Transforming growth factor beta 1 (TGF-β1) plays an important role in bone mineralization and has been reported to promote osteoblast proliferation and differentiation. However, there is no report about the effects of TGF-β1 on human cementoblasts. The purpose of this study was to clarify the effect of TGF-β1 on the proliferation and differentiation of the human cementoblast cell line (HCEM) in vitro.
HCEM cells were stimulated with TGF-β1 at concentrations of 0.05, 0.5, 5, and 10 ng/mL. A proliferation assay was performed from 24–72 hours. The effect of TGF-β1 on mineralization was analyzed by quantifying the area stained with alizarin red on days 7 and 14. Real-time polymerase chain reaction was used to assess the effect of TGF-β1 on the mineralization-related genes alkaline phosphatase, bone sialoprotein, and type I collagen on days 3, 7, and 14.
TGF-β1 did not affect cell proliferation. TGF-β1 together with the mineralization medium (consisting of ascorbic acid, dexamethasone, and β-glycerophosphate) increased the alizarin red–stained area on days 7 and 14. Real-time polymerase chain reaction revealed that alkaline phosphatase messenger RNA expression was increased in TGF-β1–stimulated HCEM cells in mineralization medium on days 3 and 7, whereas bone sialoprotein and type I collagen messenger RNA expression was increased on day 7.
Although TGF-β1 does not affect cell proliferation, it does promote cell differentiation and mineralization of HCEM cells.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Immunolocalization of bone-resorptive cytokines in rat pulp and periapical lesions following surgical pulp exposure.Oral Microbiol Immunol. 1995; 10: 213-219
- Pathogenesis of induced rat periapical lesions.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1994; 78: 494-502
- Histologic evaluation of induced apical closure of a human pulpless tooth. Report of a case.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1974; 38: 954-959
- Pathways of the Pulp. Mosby Elsevier, St Louis, MO2011 (p. 306-9. 552–555) 10th ed.
- Outcomes of MTA as root-end filling in endodontic surgery: a systematic review.Quintessence Int. 2010; 41: 557-566
- Mineral trioxide aggregate and other bioactive endodontic cements: an updated overview - part II: other clinical applications and complications.Int Endod J. 2018; 51: 284-317
- Bioactive glass-based endodontic sealer as a promising root canal filling material without semisolid core materials.Materials (Basel). 2019; 12: 3967
- Application of enamel matrix derivative (Emdogain) in endodontic therapy: a comprehensive literature review.J Endod. 2018; 44: 1066-1079
- Multiple TGF- β superfamily signals modulate the adult drosophila immune response.Curr Biol. 2011; 21: 1672-1677
- Dynamics of transforming growth factor beta signaling in wound healing and scarring.Adv Wound Care (New Rochelle). 2013; 2: 195-214
- The role of the TGF- β family in wound healing, burns and scarring: a review.Int J Burns Trauma. 2012; 2: 18-28
- Transforming growth factor beta family: insight into the role of growth factors in regulation of fracture healing biology and potential clinical applications.Mediators Inflamm. 2015; 2015: 137823
- Transforming growth factor-beta 1 expression in the peri-implant soft tissues of healthy and failing dental implants.J Periodontol. 2003; 74: 446-450
- The TGF- β superfamily: new members, new receptors, and new genetic tests of function in different organisms.Genes Dev. 1994; 8: 133-146
- Root cementum modulates periodontal regeneration in class III furcation defects treated by the guided tissue regeneration technique: a histometric study in dogs.J Periodontol. 2006; 77: 976-982
- Cementum and periodontal wound healing and regeneration.Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2002; 13: 474-484
- Akt activation is required for TGF-β1-induced osteoblast differentiation of MC3T3-E1 pre-osteoblasts.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e112566
- The effect of transforming growth factor beta one (TGF-beta 1) on wound healing, with or without barrier membranes, in a class II furcation defect in sheep.J Periodontal Res. 1998; 33: 335-344
- Proliferative effect of growth factors TGF-beta1, PDGF-BB and rhBMP-2 on human gingival fibroblasts and periodontal ligament cells.J Int Acad Periodontol. 2003; 5: 63-70
- Characterization of established cementoblast-like cell lines from human cementum-lining cells in vitro and in vivo.Bone. 2006; 39: 1035-1042
- Type beta transforming growth factor regulates expression of genes encoding bone matrix proteins.Connect Tissue Res. 1989; 21: 71-75
- Effects of TGF-β1 on the proliferation and differentiation of human periodontal ligament cells and a human periodontal ligament stem/progenitor cell line.Cell Tissue Res. 2010; 342: 233-242
- Effect of rhTGF-β1 combined with bone grafts on human periodontal cell differentiation.Growth Factors. 2011; 29: 14-20
- Targeted disruption of Cbfa1 results in a complete lack of bone formation owing to maturational arrest of osteoblasts.Cell. 1997; 89: 755-764
- Transcriptional mechanisms in osteoblast differentiation and bone formation.Trends Genet. 2003; 19: 458-466
- Signaling and transcriptional regulation in osteoblast commitment and differentiation.Front Biosci. 2007; 12: 3068-3092
- Maturational disturbance of chondrocytes in Cbfa1-deficient mice.Dev Dyn. 1999; 214: 279-290
- Runx2 determines bone maturity and turnover rate in postnatal bone development and is involved in bone loss in estrogen deficiency.Dev Dyn. 2007; 236: 1876-1890
- Effect of EDTA on TGF-β1 released from the dentin matrix and its influence on dental pulp stem cell migration.Brz Oral Res. 2016; 30: e131
- TGF-β signaling regulates cementum formation through osterix expression.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 26046
- Immunohistochemical localization of connective tissue growth factor, transforming growth factor-beta1 and phosphorylated-smad2/3 in the developing periodontium of rats.J Periodontal Res. 2014; 49: 624-633
Published online: January 09, 2021
© 2021 American Association of Endodontists.