Tooth replacement often leads to insufficient vertical volume in the recipient socket bone. The aim of this novel report is to present a successful fully guided autotransplantation of a maxillary right third molar (tooth #1) with its attached buccal plate. The procedure was combined with a palatal connective tissue graft to reconstruct a buccal hard and soft tissue defect of an irreparable maxillary right first molar (tooth #3).
A 45-year-old man complaining of pain in tooth #3 came to the clinic. Tooth #3 was non-restorable due to an extensive caries and a vertical root fracture of the mesiobuccal root, leading to a total loss of the buccal cortical plate. Guided autotransplantation of tooth #1 was completed by using 3-dimensional surgical templates for implant burs and a 3-dimensional-printed replica. After positioning the donor tooth, the cortical plate was fixed to the recipient socket with osteosynthesis screws. A connective tissue graft was also harvested to increase the band of keratinized gingiva and the thickness of the buccal soft tissue. At 6-month follow-up, the screws were removed, showing excellent regeneration throughout the buccal area.
At 3-year follow-up, the transplanted tooth was asymptomatic, with a natural bone level and no signs of replacement or inflammatory root resorption.
The use of a donor tooth and its attached bone cortical plate combined simultaneously with a connective tissue graft appears to improve hard and soft tissues in a single procedure.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The replantation and transplantation of teeth. A review.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1970; 29: 397-419
- Success, survival rate, and soft tissue esthetic of tooth autotransplantation.J Endod. 2021; 47: 391-396
- Long-term outcomes of autotransplantation of teeth: a case series.J Endod. 2019; 45: S72-S83
- Allotransplantation and autotransplantation of mature teeth in monkeys: the influence of endodontic treatment.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1988; 46: 672-681
- A long-term study of 370 autotransplanted premolars. Part I. Surgical procedures and standardized techniques for monitoring healing.Eur J Orthod. 1990; 12: 3-13
- Clinical procedures and outcome of surgical extrusion, intentional replantation and tooth autotransplantation–a narrative review.Int Endod J. 2020; 53: 1636-1652
- A clinical follow-up study of 278 autotransplanted teeth.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1996; 34: 181-185
- Evaluating success of autotransplantation of embedded/impacted third molars harvested using piezosurgery: a pilot study.Acta Odontol Scand. 2014; 72: 846-851
- Tooth transplantations: a descriptive retrospective study.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005; 34: 745-755
- Root development of immature third molars transplanted to surgically created sockets.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008; 66: 1200-1211
- A prospective study on transplantation of third molars with complete root formation.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2004; 97: 231-238
- Clinical study on prognostic factors for autotransplantation of teeth with complete root formation.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010; 39: 1193-1203
- Autotransplantation of teeth with complete root formation: a case series.J Endod. 2010; 36: 1422-1426
- Autotransplantation of third molars with completely formed roots into surgically created sockets and fresh extraction sockets: a 10-year comparative study.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017; 46: 531-538
- Does root development status affect the outcome of tooth autotransplantation? A systematic review and meta-analysis.Materials (Basel). 2022; 15: 3379
- Long-term prognosis of tooth autotransplantation: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 45: 610-617
- The prospective study of autotransplanted severely impacted developing premolars: periodontal status and the long-term outcome.J Clin Periodontol. 2014; 41: 489-496
- Clinical application of computer-aided rapid prototyping for tooth transplantation.Dent Traumatol. 2001; 17: 114-119
- Guided autotransplant of a first premolar to replace a maxillary ankylosed incisor using a custom-designed osteotome.J Am Dent Assoc. 2022; 153: 265-272
- Impacted maxillary canine with curved apex: three-dimensional guided protocol for autotransplantation.J Endod. 2022; 48: 379-387
- Prognostic factors for autotransplantation of teeth with complete root formation.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2012 Nov; 114: S216-S228
- Autotransplantation of mandibular third molar with buccal cortical plate to replace vertically fractured mandibular second molar: a novel technique.J Endod. 2017; 43: 1574-1578
- Autotransplantation of immature third molars into edentulous and atrophied jaw sections.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 33: 558-563
- 3D printing in dentistry.Br Dent J. 2015; 219: 521-529
- Rapid prototyping in dentistry: technology and application.Int J Adv Manuf Technol. 2006; 29: 317-335
- Endodontic applications of 3D printing.Int Endod J. 2018; 51: 1005-1018
- 3D computer aided treatment planning in endodontics.J Dent. 2016; 45: 67-72
- Cone beam computed tomography in endodontics–a review of the literature.Int Endod J. 2019; 52: 1138-1152
- The future of dental devices is digital.Dent Mater. 2012; 28: 3-12
- Guided tooth autotransplantation in edentulous areas post-orthodontic treatment.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2021; 33: 685-691
- Guided dndodontic access of calcified anterior teeth.J Endod. 2018; 44: 1195-1199
- Autotransplantation of teeth using computer-aided rapid prototyping of a three-dimensional replica of the donor tooth: a systematic literature review.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017; 46: 1466-1474
- Interrelation between alveolar bone and periodontal ligament repair after replantation of mature permanent incisors in monkeys.J Periodontal Res. 1981; 16: 228-235
- Outcomes of autotransplanted teeth with complete root formation: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Clin Periodontol. 2014; 41: 412-423
Published online: January 06, 2023
Data Availability Statement: Data sharing not applicable to this article as no datasets were generated or analyzed during the current study.
© 2023 American Association of Endodontists.