- •The influence of apical enlargement on bacterial reduction was evaluated.
- •Irrigation was done with either sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) or saline.
- •The larger the apical preparation size, the greater the bacterial reduction.
- •NaOCl was superior to saline only at large apical preparation sizes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Root canal disinfection: a review of concepts and recent developments.Aust Endod J. 2003; 29: 70-74
- Bacterial reduction with nickel-titanium rotary instrumentation.J Endod. 1998; 24: 763-767
- Mechanical reduction of the bacterial population in the root canal by three instrumentation techniques.J Endod. 1999; 25: 332-335
- Effects of extensive apical reaming and calcium hydroxide dressing on bacterial infection during treatment of apical periodontitis: a pilot study.Int Endod J. 1991; 24: 1-7
- Chemomechanical reduction of the bacterial population in the root canal after instrumentation and irrigation with 1%, 2.5%, and 5.25% sodium hypochlorite.J Endod. 2000; 26: 331-334
- Comparison of the effectiveness of three irrigation techniques in reducing intracanal Enterococcus faecalis populations: an in vitro study.J Endod. 2009; 35: 1422-1427
- Reduction of intracanal bacteria using nickel-titanium rotary instrumentation and various medications.J Endod. 2000; 26: 751-755
- Efficacy of bacterial removal from instrumented root canals in vitro related to instrumentation technique and size.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2002; 94: 366-371
- The role of apical size determination and enlargement in the reduction of intracanal bacteria.J Endod. 2007; 33: 21-23
- The effectiveness of increased apical enlargement in reducing intracanal bacteria.J Endod. 2002; 28: 779-783
- Influence of apical enlargement on bacterial infection during treatment of apical periodontitis.J Endod. 1994; 20: 535-537
- Microbial status of apical root canal system of human mandibular first molars with primary apical periodontitis after “one-visit” endodontic treatment.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2005; 99: 231-252
- Master apical file size - smaller or larger: a systematic review of microbial reduction.Int Endod J. 2015; 48: 1007-1022
- Characterization of microbiota of root canal-treated teeth with posttreatment disease.J Clin Microbiol. 2012; 50: 1721-1724
- Total and specific bacterial levels in the apical root canal system of teeth with post-treatment apical periodontitis.J Endod. 2015; 41: 1037-1042
- Infection control in retreatment cases: in vivo antibacterial effects of 2 instrumentation systems.J Endod. 2015; 41: 1600-1605
- Streptococci from root canals in teeth with apical periodontitis receiving endodontic treatment.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2005; 100: 232-241
- Identification of bacteria enduring endodontic treatment procedures by a combined reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction and reverse-capture checkerboard approach.J Endod. 2010; 36: 45-52
- Microorganisms from canals of root-filled teeth with periapical lesions.Int Endod J. 2003; 36: 1-11
- Polymerase chain reaction-based analysis of microorganisms associated with failed endodontic treatment.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2004; 97: 85-94
- Disinfecting effects of rotary instrumentation with either 2.5% sodium hypochlorite or 2% chlorhexidine as the main irrigant: a randomized clinical study.J Endod. 2016; 42: 943-947
- Detection and quantification of oral treponemes in subgingival plaque by real-time PCR.J Clin Microbiol. 2002; 40: 3334-3340
- Use of quantitative PCR and culture methods to characterize ecological flux in bacterial biofilms.J Clin Microbiol. 2007; 45: 3072-3076
- Antibacterial effectiveness of 2 root canal irrigants in root-filled teeth with infection: a randomized clinical trial.J Endod. 2016; 42: 1307-1313
- Detection and eradication of microorganisms in root-filled teeth associated with periradicular lesions: an in vivo study.J Endod. 2007; 33: 536-540
- A micro-computed tomographic assessment of root canal preparation with a novel instrument, TRUShape, in mesial roots of mandibular molars.J Endod. 2015; 41: 1545-1550
- The influence of preparation size on the mechanical efficacy of root canal irrigation in vitro.J Endod. 2005; 31: 742-745
- Evaluation of apical debris removal using various sizes and tapers of ProFile GT files.J Endod. 2004; 30: 425-428
- Success and Failure in Endodontics [Odontological Dissertation No. 60].University of Umea, Umea, Sweden1996
- Master apical file size - smaller or larger: a systematic review of healing outcomes.Int Endod J. 2015; 48: 639-647
- Effect of different apical preparation sizes on outcome of primary endodontic treatment: a randomized controlled trial.J Endod. 2012; 38: 1309-1315
- How does canal taper affect root stresses?.Int Endod J. 2006; 39: 226-237
- Contamination controls for analysis of root canal samples by molecular methods: an overlooked and unsolved problem.J Endod. 2016; 42: 1003-1008
- Molecular analysis of endodontic infections.in: Fouad A.F. Endodontic Microbiology. Wiley-Blackwell, Ames2009: 68-107
- Quantitative molecular and culture analyses of bacterial elimination in oval-shaped root canals by a single-file instrumentation technique.Int Endod J. 2012; 45: 871-877