The aim of this study was to investigate the fracture resistance of endodontically treated and restored permanent mandibular molars with minimally invasive access cavities subjected to thermocycling and dynamic loading.
Forty first and second mandibular molars were randomly assigned to 4 groups (n = 10/group) as follows: group 1, control (intact teeth); group 2, traditional access cavity (TradAC); group 3, conservative access cavity (ConsAC); and group 4, truss access cavity (TrecAC). After endodontic treatment, teeth were restored with SDR core (Dentsply Caulk, Milford, DE) and subjected to thermocycling followed by dynamic and static loading with a multiaxial fatigue testing machine (Instron, Canton, MA). The maximum load to fracture and pattern of failure (restorable/unrestorable) were recorded. Data were evaluated with analysis of variance and the Tukey post hoc test for multiple comparisons.
Fracture resistance of the samples in the control group were higher than those in the experimental groups (P < .005). TradAC exhibited the least resistance to fracture (P < .005). There was no statistically significant difference in the fracture resistance of ConsAC and TrecAC (P = .361) Unrestorable fractures were more frequent in the TradAC group compared with all other groups.
Mandibular molars with ConsAC and TrecAC exhibited superior fracture resistance compared with TradAC. TradAC had the highest number of unrestorable fractures.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Long-term survival of endodontically treated teeth at a public dental specialist clinic.J Endod. 2015; 41: 176-181
- The effect of access cavities and canal enlargement on biomechanics of endodontically treated teeth: a finite element analysis.J Endod. 2020; 46: 1501-1507
- The effect of endodontic access cavities on fracture resistance of first maxillary molar using the extended finite element method.J Endod. 2019; 45: 316-321
- A prospective study on the effect of coronal tooth structure loss on the 4-year clinical survival of root canal retreated teeth, and retrospective validation of the Dental Practicality.Int Endod J. 2020; 53: 1040-1049
- Contracted endodontic cavities: the foundation for less invasive alternatives in the management of apical periodontitis.Endod Topics. 2015; 33: 169-186
- Modern molar endodontic access and directed dentin conservation.Dent Clin North Am. 2010; 54: 249-273
- Fracture strength of endodontically treated teeth with different access cavity designs.J Endod. 2017; 43: 995-1000
- Impacts of conservative endodontic cavity on root canal instrumentation efficacy and resistance to fracture assessed in incisors, premolars, and molars.J Endod. 2014; 40: 1160-1166
- Does the orifice-directed dentin conservation access design debride pulp chamber and mesial root canal systems of mandibular molars similar to a traditional access design?.J Endod. 2018; 44: 274-279
- Influence of access cavity preparation and remaining tooth substance on fracture strength of endodontically treated teeth.J Endod. 2018; 44: 1416-1421
- Fracture resistance of posterior teeth restored with modern restorative materials.J Biomed Res. 2011; 25: 418-424
- Fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth restored with a bulkfill flowable material and a resin composite.Ann Stomatol (Roma). 2016; 7: 4-10
- The effects of endodontic access cavity preparation design on the fracture strength of endodontically treated teeth: traditional versus conservative preparation.J Endod. 2018; 44: 800-805
- Depth of cure of bulk-fill flowable composite resins.Gen Dent. 2015; 63: e28-e34
- Does ultraconservative access affect the efficacy of root canal treatment and the fracture resistance of two-rooted maxillary premolars?.Int Endod J. 2020; 53: 265-275
- Research that matters: debunking the myth of the "fracture resistance" of root filled teeth.Int Endod J. 2021; 54: 297-300
- Current status on minimal access cavity preparations: a critical analysis and a proposal for a universal nomenclature.Int Endod J. 2020; 53: 1618-1635
- Effects of endodontic access cavity design and thermocycling on fracture strength of endodontically treated teeth.Clin Cosmet Investig Dent. 2020; 23: 149-156
- Endodontic cavity preparation.in: Ingle J. Tamber J. Endodontics. 3rd ed. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia1985: 102-167
- A practical guide to endodontic access cavity preparation in molar teeth.Br Dent J. 2007; 203: 133-140
- Case studies in modern molar endodontic access and directed dentin conservation.Dent Clin North Am. 2010; 54: 275-289
- Access cavity preparations.in: Schwartz R.S. Canakapalli V. Best Practices in Endodontics: A Desk Reference. 1st ed. Quintessence Publishing, Chicago2015: 89-104
- Spreader load required for vertical root fracture during lateral compaction ex vivo: evaluation of periodontal simulation and fracture load information.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008; 106: e64-e70
- Thermal cycling procedures for laboratory testing of dental restorations.J Dent. 1999; 27: 89-99
- Impacts of contracted endodontic cavities on instrumentation efficacy and biomechanical responses in maxillary molars.J Endod. 2016; 42: 1779-1783
- Fisher’s exact approach for post hoc analysis of a chi-squared test.PLoS One. 2017; 12: e0188709
- Mechanisms and risk factors for fracture predilection in endodontically treated teeth.Endod Topics. 2006; 13: 57-83
- Biomechanics of fractures in endodontically treated teeth.Endod Topics. 2015; 33: 3-13
- Long-term survival of endodontically treated molars without crown coverage: a retrospective cohort study.J Prosthet Dent. 2005; 93: 164-170
- Diagnosis of vertical root fractures in restored endodontically treated teeth: a time-dependent retrospective cohort study.J Endod. 2016; 42: 1175-1180
- Fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth restored with short fibre composite used as a core material-an in vitro study.J Prosthodont Res. 2017; 61: 464-470
- Rising R–curves in particulate/fiber-reinforced resin composite layered systems.J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2020; 103: 103537
Published online: July 04, 2021
© 2021 American Association of Endodontists.