- •Both flow and static Enterococcus faecalis biofilms were developed.
- •The bactericidal effect of strong acid electrolyzed water (SAEW) on E. faecalis biofilms was tested.
- •SAEW showed a bactericidal effect similar to that of 5.25% NaOCl on E. faecalis biofilms.
- •SAEW showed the potential to be a root canal irrigant for root canal disinfection.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Preparation of the root canal: equipment and technique for cleaning, shaping and irrigation.in: Grossman L.I. Oliet S. Del Río C.E. Endodontic Practice. 11th ed. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia1988: 179-227
- The effect of sodium hypochlorite and chlorhexidine on cultured human periodontal ligament cells.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2001; 92: 446-450
- Endodontic irrigation.Gen Dent. 2001; 49: 272-276
- Endodontics.5th ed. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia2003
- Efficacy and safety of strong acid electrolyzed water for peritoneal lavage to prevent surgical site infection in patients with perforated appendicitis.Surg Today. 2015; 45: 876-879
- Durability of bactericidal activity in electrolyzed neutral water by storage.Dent Mater J. 2002; 21: 93-104
- Effectiveness of low concentration electrolyzed water to inactivate foodborne pathogens under different environmental conditions.Int J Food Microbiol. 2010; 139: 147-153
- A study for biofilm removing and antimicrobial effects by microbubbled tap water and other functional water, electrolyzed hypochlorite water and ozonated water.Dent Mater J. 2012; 31: 662-668
- Effects of chlorine and pH on efficacy of electrolyzed water for inactivating Escherichia coli O157: H7 and Listeria monocytogenes.Int J Food Microbiol. 2004; 91: 13-18
- Ex vivo antimicrobial efficacy of strong acid electrolytic water against Enterococcus faecalis biofilm.Int Endod J. 2013; 46: 938-946
- Removal of smear layer in the root canal using oxidative potential water.J Endod. 1996; 22: 643-645
- On the causes of persistent apical periodontitis: a review.Int Endod J. 2006; 39: 249-281
- Association of Enterococcus faecalis with different forms of periradicular diseases.J Endod. 2004; 30: 315-320
- Enterococcus faecalis: Its role in root canal treatment failure and current concepts in retreatment.J Endod. 2006; 32: 93-98
- The Calgary biofilm device: new technology for rapid determination of antibiotic susceptibilities of bacterial biofilms.J Clin Microbiol. 1999; 37: 1771-1776
- Comparative evaluation of endodontic irrigants against Enterococcus faecalis biofilms.J Endod. 2006; 32: 527-531
- Observations of biofilm growth on human dentin and potential destruction after exposure to antibiotics.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008; 105: 526-529
- Continuous drip flow system to develop biofilm of E. faecalis under anaerobic conditions.ScientificWorldJournal. 2014; 2014: 706189
- Metabolic response of biofilm to shear stress in fixed film culture.J Appl Microbiol. 2001; 90: 337-342
- Dentinal tubule infection as the cause of recurrent disease and late endodontic treatment failure: a case report.J Endod. 2012; 38: 250-254
- Microbicidal and cytotoxic effects of functional water in vitro.Quintessence Int. 2010; 41: e166-e172
- Bactericidal effect of electrolyzed neutral water on bacteria isolated from infected root canals.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1999; 87: 83-87
- Escherichia coli biofilms formed under low-shear modeled microgravity in a ground-based system.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2006; 72: 7701-7710
- Current therapeutic options for endodontic biofilms.Endod Topics. 2010; 22: 79-98
- Inactivation of local root canal medicaments by dentine: an in vitro study.Int Endod J. 2000; 33: 126-131
- Microfluidic approaches to bacterial biofilm formation.Molecules. 2012; 17: 9818-9834
- Bacterial aggregation and biofilm formation in a vortical flow.Biomicrofluidics. 2012; 6: 044114
- Impact of hydrodynamics on oral biofilm strength.J Dent Res. 2009; 88: 922-926
- Bactericidal activity of electrolyzed acid water from solution containing sodium chloride at low concentration, in comparison with that at high concentration.J Microbiol Methods. 2002; 49: 285-293
- The antimicrobial effects of root canal irrigation and medication.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007; 103: 560-569
- Assessment and interpretation of bacterial viability by using the LIVE/DEAD BacLight Kit in combination with flow cytometry.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007; 73: 3283-3290
- Green fluorescent protein–propidium iodide (GFP-PI) based assay for flow cytometric measurement of bacterial viability.Cytometry A. 2004; 60: 165-172
- Cleaning efficacy and dentin micro-hardness after root canal irrigation with a strong acid electrolytic water.J Endod. 2006; 32: 1102-1106