A cracked tooth may occur due to excessive applied force or tooth weakness. However, there is scant information concerning the cracked tooth risk factors. This study aimed to explore the oral functional behaviors and tooth factors associated with posterior cracked teeth.
Fifty-six patients underwent their oral functional behavior assessment via a questionnaire. The intraoral parameters at the patient level (remaining teeth, occluding tooth pairs, overbite, overjet, and occlusal guidance type) and tooth level (remaining marginal ridge number, restored surface number, restorative materials, and cuspal inclination) were examined. The posterior teeth were stained with methylene blue dye and inspected for cracks using a microscope. The correlations between each patient-level parameter and the cracked tooth number/subject were determined using linear regression analysis. The cracked teeth were matched with their contralateral noncracked teeth, and binary regression analysis was used to analyze the association between tooth-level parameters and a cracked tooth. Multivariate regression analysis was performed if more than 1 parameter had a P value ≤.1.
One hundred thirty-five cracked teeth were found. Eating hard food was significantly related to the cracked tooth number (P < .05). In molars, the occlusal surface restoration and cuspal inclination were significantly related to a cracked tooth, except the mesiobuccal cusp. In the multivariate analysis, the distolingual cusp inclination significantly predicted a cracked tooth (P < .05). In premolars, the lingual cusp inclination was associated with a cracked tooth (P < .05).
Eating hard food, occlusal surface restoration, and steep cuspal inclination were associated with posterior cracked teeth.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Longitudinal tooth cracks and fractures: an update and review.Endod Topics. 2015; 33: 14-42
- Analysis of 154 cases of teeth with cracks.Dent Traumatol. 2006; 22: 118-123
- The cracked tooth conundrum: terminology, classification, diagnosis, and management.Am J Dent. 2008; 21: 275-282
- Cracked teeth: distribution, characteristics, and survival after root canal treatment.J Endod. 2016; 42: 557-562
- 12-month success of cracked teeth treated with orthograde root canal treatment.J Endod. 2018; 44: 543-548
- The cracked-tooth syndrome: clinical features and case reports.Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 1992; 12: 395-405
- Incomplete crown-root fracture in pulpal-periodontal disease.J Periodontol. 1973; 44: 369-379
- Crack lines: the precursors of tooth fractures - their diagnosis and treatment.Quintessence Int Dent Dig. 1983; 14: 437-447
- Cracked teeth and poor oral masticatory habits: a matched case-control study in China.J Endod. 2017; 43: 885-889
- Multivariate Data Analysis: A Global Perspective.Pearson Education, Upper Saddle River, NJ2010
- Correlation between symptoms and external characteristics of cracked teeth: findings from the National Dental Practice-Based Research Network.J Am Dent Assoc. 2017; 148: 246-256.e1
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- Correlation between cuspal inclination and tooth cracked syndrome: a three-dimensional reconstruction measurement and finite element analysis.Dent Traumatol. 2013; 29: 226-233
- Applied Linear Statistical Models.5th ed. McGraw-Hill, New York2004
- Predictable management of cracked teeth with reversible pulpitis.Aust Dent J. 2009; 54: 306-315
- Different treatment protocols for different pulpal and periapical diagnoses of 72 cracked teeth.J Endod. 2013; 39: 449-452
- Analysis of factors associated with cracked teeth.J Endod. 2012; 38: 288-292
- A six year evaluation of cracked teeth diagnosed with reversible pulpitis: treatment and prognosis.J Endod. 2007; 33: 1405-1407
- Recommended treatment of cracked teeth: results from the National Dental Practice-Based Research Network.J Prosthet Dent. 2020; 123: 71-78
- Cracked-tooth syndrome.J Am Dent Assoc. 1964; 68: 405-411
- Cracked tooth syndrome.J Prosthet Dent. 1982; 47: 36-43
- Prevalence of cracked tooth in a group of patients at the Faculty of Dentistry, Mahidol University.M Dent J. 2014; 34: 234-242
- Diagnosing, managing, and preventing cracked tooth syndrome.Gen Dent. 2012; 60: e302-e307
- Thermal fatigue in teeth.J Dent Res. 1972; 51: 461-467
- Comparative evaluation of various temperature changes on stress distribution in class II mesial-occlusal-distal preparation restored with different restorative materials: a finite element analysis.Int J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2018; 11: 167-170
- Modulus of elasticity in bending of composites and amalgams.J Prosthet Dent. 1986; 56: 243-248
- Thermal conductivity of tooth structure, dental cements, and amalgam.J Dent Res. 1961; 40: 411-418
- Cuspal flexure and stress in restored teeth caused by amalgam expansion.Oper Dent. 2018; 43: E300-E307
- Fracture strength of the remaining dental structure after different cavity preparation designs.Gen Dent. 2016; 64: 33-36
- Impact of cusp inclinations on dental fractures in cracked tooth syndrome model and relevant risk evaluation.Exp Ther Med. 2017; 14: 6027-6033
- Assessment of maximum voluntary bite force in adults with normal occlusion and different types of malocclusions.J Contemp Dent Pract. 2012; 13: 534-538
- Post placement and restoration of endodontically treated teeth: a literature review.J Endod. 2004; 30: 289-301
- A comparative evaluation of fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth, with variable marginal ridge thicknesses, restored with composite resin and composite resin reinforced with Ribbond: an in vitro study.Indian J Dent Res. 2013; 24: 193-198
- The effect of marginal ridge thickness on the fracture resistance of endodontically-treated, composite restored maxillary premolars.Oper Dent. 2007; 32: 285-290
- Dental implant placement is a possible risk factor for the development of multiple cracks in non-endodontically treated teeth.Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 8527
Published online: June 05, 2021
© 2021 American Association of Endodontists.