Prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) exerts biological actions through its transport pathway involving intracellular synthesis, extracellular transport, and receptor binding. This study aimed to determine the localization of the components of the PGE2-transporting pathway in human dental pulp and explore the relevance of PGE2 receptors (EP2/EP4) to angiogenesis and dentinogenesis.
Protein localization of microsomal PGE2 (mPGES)synthase, PGE2 transporters (multidrug resistance-associated protein-4 [MRP4] and prostaglandin transporter [PGT]), and EP2/EP4 was analyzed using double immunofluorescence staining. Tooth slices from human third molars were cultured with or without butaprost (EP2 agonist) or rivenprost (EP4 agonist) for 1 week. Morphometric analysis of endothelial cell filopodia was performed to evaluate angiogenesis, and real-time polymerase chain reaction was performed to evaluate angiogenesis and odontoblast differentiation markers.
MRP4 and PGT were colocalized with mPGES and EP2/EP4 in odontoblasts and endothelial cells. Furthermore, MRP4 was colocalized with mPGES and EP4 in human leukocyte antigen-DR-expressing dendritic cells. In the tooth slice culture, EP2/EP4 agonists induced significant increases in the number and length of filopodia and mRNA expression of angiogenesis markers (vascular endothelial growth factor and fibroblast growth factor-2) and odontoblast differentiation markers (dentin sialophosphoprotein and collagen type 1).
PGE2-producing enzyme (mPGES), transporters (MRP4 and PGT), and PGE2-specific receptors (EP2/EP4) were immunolocalized in various cellular components of the human dental pulp. EP2/EP4 agonists promoted endothelial cell filopodia generation and upregulated angiogenesis- and odontoblast differentiation-related genes, suggesting that PGE2 binding to EP2/EP4 is associated with angiogenic and dentinogenic responses.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Inflammatory response of the dental pulp to bacterial irritation.J Endod. 1981; 7: 100-104
- Pulp interstitial fluid pressure and blood flow after denervation and electrical tooth stimulation in the ferret.Arch Oral Biol. 1997; 42: 407-415
- Transforming growth factor-beta 1 (TGF-beta 1) expression in normal healthy pulps and in those with irreversible pulpitis.Int Endod J. 2004; 37: 114-119
- Pharmacology of peripheral neuropeptide and inflammatory mediator release.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1994; 78: 503-510
- The eicosanoids and their biochemical mechanisms of action.Biochem J. 1989; 259: 315-324
- Prostaglandins and leukotrienes: advances in eicosanoid biology.Science. 2001; 294: 1871-1875
- The impermeability of the basic cell membrane to thromboxane-B2' prostacyclin and 6-keto-PGF 1 alpha.Prostaglandins. 1981; 21: 133-142
- Identification and characterization of a prostaglandin transporter.Science. 1995; 268: 866-869
- The human multidrug resistance protein MRP4 functions as a prostaglandin efflux transporter and is inhibited by nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003; 100: 9244-9249
- Prostaglandin transporting protein-mediated prostaglandin E2 transport in lipopolysaccharide-inflamed rat dental pulp.J Endod. 2014; 40: 1112-1117
- Prostanoid receptors: structures, properties, and functions.Physiol Rev. 1999; 79: 1193-1226
- Prostaglandin E2 stimulates EP2, adenylate cyclase, phospholipase C, and intracellular calcium release to mediate cyclic adenosine monophosphate production in dental pulp cells.J Endod. 2016; 42: 584-588
- Cytokine-induced prostaglandin E2 production and cyclooxygenase-2 expression in dental pulp cells: downstream calcium signalling via activation of prostaglandin EP receptor.Int Endod J. 2006; 39: 819-826
- Prostanoid signal transduction and gene expression in the endothelium: role in cardiovascular diseases.Cardiovasc Res. 2006; 70: 446-456
- Effects of pulpotomy using mineral trioxide aggregate on prostaglandin transporter and receptors in rat molars.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 6870
- Axon guidance molecules in vascular patterning.Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2010; 2: a001875
- Endothelial cell invasion is controlled by dactylolpodia.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2021; 118 (e2023829118)
- Endocardial tip cells in the human embryo - facts and hypotheses.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0115853
- Potent synergism between vascular endothelial growth factor and basic fibroblast growth factor in the induction of angiogenesis in vitro.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1992; 189: 824-831
- Gene expression patterns of murine dentin matrix protein 1 (Dmp1) and dentin sialophosphoprotein (DSPP) suggest distinct developmental functions in vivo.J Bone Miner Res. 1997; 12: 2040-2049
- Dentin phosphoprotein and dentin sialoprotein are cleavage products expressed from a single transcript coded by a gene on human chromosome 4. Dentin phosphoprotein DNA sequence determination.J Biol Chem. 1997; 272: 835-842
- Dentin sialophosphoprotein in biomineralization.Connect Tissue Res. 2010; 51: 404-417
- Immunohistochemical demonstration of prostaglandins E2, F2 alpha, and 6-keto-prostaglandin F1 alpha in rat dental pulp with experimentally induced inflammation.J Endod. 1996; 22: 600-602
- Prostaglandin E2 regulates the expression of basic fibroblast growth factor messenger RNA in normal human fibroblasts.Kobe J Med Sci. 2001; 47: 35-45
- The cAMP-EPAC pathway mediates PGE2-induced FGF2 in bovine granulosa cells.Endocrinology. 2018; 159: 3482-3491
- Endothelin-1-induced prostaglandin E2-EP2, EP4 signaling regulates vascular endothelial growth factor production and ovarian carcinoma cell invasion.J Biol Chem. 2004; 279: 46700-46705
- Role of angiogenesis in endodontics: contributions of stem cells and proangiogenic and antiangiogenic factors to dental pulp regeneration.J Endod. 2015; 41: 797-803
- Mechanisms of Angiogenesis.Nature. 1997; 386: 671-674
- An EP2 receptor-selective prostaglandin E2 agonist induces bone healing.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003; 100: 6736-6740
- Stimulation of bone formation and prevention of bone loss by prostaglandin E EP4 receptor activation.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002; 99: 4580-4585
- EP2 and EP4 receptors differentially mediate MAPK pathways underlying anabolic actions of prostaglandin E2 on bone formation in rat calvaria cell cultures.Bone. 2009; 44: 1177-1185
- PGE2 differentially regulates monocyte-derived dendritic cell cytokine responses depending on receptor usage (EP2/EP4).Mol Immunol. 2013; 54: 284-295
- Prostaglandin E2 is generally required for human dendritic cell migration and exerts its effect via EP2 and EP4 receptors.J Immunol. 2006; 176: 966-973
Published online: February 07, 2023
© 2023 American Association of Endodontists.