- •First systematic review on survival rate of teeth intentionally replanted with a modern technique and first cost-effectiveness analysis of intentionally replanted teeth.
- •Survival rate of intentionally replanted teeth is 89.1%.
- •Intentional replantation is more cost-effective than a single-tooth implant.
- •When nonsurgical and surgical retreatments are not possible, intentional replantation is an alternative to extraction and replacement with a single-tooth implant.
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Endodontic treatment outcomes in a large patient population in the USA: an epidemiological study.J Endod. 2004; 30: 846-850
- A prospective study of the factors affecting outcomes of non-surgical root canal treatment: part 2: tooth survival.Int Endod J. 2011; 44: 610-625
- Factors affecting the long-term results of endodontic treatment.J Endod. 1990; 16: 498-504
American Association of Endodontics. Guide to Clinical Endodontics. Surgical Endodontics. Available at: http://www.aae.org/uploadedfiles/publications_and_research/member_publications/guidetoclinendo_surgical.pdf. Accessed March 14, 2017.
- The case against intentional replantation.J Am Dent Assoc. 1980; 100: 664-668
- Post-surgical outcomes and prognosis of intentionally replanted lower posterior teeth.Al-Rafidain Dent J. 2010; 10: 332-340
- Clinical outcome of intentional replantation with preoperative orthodontic extrusion: a retrospective study.Int Endod J. 2014; 47: 1168-1176
- Retention and healing outcomes after intentional replantation.J Endod. 2016; 30: 909-915
- Survival of intentionally replanted teeth and implant-supported single crowns: a systematic review.J Endod. 2015; 41: 992-998
- Intentional replantation of teeth.J Am Dent Assoc. 1966; 72: 1111-1118
- A comparison of the marginal leakage of retrograde techniques.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1982; 54: 583-585
- Modern endodontic surgery concepts and practice: a review.J Endod. 2006; 32: 601-623
- Replantation of extracted molars. A radiographic and histological study.Acta Odontol Scand. 1966; 24: 327-346
- Intentional replantation–a ‘last resort’ treatment or a conventional treatment procedure? Nine case reports.Dent Traumatol. 2004; 20: 48-55
- Intentional replantation of endodontically treated teeth.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1993; 76: 623-630
- Intentional replantation of mandibular premolars and molars.J Am Dent Assoc. 1971; 83: 1053-1057
- Survival rate of teeth with a C-shaped canal after intentional replantation: a study of 41 cases for up to 11 years.J Endod. 2016; 42: 1320-1325
- Single-tooth replacement: factors affecting different prosthetic treatment modalities.BMC Oral Health. 2011; 11: 34
- Cost-effectiveness of endodontic molar retreatment compared with fixed partial dentures and single-tooth implant alternatives.J Endod. 2011; 37: 321-325
- Evaluation of the cost-effectiveness of root canal treatment using conventional approaches versus replacement with an implant.Int Endod J. 2009; 42: 874-883
- Direct pulp capping after a carious exposure versus root canal treatment: a cost-effectiveness analysis.J Endod. 2014; 40: 1764-1770
- Meta-analyses and Forest plots using a microsoft excel spreadsheet: step-by-step guide focusing on descriptive data analysis.BMC Res Notes. 2012; 5: 52
American Dental Association. Data Trends in Dentistry 2017. Available at: http://success.ada.org/en/practice-management/finances/survey-of-dental-fees. Accessed September 16, 2017.
- Systematic review of the survival rate and the incidence of biological, technical, and aesthetic complications of single crowns on implants reported in longitudinal studies with a mean follow-up of 5 years.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2012; 23: 2-21
- A systematic review of the 5-year survival and complication rates of implant-supported single crowns.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2008; 19: 119-130
- Intentional replantation: a report of 192 cases.Gen Dent. 1988; 36: 327-331
- Results of intentional replantation of molars.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1999; 57: 240-244
- Prognosis of intentional replantation of vertically fractured roots reconstructed with dentin-bonded resin.J Endod. 2004; 30: 145-148
- Management of a complicated crown-root fracture in a young permanent incisor using intentional replantation.Dent Traumatol. 2008; 24: 100-103
- Diagnosis and treatment of endodontically treated teeth with vertical root fracture: three case reports with two-year follow-up.J Endod. 2011; 37: 97-102
- Diagnosis and treatment of extracanal invasive resorption.J Endod. 1998; 24: 500-504
- Successful treatment of a radicular groove by intentional replantation and Emdogain therapy: four years follow-up.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009; 107: 82-85
- Clinical outcomes after intentional replantation of periodontally involved teeth.J Endod. 2017; 43: 550-555
- Combined endodontic therapy and intentional replantation for the treatment of palatogingival groove.J Endod. 2016; 42: 324-328
- Intentional replantation for the management of maxillary sinusitis.Int Endod J. 2007; 40: 891-899
- Oral and general health-related quality of life with conventional and implant dentures.Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2003; 31: 161-168
- Dental implants placed in previously failed sites: survival rate and factors affecting the outcome.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2008; 19: 259-264
- Intermediate long-term clinical performance of dental implants placed in sites with a previous early implant failure: a retrospective analysis.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2015; 26: 1443-1449
- Survival of dental implants placed in sites of previously failed implants.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2016; 0: 1-6
- Implants placed in sites of previously failed implants: a systematic review.Implant Dent. 2014; 23: 311-318
- Ridge preservation/decoronation.J Endod. 2013; 39: S67-S72
- Timing of extraction of ankylosed teeth to maximize ridge development.J Endod. 1997; 23: 242-245
- Traumatic dental injuries: a manual.2nd ed. Blackwell, Massachusetts1994
- Unconventional implant treatment: I. Implant placement in contact with ankylosed root fragments. A series of five case reports.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2009; 20: 851-856
- Unconventional implant placement part iii: implant placement encroaching upon residual roots–a report of six cases.Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2015; 17: 396-405
- Intentional replantation of a mandibular molar: case report and 14-year follow-up.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2006; 102: 85-87
- Intentional replantation of a mandibular second molar with long-term follow-up: report of a case.Dent Traumatol. 2003; 19: 233-236
- Twenty-year follow-up of an unconventional intentional replantation.J Can Dent Assoc. 2006; 72: 639-642
- Replantation of 400 avulsed permanent incisors. 4. Factors related to periodontal ligament healing.Dent Traumatol. 1995; 11: 76-89
- A comparison of the success of root resected molars and molar position implants in function in a private practice: results of up to 15-plus years.J Periodontol. 2001; 72: 1113-1123
- Post placement affects survival of endodontically treated premolars.J Dent Res. 2007; 86: 729-734