MicroRNAs have been shown to play a role in the pathogenesis of apical periodontitis. Upregulation of miR-10a-5p and downregulation of miR-891a-5p were previously reported in apical periodontitis samples. This study aims to perform a functional characterization of miR-10a-5p, investigating its capacity to regulate the expression of inflammatory cytokines and growth factors, as well as a possible co-regulation mechanism with miR-891a-5p in the development of apical periodontitis.
miR-10a-5p mimics/controls and miR-891a-5p inhibitors/controls were introduced to human K-562 cells in the presence or absence of lipopolysaccharide. Total RNA was extracted from cell lysates, and target genes were examined via quantitative reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction. Cell lysates were also subjected to proteomics analysis. Furthermore, mimics of miR-10a-5p and inhibitors of miR-891a-5p were co-transfected into K-562 cells. RNA sequencing and quantitative reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction were carried out to examine their target genes.
Overexpression of miR-10a-5p led to downregulation of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-1 beta mRNA and upregulation of transforming growth factor-beta 1 (TGFB1) mRNA expression, whereas interleukin 3 and TGF-β1 proteins were upregulated. Simultaneous overexpression of miR-10a-5p and inhibition of miR-891a-5p further increased TGFB1 mRNA transcript levels. RNA sequencing revealed that genes co-regulated by miR-10a-5p and miR-891a-5p may be involved in apical periodontitis-related pathways such as tumor necrosis factor, transient receptor potential, and vascular endothelial growth factor signaling pathways.
miR-10a-5p may modulate the expression of multiple inflammatory cytokines and growth factors such as tumor necrosis factor-alpha, IL-1β, interleukin 3, and TGF-β1. In addition, miR-10a-5p and miR-891a-5p cooperatively regulate TGFB1 gene expression, and the gene network of this co-regulation is integrated with many pathways in apical periodontitis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- On the causes of persistent apical periodontitis: a review.Int Endod J. 2006; 39: 249-281
- The effects of surgical exposures of dental pulps in germ-free and conventional laboratory rats.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1965; 20: 340-349
- Apical periodontitis: a dynamic encounter between root canal infection and host response.Periodontol 2000. 1997; 13: 121-148
- MicroRNAs: genomics, biogenesis, mechanism, and function.Cell. 2004; 116: 281-297
- Biogenesis of small RNAs in animals.Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2009; 10: 126-139
- MicroRNAs: target recognition and regulatory functions.Cell. 2009; 136: 215-233
- Overview of MicroRNA biogenesis, mechanisms of Actions, and circulation.Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2018; 9: 402
- MicroRNAs: emerging players in apical periodontitis.J Appl Oral Sci. 2021; 29: e20201058
- microRNA expression in rat apical periodontitis bone lesion.Bone Res. 2013; 1: 170-185
- MicroRNAs: new insights into the pathogenesis of endodontic periapical disease.J Endod. 2013; 39: 1498-1503
- Expression profiles of inflammation-associated microRNAs in periapical lesions and human periodontal ligament fibroblasts inflammation.J Endod. 2016; 42: 1773-1778
- Expression profiling and functional characterization of MicroRNAs in apical periodontitis.J Endod. 2021; 47: 263-271
- MicroRNA-335-5p plays dual roles in periapical lesions by complex regulation pathways.J Endod. 2017; 43: 1323-1328
- MicroRNA-146a and Hey2 form a mutual negative feedback loop to regulate the inflammatory response in chronic apical periodontitis.J Cell Biochem. 2019; 120: 645-657
- MicroRNA-181b-5p modulates tumor necrosis factor-alpha-induced inflammatory responses by targeting interleukin-6 in cementoblasts.J Cell Physiol. 2019; 234: 22719-22730
- Quantitative analysis of cellular composition of human periapical granuloma.J Endod. 1981; 7: 117-122
- Differentiation of K562 leukemia cells along erythroid, macrophage, and megakaryocyte lineages.J Biol Response Mod. 1986; 5: 250-262
- Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) method.Methods. 2001; 25: 402-408
- After another decade: LC-MS/MS became routine in clinical diagnostics.Clin Biochem. 2020; 82: 2-11
- Development of human protein reference database as an initial platform for approaching systems biology in humans.Genome Res. 2003; 13: 2363-2371
- Human protein reference database–2009 update.Nucleic Acids Res. 2009; 37: D767-D772
- StringTie enables improved reconstruction of a transcriptome from RNA-seq reads.Nat Biotechnol. 2015; 33: 290-295
- edgeR: a Bioconductor package for differential expression analysis of digital gene expression data.Bioinformatics. 2010; 26: 139-140
- Gene ontology: tool for the unification of biology. The gene ontology consortium.Nat Genet. 2000; 25: 25-29
- A database for post-genome analysis.Trends Genet. 1997; 13: 375-376
- Stem cells from the apical papilla: a promising source for Stem cell-based therapy.Biomed Res Int. 2019; 2019: 6104738
- Functions and mechanisms of microRNA-31 in human cancers.Biomed Pharmacother. 2018; 108: 1162-1169
- TGF-Β and the TGF-β family: context-dependent roles in cell and tissue physiology.Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2016; 8: a021873
- TGF-Beta and wound healing.Ciba Found Symp. 1991; 157 (discussion 23-9): 115-123
- Vascular endothelial growth factor and/or nerve growth factor treatment induces expression of dentinogenic, neuronal, and healing markers in stem cells of the apical papilla.J Endod. 2021; 47: 924-931
- The miR-200 family and miR-205 regulate epithelial to mesenchymal transition by targeting ZEB1 and SIP1.Nat Cell Biol. 2008; 10: 593-601
- Regulation of multiple target genes by miR-1 and miR-206 is pivotal for C2C12 myoblast differentiation.J Cell Sci. 2012; 125: 3590-3600
- IL-3 promotes osteoblast differentiation and bone formation in human mesenchymal stem cells.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012; 418: 669-675
- Interleukin-3 enhances the migration of human mesenchymal stem cells by regulating expression of CXCR4.Stem Cell Res Ther. 2017; 8: 168
- Inducing apical periodontitis in mice.J Vis Exp. 2019; 150: e59521
Published online: January 07, 2023
© 2023 American Association of Endodontists.