This study assessed the cleaning, shaping, and disinfection abilities of 2 instrumentation systems in molar root canals using a novel correlative analytical approach.
The root canals from extracted mandibular and maxillary molars with apical periodontitis were pair matched according to anatomic similarities as determined by micro–computed tomographic analysis and prepared with either XP-endo Shaper (FKG Dentaire, La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland) (n = 16) or Reciproc Blue (VDW, Munich, Germany) (n = 16) instruments and 2.5% sodium hypochlorite irrigation. Pre- and postpreparation micro–computed tomographic scans were used to identify and calculate the unprepared surface areas (shaping), which were histobacteriologically evaluated for the presence of residual bacteria (disinfection) and pulp tissue remnants (cleaning) in each canal third.
Unprepared canal surface areas for XP-endo Shaper and Reciproc Blue in the full canal length were approximately 26% and 19% (P < .05), respectively (30% and 23% in the apical part of the canal, P > .05). Preparation with Reciproc Blue resulted in 37.5% canals free of bacteria in all sections examined and 56% in the apical sections only. XP-endo Shaper resulted in 44% canals free of bacteria in all sections, and 56% in the apical part of the canal only. Pulp tissue remnants were not observed in 31% (all canal sections) and 50% (apical canal sections) of specimens from both instrument systems. No significant differences were observed between instruments when comparing the amount of pulp tissue remnants and the number of cases negative for bacteria and tissue remnants (P > .05).
Although the Reciproc Blue instrument had superior shaping ability in comparison with XP-endo Shaper, both systems performed similarly in cleaning and disinfecting root canals. Irregular canals and difficult-to-reach areas were not thoroughly cleaned and disinfected by any of the tested systems.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A prospective cohort study of endodontic treatments of 1,369 root canals: results after 5 years.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2011; 112: 825-842
- Wound healing of apical tissues after root canal therapy: a long-term clinical, radiographic, and histopathologic observation study.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009; 108: 609-621
- The effects of surgical exposures of dental pulps in germ-free and conventional laboratory rats.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1965; 20: 340-349
- Clinical efficacy of treatment procedures in endodontic infection control and one year follow-up of periapical healing.J Endod. 2005; 31: 863-866
- Outcome of endodontic retreatment using 2 root canal irrigants and influence of infection on healing as determined by a molecular method: a randomized clinical trial.J Endod. 2019; 45: 1089-1098.e5
- Clinical implications and microbiology of bacterial persistence after treatment procedures.J Endod. 2008; 34: 1291-1301.e3
- Correlative bacteriologic and micro-computed tomographic analysis of mandibular molar mesial canals prepared by self-adjusting file, Reciproc, and Twisted File systems.J Endod. 2013; 39: 1044-1050
- Changes in root canal geometry after preparation assessed by high-resolution computed tomography.J Endod. 2001; 27: 1-6
- Root canal preparation with Endo-Eze AET: changes in root canal shape assessed by micro-computed tomography.Int Endod J. 2005; 38: 456-464
- Micro-computed tomography study of oval-shaped canals prepared with the self-adjusting file, Reciproc, WaveOne, and ProTaper universal systems.J Endod. 2013; 39: 1060-1066
- Unprepared root canal surface areas: causes, clinical implications, and therapeutic strategies.Braz Oral Res. 2018; 32: e65
- Cleaning and shaping oval canals with 3 instrumentation systems: a correlative micro-computed tomographic and histologic study.J Endod. 2017; 43: 1878-1884
- What happens to unprepared root canal walls: a correlative analysis using micro-computed tomography and histology/scanning electron microscopy.Int Endod J. 2018; 51: 501-508
- Blue thermomechanical treatment optimizes fatigue resistance and flexibility of the Reciproc files.J Endod. 2017; 43: 462-466
- Evaluation of several instrumentation techniques and irrigation methods on the percentage of untouched canal wall and accumulated dentine debris in C-shaped canals.Int Endod J. 2019; 52: 1354-1365
- Effect of larger apical size on the quality of preparation in curved canals using reciprocating instruments with different heat thermal treatments.Int Endod J. 2019; 52: 1652-1659
- Micro-computed tomography shaping ability assessment of the new blue thermal treated Reciproc instrument.J Endod. 2018; 44: 1146-1150
- Adjunctive steps for disinfection of the mandibular molar root canal system: a correlative bacteriologic, micro-computed tomography, and cryopulverization approach.J Endod. 2016; 42: 1667-1672
- Biofilms and apical periodontitis: study of prevalence and association with clinical and histopathologic findings.J Endod. 2010; 36: 1277-1288
- Histologic investigation of root canal-treated teeth with apical periodontitis: a retrospective study from twenty-four patients.J Endod. 2009; 35: 493-502
- One- versus two-visit endodontic treatment of teeth with apical periodontitis: a histobacteriologic study.J Endod. 2012; 38: 1040-1052
- Bacterial status in root-filled teeth exposed to the oral environment by loss of restoration and fracture or caries--a histobacteriological study of treated cases.Int Endod J. 2003; 36: 787-802
- Effects of root canal preparation on apical geometry assessed by micro-computed tomography.J Endod. 2009; 35: 1056-1059
- Effects of two nickel-titanium instrument systems, Mtwo versus ProTaper universal, on root canal geometry assessed by micro-computed tomography.J Endod. 2011; 37: 1412-1416
- Micro-CT evaluation of non-instrumented canal areas with different enlargements performed by NiTi systems.Braz Dent J. 2015; 26: 624-629
- Blue treatment enhances cyclic fatigue resistance of vortex nickel-titanium rotary files.J Endod. 2014; 40: 1451-1453
- Effects of increased apical enlargement on the amount of unprepared areas and coronal dentine removal: a micro-computed tomography study.Int Endod J. 2018; 51: 684-690
- Bacterial reduction in infected root canals treated with 2.5% NaOCl as an irrigant and calcium hydroxide/camphorated paramonochlorophenol paste as an intracanal dressing.J Endod. 2007; 33: 667-672
- Reduction of intracanal bacteria using GT rotary instrumentation, 5.25% NaOCl, EDTA, and Ca(OH)2.J Endod. 2005; 31: 359-363
- Rôças IN, et al. Clinical antimicrobial efficacy of NiTi rotary instrumentation with NaOCl irrigation, final rinse with chlorhexidine and interappointment medication: a molecular study.Int Endod J. 2013; 46: 225-233
- Identification of bacteria enduring endodontic treatment procedures by a combined reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction and reverse-capture checkerboard approach.J Endod. 2010; 36: 45-52
- Disinfecting oval-shaped root canals: effectiveness of different supplementary approaches.J Endod. 2011; 37: 496-501
- Optimising single-visit disinfection with supplementary approaches: a quest for predictability.Aust Endod J. 2011; 37: 92-98
- Changes in root canal microbiota during the development of rat periapical lesions.Oral Microbiol Immunol. 1994; 9: 129-135
- Epithelium and bacteria in periapical lesions.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2006; 101: 239-249
Published online: April 30, 2020
© 2020 American Association of Endodontists.