The aim of this study was to compare E1-Irrisonic (Helse Ultrasonics, Ocoee, FL) and Irri Black (Helse Ultrasonics), a novel ultrasonic tip with diamondlike carbon treatment, regarding their design, metallurgy, microhardness, bending resistance, and time to fracture under the oscillatory fatigue test.
A total of 17 E1-Irrisonic and 17 Irri Black new ultrasonic tips were selected. The tip geometry and surface finishing were assessed using scanning electron microscopy. The elemental composition was defined by energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy. Hardness Knoop was calculated using a microhardness tester. The maximum load required to displace the instrument in 45° was recorded in gram/force, oscillatory fatigue was measured in seconds at the moment of instrument fracture, and the size of the separate fragments was determined in millimeters. The Student t test was used for statistical comparison (α = 5%).
Scanning electron microscopic analyses revealed that E1-Irrisonic had a flat end tip, whereas a noncutting rounded tip was observed in Irri Black. The surface of E1-Irrisonic was smoother than Irri Black, which was irregular. Energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopic analyses showed that the elemental compositions of the E1-Irrisonic and Irri Black tips were consistent with stainless steel and titanium-aluminum alloys, respectively. Irri Black showed significantly higher bending load resistance, time to fracture under oscillatory motion, and hardness Knoop than the E1-Irrisonic tip (P < .05), whereas the length of fragments was similar (P > .05).
Diamondlike carbon treatment improved hardness Knoop and reduced the flexibility of the Irri Black ultrasonic tip, improving its time to fracture under oscillatory motion compared with the nontreated E1-Irrisonic tip.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Effects of dentin on the antimicrobial properties of endodontic medicaments.J Endod. 2007; 33: 917-925
- Adjunctive steps for the removal of hard tissue debris from the anatomic complexities of the mesial root canal system of mandibular molars: a micro-computed tomographic study.J Endod. 2020; 46: 1508-1514
- Passive ultrasonic irrigation of the root canal: a review of the literature.Int Endod J. 2007; 40: 415-426
- The use of ultrasonic in root canal therapy and root resection.J Dent Med. 1957; 12: 8-12
- Ultrasonic disinfection of the root canal.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1976; 42: 92-99
- Measurement and visualization of file-to-wall contact during ultrasonically activated irrigation in simulated canals.Int Endod J. 2013; 46: 1046-1055
- Ultrasonic debridement of root canals: acoustic streaming and its possible role.J Endod. 1987; 13: 490-499
- Disinfection of the root canal system by sonic, ultrasonic, and laser activated irrigation.in: Cohenca N. Disinfection of Root Canal Systems: The Treatment of Apical Periodontitis. 1 ed. John Wiley & Sons, Inc, Oxford, UK2014: 217-238
- Biofilm Highlights. Springer Series on Biofilms.1 ed. Springer, Berlin, Germany2011
- New resources to mitigate failure in root canal treatment and retreatment.Endod Practice USA. 2018; 10: 28-33
- Effect of ultrasonic activation on the reduction of bacteria and endotoxins in root canals: a randomized clinical trial.Int Endod J. 2018; 51: e12-e22
- Micro-CT evaluation of different final irrigation protocols on the removal of hard-tissue debris from isthmus-containing mesial root of mandibular molars.Clin Oral Investig. 2019; 23: 681-687
- Retreatability of BC Sealer and AH Plus root canal sealers using new supplementary instrumentation protocol during non-surgical endodontic retreatment.Clin Oral Investig. 2021; 25: 891-899
- Handbook of Thin Film Materials.1 ed. Academic Press, San Diego2002
- Ultrasonics in endodontics: a review of the literature.J Endod. 2007; 33: 81-95
- Comparison of the cutting efficiency of two ultrasonic units utilizing two different tips at two different power settings.J Endod. 2005; 31: 824-826
- Evaluation of cutting efficiency of ultrasonic tips used in orthograde endodontic treatment.J Endod. 2006; 32: 359-361
- Evaluation of the breakage of orthograde endodontic ultrasonic tips.J Endod. 2014; 40: 2074-2076
- Breakage of ultrasonic root-end preparation tips.J Endod. 1996; 22: 287-289
- Impact of a retained instrument on treatment outcome: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Endod. 2010; 36: 775-780
- The impact of instrument fracture on outcome of endodontic treatment.J Endod. 2005; 31: 845-850
- Ultrasonic endodontics: the wear of instruments with usage.J Endod. 1986; 12: 279-283
- An analysis of breakage of ultrasonic files during root canal instrumentation.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1989; 5: 78-82
- Some observations on the breakage of ultrasonic files driven piezoelectrically.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1994; 10: 71-76
- Evaluation of design, metallurgy, microhardness, and mechanical properties of glide path instruments: a multimethod approach.J Endod. 2021; 47: 1917-1923
- Diamondlike carbon coating as a galvanic corrosion barrier between dental implant abutments and nickel-chromium superstructures.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2013; 28: 1037-1047
- Effects of a diamond-like carbon coating on the frictional properties of orthodontic wires.Angle Orthod. 2011; 81: 141-148
- Frictional and mechanical properties of diamond-like carbon-coated orthodontic brackets.Eur J Orthod. 2013; 35: 216-222
- Influence of implant drill materials on wear, deformation, and roughness after repeated drilling and sterilization.Implant Dent. 2014; 23: 188-194
- Comparison of retrograde cavities prepared by ultrasonic tips and burs.J Endod. 1993; 19: 206
- Treatment outcome of young molars obstructed by fractured endodontic instruments: two case reports.RSD. 2020; 9 (e3149108537)
- A review of modified DLC coatings for biological applications.Diam Relat Mater. 2003; 12: 583-589
- Nonsemiconductor applications of PIII&D.in: Anders A. Handbook of Plasma Immersion Ion Implantation and Deposition. Wiley & Sons, New York2000
- Diamond-like carbon films for PET bottles and medical applications.Thin Solid Films. 2006; 494: 84-91
- Diamond-like carbon-based functionally gradient coatings for space tribology.Surf Coat Technology. 1999; 120-121: 548-554
Published online: December 22, 2022
© 2022 American Association of Endodontists.