Incomplete endodontic treatment has been associated with detrimental health outcomes.
This retrospective study reviewed charts of patients receiving endodontic care over a 1-year period at the Postgraduate Endodontic Clinic at Rutgers School of Dental Medicine, Newark, NJ, to assess whether factors such as receipt of palliative endodontic care and demographic factors were associated with completion, or noncompletion, of initial nonsurgical root canal therapy (RCT).
A total of 1806 patient charts met the study inclusion criteria. With descriptive statistics and bivariate analysis, the variables of palliative care, Medicaid recipient, age group, and distance from the clinic were significantly associated with RCT completion (P < .05). In the binary logistic regression with all independent variables, palliative care and age group variables were the significant factors (P < .05). Patients who had no palliative care had 8.5 times the odds of completing RCT than patients who had received palliative care. The age group of 18–35 years had 0.59 times the odds of complete RCT than the age group <18 years.
Incomplete nonsurgical endodontic treatment is highly associated with the receipt of prior palliative care. Further research is indicated to investigate additional factors that may influence patient completion of endodontic care and opportunities to improve public health care program design to obtain optimal patient-centered outcomes.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A cross-sectional analysis of patient care pathways and profiles in a dental emergency department.Int Dent J. 2020; 70: 21-28
- Emergency pulpotomy: pain relieving effect with and without the use of sedative dressings.J Endod. 1989; 15: 254-256
- Delayed root canal therapy: an analysis of treatment over time.J Endod. 1992; 18: 387-390
- Progression of periapical cystic lesion after incomplete endodontic treatment.Restor Dent Endod. 2016; 41: 137-142
- Unfinished root canal treatments and the risk of cardiovascular disease.J Endod. 2015; 41: 1991-1996
- The role of unfinished root canal treatment in odontogenic maxillofacial infections requiring hospital care.Clin Oral Investig. 2013; 17: 113-121
- Association of unfinished root canal treatments with the risk of pneumonia hospitalization.J Endod. 2017; 43: 29-35
- Limited evidence suggested that unfinished root canal treatments may increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2016; 16: 249-250
- Key differences in dental care seeking behavior between Medicaid and non-Medicaid adults and children. Health Policy Institute Research Brief.American Dental Association, 2014 (Available at:)Accessed December 9, 2020)
- Determinants of dental care visits among low-income African-American children.J Am Dent Assoc. 2007; 138: 309-398
- Determinants of oral health care utilization among diverse groups of immigrants in New York City.J Am Dent Assoc. 2010; 141: 871-878
- Patterns of dental service utilization following nontraumatic dental condition visits to the emergency department in Wisconsin Medicaid.J Public Health Dent. 2014; 74: 34-41
- Assessment of alternative emergency treatments for symptomatic irreversible pulpitis: a randomized clinical trial.Int Endod J. 2018; 51: e227-e237
- Postoperative pain incidence related to the type of emergency treatment of symptomatic pulpitis.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1992; 73: 479-483
- Dental care after an emergency department visit for dental problems among adults enrolled in Medicaid.J Am Dent Assoc. 2016; 147: 111-119
- Endodontic treatment completion following emergency pulpectomy.Community Dent Health. 2010; 27: 114-117
- An assessment of endodontic treatment completion rate in a university-based student clinic and the factors associated with incomplete treatment.Aust Endod J. 2019; 45: 305-310
- Factors affecting children's adherence to regular dental attendance: a systematic review.J Am Dent Assoc. 2014; 145: 817-828
- Community factors predicting dental care utilization among older adults.J Am Dent Assoc. 2014; 145: 150-158
- Medicaid expansion and dental benefits coverage.(Available at:)Accessed November 4, 2020)
- Dental care.(Available at:)Accessed October 22, 2020)
- Endodontic treatment in single and multiple visits: an overview of systematic reviews.J Endod. 2017; 43: 864-870
- Single-visit or multiple-visit root canal treatment: systematic review, meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis.BMJ Open. 2017; 7: e013115
- Comparison of post-obturation pain experience following one-visit and two-visit root canal treatment on teeth with vital pulps: a randomized controlled trial.Int Endod J. 2010; 43: 692-697
- A comparative study of the single-visit and the multiple-visit endodontic procedure.J Endod. 1978; 4: 278-281
Published online: June 19, 2021
© 2021 American Association of Endodontists.