Guided tissue regeneration has been considered a promising biological strategy to replace conventional endodontic therapies of teeth with incomplete root formation. Therefore, in the present study, a collagen/gelatin hydrogel either containing dosages of fibronectin (FN), or not, was developed and assessed concerning their bioactive and chemotactic potential on human apical papilla cells (hAPCs).
Hydrogels were prepared by varying the ratio of collagen and gelatin (Col/Gel; v/v), and used to establish the following groups: Collagen (positive control); Col/Gel 4:6; Col/Gel 6:4; Col/Gel 8:2. The viability, adhesion, and spreading of cells seeded on the hydrogels were evaluated. Different concentrations of FN (0, 5, or 10 μg/mL) were incorporated into the best formulation of the collagen/gelatin hydrogel selected. Then, the hAPCs seeded on the biomaterials were assessed concerning the cell migration, viability, adhesion and spreading, and gene expression of ITGA5, ITGAV, COL1A1, and COL3A1.
The Col/Gel 8:2 group exhibited better cell viability, adhesion and spreading in comparison with Control. Higher values of hAPC migration, viability, adhesion, spreading and gene expression of pulp regeneration markers were found, the higher the concentration was of FN incorporated into the collagen/gelatin hydrogel.
Collagen/gelatin hydrogel with 10 μg/mL of FN had potent bioactive and chemotactic effects on cultured hAPCs.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cell-free approaches for dental pulp tissue engineering.J Endod. 2020; 46: S143-S149
- Functionalized scaffolds to enhance tissue regeneration.Regen Biomater. 2015; 2: 47-57
- Pulp regeneration in a full length human tooth root using a hierarchical nanofibrous microsphere system.Acta Biomater. 2016; 35: 57-67
- Polymer-based instructive scaffolds for endodontic regeneration.Materials (Basel). 2019; 12: 2347
- Regenerative potential of immature permanent teeth with necrotic pulps after different regenerative protocols.J Endod. 2014; 40: 192-198
- Histopathological condition of the remaining tissues after endodontic infection of rat immature teeth.J Endod. 2014; 40: 538-542
- Dental pulp tissue engineering in full-length human root canals.J Dent Res. 2013; 92: 970-975
- The interplay of dental pulp stem cells and endothelial cells in an injectable peptide hydrogel on angiogenesis and pulp regeneration in vivo.Tissue Eng Part A. 2015; 21: 550-563
- Pulp regeneration by 3-dimensional dental pulp stem cell constructs.J Dent Res. 2018; 97: 1137-1143
- Cotransplantation of human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells and endothelial cells for angiogenesis and pulp regeneration in vivo.Life Sci. 2020; 225: 1-15
- Evaluation of a commercially available hyaluronic acid hydrogel (restylane) as injectable scaffold for dental pulp regeneration: an in vitro evaluation.J Endod. 2017; 43: 257-262
- Injectable and tunable hyaluronic acid hydrogels releasing chemotactic and angiogenic growth factors for endodontic regeneration.Acta Biomater. 2018; 77: 155-171
- Pulp regeneration: current approaches and future challenges.Front Physiol. 2016; 7: 58
- Dental pulp regeneration via cell homing.Int Endod J. 2018; 51: 405-419
- Acellular biomaterial strategies for endodontic regeneration.Biomater Sci. 2019; 7: 506-519
- The interplay of fibronectin functionalization and TGF-β1 presence on fibroblast proliferation, differentiation and migration in 3D matrices.Biomater Sci. 2015; 3: 1291-1301
- Evaluation of dehydrated human umbilical cord biological properties for wound care and soft tissue healing.J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2019; 107: 1035-1046
- Induction of migration of periodontal ligament cells by selective regulation of integrin subunits.J Cell Mol Med. 2019; 23: 1211-1223
- Recruitment of ανβ3 integrin to α5β1 integrin-induced clusters enables focal adhesion maturation and cell spreading.J Cell Sci. 2020; 133: 1-14
- Extracellular matrix type modulates cell migration on mechanical gradients.Exp Cell Res. 2017; 359: 361-366
- A glance on the role of fibronectin in controlling cell response at biomaterial interface.Jpn Dent Sci Rev. 2020; 56: 50-55
- Histologic evaluation of regenerative endodontic procedures with the use of chitosan scaffolds in immature dog teeth with apical periodontitis.J Endod. 2017; 43: 1279-1287
- Development of fibronectin-loaded nanofiber scaffolds for guided pulp tissue regeneration.J Biomed Mater Res. 2020; : e34785
- Biological analysis of simvastatin-releasing chitosan scaffold as a cell-free system for pulp-dentin regeneration.J Endod. 2018; 44: 971-976.e1
- Matrikines for therapeutic and biomedical applications.Life Sci. 2018; 214: 22-33
- Hand-held bioprinting for de novo vascular formation applicable to dental pulp regeneration.Connect Tissue Res. 2020; 61: 205-215
- Impaired contracture of 3D collagen constructs by fibronectin-deficient murine fibroblasts.Front Physiol. 2019; 10: 166
- Functional vascular tissue engineering inspired by matricellular proteins.Front Cardiovasc Med. 2019; 6: 74
- A review of tissue-engineered skin bioconstructs available for skin reconstruction.J R Soc Interface. 2010; 7: 229-258
- Valorization of by-products from commercial fish species: extraction and chemical properties of skin gelatins.Molecules. 2017; 22: 1545
- Gelatin carriers for drug and cell delivery in tissue engineering.J Control Release. 2014; 190: 210-218
- Synthesis and mechanical properties of double cross-linked gelatin-graphene oxidehydrogels.Int J Biol Macromol. 2017; 101: 791-798
- Preparation and characterization of gelatin and antioxidant peptides from gelatin hydrolysate of skipjack tuna (Katsuwonus pelamis) bone stimulated by in vitro gastrointestinal digestion.Mar Drugs. 2019; 17: 78
- Protease-activated receptor signalling initiates α5β1-integrin-mediated adhesion in non-haematopoietic cells.Nat Mater. 2020; 19: 218-226
- Design and characterization of a chitosan-enriched fibrin hydrogel for human dental pulp regeneration.Dent Mater. 2019; 35: 523-533
Published online: April 19, 2021
© 2021 American Association of Endodontists.