This study aimed to compare the in vivo accuracy and precision of 3 electronic apex locators (EALs) in determining the position of the major foramen using micro–computed tomographic (micro-CT) technology.
After access preparation of 23 necrotic or vital teeth from 5 patients, canals were negotiated, and hand files were used to determine the position of the foramen with 3 EALs: Propex Pixi (Dentsply Maillefer, Ballaigues, Switzerland), Woodpex III (Woodpecker Medical Instrument Co, Guilin, China), and Root ZX II (J Morita, Tokyo, Japan). After fixing the silicon stop to the file, teeth were extracted and scanned in a micro-CT device with and without the instrument inserted into the canal. Data sets were coregistered, and the accuracy and precision of the EALs were determined at a tolerance level of ±0.5 mm by measuring the distance from the tip of the instruments to a tangential line crossing the margins of the foramen. Statistical comparisons were performed using Friedman with post hoc related samples sign and Spearman tests (α = 5%).
A significant difference was detected comparing the accuracy of Root ZX II (100%), Woodpex III (86.96%), and Propex Pixi (52.17%) (P < .05). There was a lack of significance in the relationship between the pulp status and the accuracy of the tested EALs (P > .05). Propex Pixi was significantly less precise than Root ZX II (P < .05), whereas no difference was found between Woodpex III and Root ZX II or Propex Pixi (P > .05).
EALs presented similar precision, but Woodpex III and Root ZX II showed better accuracy to determine the position of the apical major foramen than Propex Pixi.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Endodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A SEM study of in vivo accuracy of the Root ZX electronic apex locator.J Endod. 1998; 24: 438-441
- An in vivo comparison of working length determination by only root-ZX apex locator versus combining root-ZX apex locator with radiographs using a new impression technique.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008; 105: e79-e83
- An in vivo comparison of working length determination of two frequency-based electronic apex locators.Int Endod J. 2009; 42: 1026-1031
- Evaluation of the accuracy of nine electronic apex locators by using Micro-CT.Int Endod J. 2018; 51: 223-232
- Micro-CT study of the in vivo accuracy of a wireless electronic apex locator.J Endod. 2022; 48: 1152-1160
- The use of micro-computed tomography to determine the accuracy of 2 electronic apex locators and anatomic variations affecting their precision.J Endod. 2016; 42: 1263-1267
- A micro-computed tomographic evaluation of the accuracy of 3 electronic apex locators in curved canals of mandibular molars.J Endod. 2018; 44: 1872-1877
- The use of micro-computed tomography to determine the accuracy of electronic working length with two apex locators.J Oral Sci. 2021; 63: 167-169
- Accuracy of Root ZX II in locating foramen in teeth with apical periodontitis: an in vivo study.J Endod. 2011; 37: 1213-1216
- Evaluation of the reliability of cone-beam computed tomography scanning and electronic apex locator measurements in working length determination of teeth with large periapical lesions.J Endod. 2016; 42: 1334-1337
- Determination of the accuracy of 5 electronic apex locators in the function of different employment protocols.J Endod. 2017; 43: 1663-1667
- The accuracy of electronic apex locators for determining working length: an in vitro study with artificial teeth.Aust Endod J. 2021; 47: 217-221
- In vivo evaluation of 3 electronic apex locators: Root ZX Mini, Apex ID, and Propex Pixi.J Endod. 2020; 46: 158-161
- Eficacia in vitro de dos localizadores electrónicos apicales Woodpex III y Propex Pixi en piezas uniradiculares.Vis Odontol. 2018; 5: 34-40
- Comparación de la precisión de la longitud de trabajo de cuatro localizadores apicales electrónicos con limas de acero inoxidable y níquel-titanio en conductos mesiovestibulares de primeras molares inferiores.Rev Cient Odontol. 2020; 8: e28-e36
- The influence of periapical lesions on the repeatability of two electronic apex locators in vivo.Clin Oral Investig. 2021; 25: 5239-5245
- A critical analysis of research methods and experimental models to study working length determination and the performance of apex locators–a narrative review with recommendations for the future.Int Endod J. 2022; 55: 281-294
- Outcome of primary root canal treatment: systematic review of the literature–part 2. Influence of clinical factors.Int Endod J. 2008; 41: 6-31
- An evaluation of Root ZX and iPex apex locators: an in vivo study.J Endod. 2011; 37: 608-610
- In vivo accuracy of conventional and digital radiographic methods in confirming root canal working length determination by Root ZX.J Appl Oral Sci. 2012; 20: 522-525
- A Comparison between in vivo radiographic working length determination and measurement after extraction.J Endod. 2006; 32: 624-627
- In vivo comparison of working length determination with two electronic apex locators.Int Endod J. 2007; 40: 133-138
- In vivo evaluation of the iPex and Root ZX electronic apex locators using various irrigants.Int Endod J. 2013; 46: 769-774
- An in vivo evaluation of Root ZX electronic apex locator.J Endod. 1996; 22: 616-618
- An in vivo evaluation of an electronic apex locator that uses the ratio method in vital and necrotic canals.J Endod. 1998; 24: 48-50
- Comparación de la conductometría electrónica en conductos curvos simulados antes y después de la colocación de hidróxido de calcio.Rev Fac Odont Buenos Aires. 2021; 35: 7-11
- An in vitro evaluation of the accuracy of four electronic apex locators using stainless-steel and nickel-titanium hand files.Restor Dent Endod. 2016; 41: 6-11
- A comparative evaluation of accuracy of three electronic apex locators using histological section as gold standard: an ex vivo study.J Conserv Dent. 2017; 20: 251-254
- Ex vivo evaluation of the accuracy of 3 electronic apex locators in different environments: a micro-computed tomography study.Eur Endod J. 2020; 5: 226-230
- An in vivo evaluation of the auto apical reverse function of the Root ZX II.Int Endod J. 2012; 45: 950-954
- Accuracy of electronic apex locators in comparison to actual length–an in vivo study.J Dent. 2005; 33: 619-625
- An in vivo evaluation of different methods of working length determination.J Contemp Dent Pract. 2013; 14: 644-648
- An in vivo comparison of two frequency-based electronic apex locators.J Endod. 2003; 29: 497-500
- Influence of apical periodontitis on the accuracy of 3 electronic root canal length measurement devices: an in vivo study.J Endod. 2014; 40: 355-359
Published online: February 25, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 American Association of Endodontists.