Photoactivated chitosan-based nanoparticles can eliminate bacterial biofilm, inactivate endotoxins, improve resistance to biological degradation (resorption), and promote bone regeneration. This case is the first documentation to highlight the successful healing of teeth with extensive inflammatory root resorption (IRR) with periapical lesions using a combined surgical and nonsurgical root canal therapy using rose bengal functionalized chitosan nanoparticles (CSRBnp).
A 17-year-old boy with extensive IRR of maxillary right canine (teeth #6), maxillary right lateral incisor (#7), maxillary right central incisor (#8), and maxillary left central incisor (#9) was treated with photoactivated CSRBnp, both intracanal as well as topically on resorptive defects and periapical lesions. The larger external resorptive defects on the root surfaces were restored with Biodentine, whereas the through-and-through periapical lesions were packed with sticky bone for Guided Bone Regeneration.
At 26 months of follow-up, the clinical, 2-dimensional (intraoral periapical radiographs) and 3-dimensional (cone-beam computed tomography) images showed absence of clinical symptoms, teeth mobility, arrested IRR, and significant osseous healing of the periradicular region. Postoperatively, the patient retraumatized thrice in relation to #7 resulting in horizontal root fracture, which showed type I pattern of root fracture healing in the follow-up.
Photoactivated chitosan-based nanoparticles can be a viable therapeutic option to hinder root resorption while enhancing healing outcomes in cases of severe IRR.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Textbook and color atlas of traumatic injuries to the teeth.5th edn. Wiley Blackwell, 2019
- Etiology and pathogenesis of traumatic dental injuries. A clinical study of 1,298 cases.Scand J Dent Res. 1970; 78: 329-342
- Prevention and management of external inflammatory resorption following trauma to teeth.Aust Dent J. 2016; 61: 82-94
- Is the resorption external or internal?.Dent Update. 2007; 34: 218-229
- Cellular and molecular pathways leading to external root resorption.J Dent Res. 2017; 96: 145-152
- Incidence of root resorption after the replantation of avulsed teeth: a meta-analysis.J Endod. 2018; 44: 1216-1227
- Factors affecting the time of onset of resorption in avulsed and replanted incisor teeth in children.Dent Traumatol. 2001; 17: 205-209
- Glossary of endodontic terms. 10th edition. Updated in 2020.(Available at:)Accessed June 22, 2020)
- Effect of immediate intracanal placement of Ledermix paste on healing of replanted dog teeth after extended dry times.Dent Traumatol. 2002; 18: 316-321
- Nanotechnology in endodontics, current and potential clinical applications.1st ed. Springer International Publishing, Switzerland2015
- Photoactivated polycationic bioactive chitosan nanoparticles inactivate bacterial endotoxins.J Endod. 2015; 41: 686-691
- Photoactivated rose bengal functionalized chitosan nanoparticles produce antibacterial/biofilm activity and stabilize dentin-collagen.Nanomedicine. 2014; 10: 491-501
- Bioactivity of photoactivated functionalized nanoparticles assessed in lipopolysaccharide-contaminated root canals in vivo.J Endod. 2018; 44: 104-110
- Lipopolysaccharide regulates MMP-9 expression through TLR4/NF-κB signaling in human arterial smooth muscle cells.Mol Med Rep. 2012; 6: 774-778
- Strategies to minimize the consequences of trauma to the teeth.J Oral Health Dent Manag. 2014; 13: 229-242
- Regeneration versus repair.in: Cohen I.K. Diegelmann R.F. Lindblad J.W. Wound healing: biochemical and clinical aspects. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia1992: 20-39
- Age and timing of pulp extirpation as major factors associated with inflammatory root resorption in replanted permanent teeth.J Endod. 2014; 40: 366-371
- Avulsed human teeth replanted within 15 minutes: a long term clinical follow-up study.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1990; 6: 37-42
- On the causes of persistent apical periodontitis: a review.Int Endod J. 2006; 39: 249-281
- Effect of root canal procedures on endotoxins and endodontic pathogens.Oral Microbiol Immunol. 2007; 22: 411-418
- Quantification of endotoxins in necrotic root canals from symptomatic and asymptomatic teeth.J Med Microbiol. 2005; 54: 777-783
- Effect of residual bacteria on the outcome of pulp regeneration in vivo.J Dent Res. 2017; 96: 100-106
- Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy action based on nanostructured phototosensitizers.in: Grumezescu A.M. Multifunctional systems for combined delivery, biosensing and diagnostics. Elsevier, Amsterdam2017: 9-29
- Chitosan decreases total cholesterol in women: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2003; 57: 721-725
- Nasal absorption enhancement of insulin using PEG-grafted chitosan nanoparticles.Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2008; 68: 526-534
- A new hemostatic agent: initial life-saving experience with Celox (chitosan) in cardiothoracic surgery.Ann Thorac Surg. 2009; 87: e13-e14
- Clinical evaluation of an oral mucoadhesive film containing chitosan for the treatment of recurrent aphthous stomatitis: a randomized, double-blind study.J Dermatolog Treat. 2020; 31: 739-743
- Effect of two desensitizing agents on dentin hypersensitivity: a randomized split-mouth clinical trial.J Cons Dent. 2019; 22: 522-528
- Rose bengal staining as an assessment of ocular surface damage and recovery in dry eye disease-a review.Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2013; 36: 272-280
- Rose bengal photodynamic antimicrobial therapy for patients with progressive infectious keratitis: a pilot clinical study.Am J Ophthalmol. 2019; 208: 387-396
- Materials and prognostic factors of bone regeneration in periapical surgery: a systematic review.Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2014; 19: e419-e425
- Utilization of autologous Concentrated Growth Factors (CGF) enriched bone graft matrix (Sticky Bone) and CGF-enriched fibrin membrane in implant dentistry.J Implant & Advanced Clinical Dent. 2015; 7: 11-29
- Effect of the concentration of phenothiazine photosensitizers in antimicrobial photodynamic therapy on bone loss and the immune inflammatory response of induced periodontitis in rats.J Periodontal Res. 2014; 49: 584-594
- How repair cementum becomes attached to the resorbed roots of human permanent teeth.Acta Anat (Basel). 1994; 150: 253-266
- Basic considerations in periodontal wound healing to achieve regeneration.Periodontol 2000. 1993; 1: 16-25
- Dental cementum: the dynamic tissue covering of the root.Periodontol 2000. 1997; 13: 41-75
- Understanding external cervical resorption patterns in endodontically treated teeth.Int Endod J. 2017; 50: 1116-1133
- Management of trauma-induced inflammatory root resorption using mineral trioxide aggregate obturation: two-year follow up.Dent Traumatol. 2010; 26: 501-504
- Physicochemical properties and dentin bond strength of a tricalcium silicate-based retrograde material.Braz Dent J. 2017; 28: 51-56
Published online: April 19, 2021
© 2021 American Association of Endodontists.