- •A 2-time survey (in 2009 and 2016) was conducted to investigate treatment planning decisions for teeth with apical periodontitis and a history of endodontic treatment.
- •Practitioners of different specialty groups chose between the options wait and observe, nonsurgical retreatment, surgical retreatment, extraction and fixed partial denture, and extraction and implant.
- •Both in 2009 and 2016, great inconsistencies in regard to treatment planning existed among the different practitioner groups and also with regard to practitioner reliability when 104 participants repeated the identical survey in 2016.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
- Criteria for the ideal treatment option for failed endodontics: surgical or nonsurgical?.Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2007; 28: 391-397
- Retreatment decisions–a comparison between general practitioners and endodontic postgraduates.J Endod. 2000; 26: 240-241
- A comparison of retreatment decisions among general dental practitioners and endodontists.J Dent Educ. 2004; 68: 872-879
- The influence of specialty training and experience on decision making in endodontic diagnosis and treatment planning.Int Endod J. 2001; 34: 594-606
- Influence of specialty training and experience on endodontic decision making.J Endod. 2010; 36: 1130-1134
- The influence of specialty training, experience, discussion and reflection on decision making in modern restorative treatment planning.Br Dent J. 2011; 210: E4
- Factors affecting treatment planning decisions for compromised anterior teeth.Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2014; 34: 389-398
- Are more endodontic consultations needed in dental school clinic settings? A study of treatment decisions at one school.J Dent Educ. 2015; 79: 394-398
- Endodontic retreatment. Aspects of decision making and clinical outcome.Swed Dent J Suppl. 2001; 144: 1-57
- The perceived prognosis of endodontic treatment and implant therapy among dental practitioners.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2011; 111: e42-e47
- Comparison of long-term survival of implants and endodontically treated teeth.J Dent Res. 2014; 93: 19-26
- Failed root canals: the case for extraction and immediate implant placement.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005; 63: 829-831
- A review of factors influencing treatment planning decisions of single-tooth implants versus preserving natural teeth with nonsurgical endodontic therapy.J Endod. 2008; 34: 519-529
- Endodontics or implants? A review of decisive criteria and guidelines for single tooth restorations and full arch reconstructions.Int Endod J. 2009; 42: 757-774
- Prerequisite for treatment planning implant dentistry: periodontal prognostication of compromised teeth.Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2007; 28 (quiz 447, 470): 436-446
- Outcome of secondary root canal treatment: a systematic review of the literature.Int Endod J. 2008; 41: 1026-1046
- Outcome of endodontic surgery: a meta-analysis of the literature—part 1: comparison of traditional root-end surgery and endodontic microsurgery.J Endod. 2010; 36: 1757-1765
- Outcome of endodontic surgery: a meta- analysis of the literature - part 2: comparison of endodontic microsurgical techniques with and without the use of higher magnification.J Endod. 2012; 38: 1-10
- Outcomes of surgical endodontic treatment performed by a modern technique: an updated meta-analysis of the literature.J Endod. 2013; 39: 332-339
- Tooth preservation or implant placement: a systematic review of long-term tooth and implant survival rates.J Am Dent Assoc. 2013; 144: 1119-1133
- Effectiveness of implant therapy analyzed in a Swedish population: prevalence of peri-implantitis.J Dent Res. 2016; 95: 43-49
- Peri-implant health and disease. A systematic review of current epidemiology.J Clin Periodontol. 2015; 42: S158-S171
- Are dental implants a panacea or should we better strive to save teeth?.J Dent Res. 2016; 95: 5-6
- There is an overuse of implants in the world and an underuse of teeth as targets for treatment.Br Dent J. 2014; 217: 396-397
- Reliability of radiographic interpretations.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1974; 38: 287-293
- Radiographic evaluation of endodontic therapy and the influence of observer variation.Scand J Dent Res. 1983; 91: 205-212
- Applications of cone-beam computed tomography in oral and maxillofacial surgery: an overview of published indications and clinical usage in United States academic centers and oral and maxillofacial surgery practices.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 74: 668-679
- A survey of cone-beam computed tomographic use among endodontic practitioners in the United States.J Endod. 2017; 43: 699-704
- Systematic review of the survival rate and incidence of biologic, technical, and esthetic complications of single implant abutments supporting fixed prostheses.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014; 29: 99-116
United States Census Bureau. QuickFacts. Pennsylvania; United States. Available at: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/PA,US#viewtop. Accessed July 20, 2017.
Bernardo R. Electorate representation index: which states most closely resemble the U.S.? Available at: https://wallethub.com/edu/electorate-representation-index/18190/. Accessed July 20, 2017.