- •In this longitudinal clinical study, healing of preoperative apical periodontitis was evaluated in patients on statins and control patients.
- •The study controlled for the following confounding variables: age, sex, length of time to evaluation, statin agent, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease.
- •A multivariate analysis showed a significant association between healing and the intake of statins (P < .05).
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Statins augment vascular endothelial growth factor expression in osteoblastic cells via inhibition of protein prenylation.Endocrinology. 2003; 144: 681-692
- Induction of osteoblast differentiation indices by statins in MC3T3-E1 cells.J Cell Biochem. 2004; 92: 458-471
- Simvastatin promotes osteoblast differentiation and mineralization in MC3T3-E1 cells.J Cell Biochem. 2001; 280: 874-877
- Simvastatin, 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitor, suppresses osteoclastogenesis induced by receptor activator of nuclear factor-kappaB ligand through modulation of NF-kappaB pathway.Int J Cancer. 2008; 123: 1733-1740
- Does the adjunctive use of statins provide additional benefits to nonsurgical periodontal treatment? A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Periodontal Res. 2018; 53: 12-21
- Simvastatin as a novel strategy to alleviate periapical lesions.J Endod. 2009; 35: 657-662
- Simvastatin alleviates the progression of periapical lesions by modulating autophagy and apoptosis in osteoblasts.J Endod. 2012; 38: 757-763
- Simvastatin induces the odontogenic differentiation of human dental pulp stem cells in vitro and in vivo.J Endod. 2009; 35: 367-372
- Controlled release of simvastatin from biodegradable hydrogels promotes odontoblastic differentiation.Dent Mater J. 2015; 34: 466-474
- Simvastatin promotes odontoblastic differentiation and expression of angiogenic factors via heme oxygenase-1 in primary cultured human dental pulp cells.J Endod. 2010; 36: 447-452
- Potential correlation between statins and pulp chamber calcification.J Endod. 2013; 39: 1119-1123
- On the causes of persistent apical periodontitis: a review.Int Endod J. 2006; 39: 249-281
- Periapical status of endodontically treated teeth in relation to the technical quality of the root filling and the coronal restoration.Int Endod J. 1995; 28: 12-18
- Periapical health related to the quality of root canal treatment in a Belgian population.Int Endod J. 2000; 33: 113-120
- Periapical status and quality of root fillings and coronal restorations in an adult Spanish population.Int Endod J. 2004; 37: 525-530
- Prevalence of apical periodontitis and results of endodontic treatment in an adult, Portuguese population.Int Endod J. 1998; 31: 161-165
- The Tennessee study: factors affecting treatment outcome and healing time following nonsurgical root canal treatment.Int Endod J. 2016; 49: 6-16
- A prospective study of the factors affecting outcomes of nonsurgical root canal treatment: part 1: periapical health.Int Endod J. 2011; 44: 583-609
- A prospective cohort study of endodontic treatments of 1,369 root canals: results after 5 years.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radio Endod. 2011; 112: 825-842
- The periapical index: a scoring system for radiographic assessment of apical periodontitis.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1986; 2: 20-34
- SPSS for Windows Step by Step.Allyn & Bacon, Inc, Boston, MA2000
- Treatment outcome in endodontics: the Toronto Study. Phase 1: initial treatment.J Endod. 2003; 29: 787-793
- Treatment outcome in endodontics: the Toronto Study. Phase III: initial treatment.J Endod. 2006; 32: 299-306
- Cholesterol crystals as an etiological factor in non-resolving chronic inflammation: an experimental study in guinea pigs.Eur J Oral Sci. 1998; 106: 644-650
- Antimicrobial activity and flow rate of newer and established root canal sealers.J Endod. 2000; 26: 274-277
- Outcome of primary root canal treatment: systematic review of the literature – part 2. Influence of clinical factors.Int Endod J. 2008; 41: 6-31
- Outcome of secondary root canal treatment: a systematic review of the literature.Int Endod J. 2008; 41: 1026-1046
- The effect of simvastatin on bone formation and ceramic resorption in a peri-implant defect model.Acta Biomater. 2008; 4: 149-155
- Simvastatin, an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor, reduced the expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 (Gelatinase B) in osteoblastic cells and HT1080 fibrosarcoma cells.J Pharmacol Sci. 2004; 94: 403-409
- Protective mechanisms of simvastatin in experimental periodontal disease.J Periodontol. 2013; 84: 1145-1157
- An analysis of endodontic treatment with three nickel-titanium rotary root canal preparation techniques.Int Endod J. 2004; 37: 849-859
- Treatment outcome in endodontics: the Toronto study–phase 4: initial treatment.J Endod. 2008; 34: 258-263
- Factors affecting the outcome of orthograde root canal therapy in a general dentistry hospital practice.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radio Endod. 2005; 99: 119-124
- Essential Endodontology: Prevention and Treatment of Apical Periodontitis.Blackwell Munksgaard, Copenhagen, Denmark2008