The purpose of this study was to investigate the accuracy and efficiency of the 3-dimensional dynamic navigation system (DNS) compared with the freehand technique (FH) when removing fiber posts from root canal–treated teeth.
Twenty-six maxillary teeth were included. Teeth were root canal treated and restored with Parapost Taper Lux (Coltene/Whaledent, Altstätten, Switzerland) luted with RelyX Unicem (3M ESPE, St Paul, MN). A core buildup was then performed using Paracore (Coltene/Whaledent). Teeth were mounted in tissue-denuded cadaver maxillae. Teeth were divided into 2 groups: the DNS group (n = 13) and the FH group (n = 13). Cone-beam computed tomographic scans were taken pre- and postoperatively. The drilling path and depth were planned virtually using X-guide software (X-Nav Technologies, Lansdale, PA) in both groups. For the DNS group, drilling was guided with X-Nav software and the FH group under a dental operating microscope. Global coronal and apical deviations, angular deflection, operation time, and the number of mishaps were compared between the groups to determine the accuracy and efficiency. The 3-dimensional volume (mm3) of all teeth was calculated before and after post removal using the Mimics Innovation Suite (Materialise NV, Leuven, Belgium). The Shapiro-Wilk, 1-way analysis of variance, and Fisher exact tests were used (P < .05).
The DNS group showed significantly less global coronal and apical deviations and angular deflection than the FH group (P < .05). DNS required less operation time than FH. Moreover, the DNS technique had significantly less volumetric loss of tooth structure than the FH technique (P < .05).
The DNS was more accurate and efficient in removing fiber posts from root canal–treated teeth than the FH technique.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Post placement and restoration of endodontically treated teeth: a literature review.J Endod. 2004; 30: 289-301
- A comparative in vitro study of different techniques for removal of fibre posts from root canals.Aust Endod J. 2018; 44: 245-250
- Evaluation of a simplified fiber post removal system.J Endod. 2013; 39: 1431-1434
- Comparison of the efficiency and effectiveness of various techniques for removal of fiber posts.J Endod. 2005; 31: 520-522
- Incidence of root fractures and methods used for post removal.Int Endod J. 2002; 35: 63-67
- Clinical outcomes and success rates of quartz fiber post restorations: a retrospective study.J Prosthet Dent. 2015; 114: 367-372
- Factors influencing the removal of posts.Stomatologija. 2005; 7: 21-23
- Three-dimensional-guided removal and preparation of dental root posts-concept and feasibility.J Prosthodont Res. 2020; 64: 104-108
- Restoration of the anterior maxilla after thermal trauma as a sequela to post removal: a clinical report.J Prosthet Dent. 2011; 106: 141-144
- Effect of computer-aided navigation techniques on the accuracy of endodontic access cavities: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Biology (Basel). 2021; 10: 212
- Optimisation of a guided endodontics protocol for removal of fibre-reinforced posts.Aust Endod J. 2020; 46: 107-114
- Three-dimensional endodontic guide for adhesive fiber post removal: a dental technique.J Prosthet Dent. 2019; 121: 387-390
- Endodontic guide for the conservative removal of a fiber-reinforced composite resin post.J Prosthet Dent. 2021;
- Computer technology applications in surgical implant dentistry: a systematic review.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014; 29: 25-42
- Computer-aided dynamic navigation: a novel method for guided endodontics.Quintessence Int. 2019; 50: 196-202
- Accuracy of computer-assisted dynamic navigation in implant placement with a fully digital approach: a prospective clinical trial.J Clin Med. 2021; 10: 1808
- Guided endodontic access in a maxillary molar using a dynamic navigation system.J Endod. 2021; 47: 658-662
- Precision of dynamic navigation to perform endodontic ultraconservative access cavities: a preliminary in vitro analysis.J Endod. 2020; 46: 1286-1290
- 3-Dimensional accuracy of dynamic navigation technology in locating calcified canals.J Endod. 2020; 46: 839-845
- Accuracy and efficiency of a dynamic navigation system for locating calcified canals.J Endod. 2020;
- Accuracy and efficiency of guided root-end resection using a dynamic navigation system: a human cadaver study.Int Endod J. 2021; 54: 793-801
- Endodontic microsurgery using dynamic navigation system: a case report.J Endod. 2019; 45: 1397-1402
- Intraosseous anesthesia using dynamic navigation technology.J Endod. 2020; 46: 1894-1900
- Implant placement is more accurate using dynamic navigation.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017; 75: 1377-1386
- 10-year survival evaluation for glass-fiber-supported postendodontic restoration: a prospective observational clinical study.J Endod. 2012; 38: 432-435
- The precision of the RoboDent system — an in vitro study.in: Lemke H.U. Inamura K. Doi K. CARS 2002 Computer Assisted Radiology Surgery. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Berlin, Heidelberg:2002: 947-952
- Implant placement accuracy using dynamic navigation.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2017; 32: 92-99
- Exploring training dental implant placement using computer-guided implant navigation system for predoctoral students: a pilot study.Eur J Dent Educ. 2019; 23: 415-423
- Comparison of the efficacies of two different fiber post-removal systems: a micro-computed tomography study.Microsc Res Tech. 2019; 82: 394-401
- Effects of root canal preparation, various filling techniques and retreatment after filling on vertical root fracture and crack formation.Dent Traumatol. 2015; 31: 302-307
- Guided access cavity preparation using cone-beam computed tomography and optical surface scans - an ex vivo study.Int Endod J. 2016; 49: 790-795
- Guided endodontics: accuracy of a novel method for guided access cavity preparation and root canal location.Int Endod J. 2016; 49: 966-972
Published online: July 12, 2021
© 2021 American Association of Endodontists.