- •Cyclic fatigue resistance and torsional strength of Hyflex EDM, ProTaper Gold (PTG), and ProTaper Universal (PTU) instruments were evaluated.
- •Hyflex EDM files exhibited significantly higher resistance to cyclic fatigue than PTG and PTU files.
- •Hyflex EDM files demonstrated significantly lower torsional resistance than PTG instruments, despite their superior flexibility compared with other tested instruments.
- •Although PTG and PTU have similar cross-sectional design, PTG instruments presented higher cyclic fatigue and torsional resistance than PTU instruments.
- Influence of several factors on the success or failure of removal of fractured instruments from the root canal.Dent Traumatol. 1999; 15: 252-258
- Alteration in the inherent metallic and surface properties of nickel–titanium root canal instruments to enhance performance, durability and safety: a focused review.Int Endod J. 2012; 45: 113-128
- HyFlex EDM: superficial features, metallurgical analysis and fatigue resistance of innovative electro discharge machined NiTi rotary instruments.Int Endod J. 2016; 49: 483-493
- Torsional and cyclic fatigue resistance of a new nickel-titanium instrument manufactured by electrical discharge machining.J Endod. 2016; 42: 156-159
- Brochure HyFlex EDM.2016 (Available at:)https://www.coltene.com/fileadmin/Data/EN/Products/Endodontics/Root_Canal_Shaping/HyFlex_EDM/6846_09-15_HyFlex_EN.pdf(Accessed April 2016)
- Phase transformation behavior and resistance to bending and cyclic fatigue of ProTaper Gold and ProTaper Universal instruments.J Endod. 2015; 41: 1134-1138
- The ProTaper technique.Endod Topics. 2005; 10: 187-190
- Variations in cyclic fatigue resistance among ProTaper Gold, ProTaper Next and ProTaper Universal instruments at different levels.Int Endod J. 2016; 49: 494-499
- Mechanical properties of ProTaper Gold nickel-titanium rotary instruments.Int Endod J. 2015; (In press)
- Cyclic fatigue analysis of a new generation of nickel titanium rotary instruments.J Endod. 2009; 35: 401-403
- Evaluation of the resistance to cyclic fatigue among ProTaper Next, ProTaper Universal, and Vortex Blue rotary instruments.J Endod. 2014; 40: 1190-1193
- Dental Root Canal Instruments: Part 1—Files, Reamers, Barbed Broaches, Rasps, Paste Carriers, Explorers and Cotton Broaches.International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland1992
- Instrument fracture: mechanisms, removal of fragments, and clinical outcomes.Endod Topics. 2007; 16: 1-26
- Methods and models to study nickel–titanium instruments.Endod Topics. 2013; 29: 18-41
- Comparison of cyclic fatigue resistance of nickel-titanium coronal flaring instruments.J Endod. 2014; 40: 1182-1185
- Comparison of the cyclic fatigue resistance of five different rotary path-finding instruments made of conventional nickel-titanium wire, M-wire and controlled memory wire.J Endod. 2015; 41: 535-538
- Low-cycle fatigue of TiNi shape memory alloy and formulation of fatigue life.J Eng Mater Technol. 2000; 122: 186-191
- Effect of environment on fatigue failure of controlled memory wire nickel-titanium rotary instruments.J Endod. 2012; 38: 376-380
- Evidence for reduced fatigue resistance of contemporary rotary instruments exposed to body temperature.J Endod. 2016; 42: 782-787
- Effect of a combination of torsional and cyclic fatigue preloading on the fracture behavior of K3 and K3XF instruments.J Endod. 2015; 41: 526-530
- Cyclic fatigue of ProFile rotary instruments after prolonged clinical use.Int Endod J. 2001; 34: 386-389
- A comparison of nickel-titanium rotary instruments manufactured using different methods and cross-sectional areas: ability to resist cyclic fatigue.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2010; 109: 622-628
- Flexibility and torsional resistance of three nickel-titanium retreatment instrument systems.Int Endod J. 2011; 44: 731-738
- Fatigue resistance of a 3-dimensional conforming nickel-titanium rotary instrument in double curvatures.J Endod. 2016; 42: 961-964
- Current challenges and concepts of the thermomechanical treatment of nickel-titanium instruments.J Endod. 2013; 39: 163-172
- Effect of fatigue on torsional failure of nickel-titanium controlled memory instruments.J Endod. 2014; 40: 562-565
- Behavior of nickel-titanium instruments manufactured with different thermal treatments.J Endod. 2015; 41: 67-71
- Mechanical behavior of M-wire and conventional NiTi wire used to manufacture rotary endodontic instruments.Dent Mater. 2013; 29: 318-324
- Torsion and bending properties of shape memory and superelastic nickel-titanium rotary instruments.J Endod. 2013; 39: 101-104