontic treatment, what are the differences in outcomes of restored endodontically treated teeth compared to implant-supported restorations?.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2007; 22: 115-116
- Cost-effectiveness of endodontic molar retreatment compared with fixed partial dentures and single-tooth implant alternatives.J Endod. 2011; 37: 321-325
Published online: January 06, 2016
© 2016 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.